SA 8300HD recording to PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2005, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone tried and had any success recording to a computer instead of a VCR. I have a HTPC connected to my HDTV . My kids play games, surf the internet, play music and do various other things with it. My cable box is a SA 8300HD.
The computer is equipped with an ATI 9600xt AIW videocard. What would i need to do to record to the inputs on the video card? And is it even possible. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2005, 05:27 AM

The cable box cannot tell what sort of device is at the other end from its composite and S-video outputs. I don't know what you could be worrying about. When you have started the "Copy to VCR" operation, regular NTSC video goes on the composite and S-video connectors. (No S-video if your box is in SDTV mode.) In a sense, the "Copy to VCR" function is misnamed. It is really "Copy to composite and S-video outputs". The chosen name corresponds only to the most common expected usage of the feature.

(Interestingly, the box can know something about what sort of device it is connected to via the HDMI connector.)
Old 03-17-2005, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

i guess the limiting factor is what is at the other end of the cables. Im going to have to play around with the ATI software and see what i can come up with. Ill report back any sucess.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:18 PM

Works fine for me. I just plug the RCA plugs into my ATI All-In-Wonder video card. Save it as a high quality mpeg, & optionally, process it with SVCD2DVD if I want it as a DVD.

Jack Hamilton
Sugar Land, TX
Old 04-07-2005, 02:13 PM

Anyone ever try hooking it up to the PC using USB or FireWire? I wonder what would happen. I tried it with the 8000HD but since the ports arent even activated, nothign happens. I wonder if a little windows XP balloon will pop up saying "found new hardware: SA Explorer 8300HD" lol.