HD PVR with built in DVD recorder? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-17-2005, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First time posting on this site, please be kind as I have little knowledge of AV.
I am in the process of purchasing a new TV, PVR, DVD player, and receiver for my home. Is there such thing as a PVR that can record in HD and also be able to burn regular tv programs to DVD's. If not, I am having trouble deciding whether to get a HD DVR box from Time Warner or purchase a DVD recorder with a hard drive and basic Tivo.
Any suggestions?
My Tv also has 2 HDMI inputs. Can you recommend a HD PVR or hard drive dvd player that has HDMI outputs?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-28-2005, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

The answer to your first question is no.

I would get the HD DVR from Timer Warner which will probably have an HDMI output BTW.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-04-2005, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have a scientifis atlanta hd pvr which has a dvi output. You can buy a dvd recorder ( the prices have come way down) and transfer programs from your pvr to the recorder if you wish.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-04-2005, 01:45 PM

At least one manufacturer has announced such a box:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050402/clsa001.html?.v=1

henning
www.hdblog.net
post #5 of 5 Old 04-05-2005, 06:32 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally posted by atsu888
First time posting on this site, please be kind as I have little knowledge of AV.
I am in the process of purchasing a new TV, PVR, DVD player, and receiver for my home. Is there such thing as a PVR that can record in HD and also be able to burn regular tv programs to DVD's. If not, I am having trouble deciding whether to get a HD DVR box from Time Warner or purchase a DVD recorder with a hard drive and basic Tivo. Any suggestions? My Tv also has 2 HDMI inputs. Can you recommend a HD PVR or hard drive dvd player that has HDMI outputs?
Thank you.
I don't think anyone currently makes an HD DVR with built-in DVD Player. I think i saw a spot on the "What's New at CES" show on HDNet where JVC will be making an HD DVR with built-in DVD recorder but i didn't pay much attention to the spot.

Since you're in Torrance, Time Warner Cable in your area reportedly now has the SA8300HD DVR which you should be able output 480i to a DVD recorder via the S-Video or Composite outputs. This box has an HDMI output but i'm not sure if it's activated or not in our area (South Bay).

If you have DirecTV, their HD Tivo will output to a DVD recorder (my friend does this with his).

I have the SA8000HD but only the Component output is active so i cannot record to anything so the 8300HD would be the way to go.

What kind of HD TV are you going to get?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page