Recording HD Programming Out From HDTV Via Firewire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 03-29-2005, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have what would seem to be a very basic need, yet none of the DVR hardware I've read about addresses it. Hopefully someone here has a solution?

My Sony XBR960 gets a crystal clear HD picture merely by use of a $40 indoor antenna. I really have no need for satellite or cable because I don't watch any channels other than the networks. But without subscribing to one of those services, how can I record the programming?

Shouldn't I in theory be able to record the decoded HD signal out of my firewire ("iLink") into any DVR that has firewire in? None of the models I've looked at (like the Sony RDR-HX900) indicates that they can do this, stating that the firewire connection is only for camcorders. I don't know why this should be...perhaps copyright concerns figure into it, but doesn't the firewire spec allow for DRM?

Is there any way that I can configure any DVR currently on the market to record the few shows I watch via firewire? (My only other "monitor out" is composite.) I don't even need to record at full HD resolution, if that is a consideration. It just seems silly to spend $100/month to be able to record a few programs that the government gives us for free!

Please let me know of any solutions.
Many thanks,
Josh
writer@covad.net
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page