SD on the 8000HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-29-2005, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am contemplating "upgrading" my 8000SD to the 8000HD simply to get the larger hard drive. Can anyone tell me how the picture quality compares, generally speaking, in standard def. between the two units. Also, will I receive the "free" HD programming such as the locals, in SD of course, if I do upgrade units. Lastly, does the 8000 HD connect only in component or is there a S-Vid connection. Thanks in advance.

MrJ

My TV is powered by coal. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-02-2005, 06:46 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally posted by MrJitters
I am contemplating "upgrading" my 8000SD to the 8000HD simply to get the larger hard drive. Can anyone tell me how the picture quality compares, generally speaking, in standard def. between the two units. Also, will I receive the "free" HD programming such as the locals, in SD of course, if I do upgrade units. Lastly, does the 8000 HD connect only in component or is there a S-Vid connection. Thanks in advance. MrJ
I have one of each connected to the same TV (Passport software with TWC). TV is a 32" HD-Ready Panasonic tube. I get a good clean signal from my cable company and SD looks great. The digital channels (100+) look better than the lower analog channels but that's to be expected. Some channels don't look as good but that's always been the case and is the fault of the channel not the DVR.

Right now i'm comparing both inputs by swapping my TV's PIP so i can compare both directly. I'm using the big three Saturday morning network news programs as a reference (CBS, NBC, ABC). SD looks very good on my regular SA8000, and on the SA8000HD it's slightly softer but still pretty good for SD. I think it will look a little worse on a larger display (Plasma, RPTV) but still shouldn't be that much worse than a regular SA8000 looks. To get the HD programming it's certainly worth the slight hit you take with SD. Like i said the difference is slight but acceptable to me and i'm picky. Some people might prefer the softer image of the HD version......

With the 8000HD in HD mode it will only output through the Component connection. I think DVI is enabled in some areas of the country but my TV doesn't have a DVI input so i don't read the posts about DVI. I know DVI is not enabled in my area according to my neighbors or anywhere else in So Calif according to friends who have the 8000HD.

My regular SA8000 is connected via Composite which on mine looks better than S-Video or RF cable (i've experimented with all three). Some people have had better results through S-Video but my TV seems to like Composite better (my TV has a good line doubler).

You might want to go ahead and try an 8000HD but keep your old 8000 for a month to clear off your old shows and to see if you like the 8000HD enough to give up your old 8000. I ended up keeping both afterall: i use my regular 8000 for SD and pretty much only use the 8000HD primarily for HD and some secondary SD if i don't have enough space on my regular 8000 (i record a lot of auto racing on the weekends when i'm away or busy).

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/504...ing_Room_a.jpg

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page