DMR-E85H with TVGuide - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-01-2005, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On vacation for a few days and come back to find tvguide service reassigned stations and channels and really screwed things up. Guide does not acknowledge some channels even exist, bu I can switch to them.
Lost about 7 shows scheduled to tape. Instead of Blink Justice, I get ginsu knives!!!

I think this is a TVguide issue, but I'm unaware of any way to contact them and confirm. If it is, it did not correct over night the last 5 days. Saturday was the last day the correct line-up was retained. Been screwed up 5 days since.

Anyone experinced this in the past? If so, how was it corrected?

thanks,
nw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That seems to happen occasionally. I have a TV and a DVDR that have TV Guide - Guide Plus. I just get in the habit of checking it. You have to go into setup and turn on/off the channels you want/don't want. You may have to reset your scheduled programs to record.

It is better than VCR Plus but it is no TiVo or i-Guide.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-19-2005, 09:28 AM

I had an RCA PVR with TVGUide and found that the guide was worthless for scheduling recordings. I only used manual recordings. I switched to a Tivo several years ago and I have never missed a recording due to an equipment glitch.

It seems like Tivo and Replay are the only HD recorders out there that "just damd work!". Even the cableco/satco DVRs seem to have their inordinate share of problems. Of course, ygwypf because the $300 sub is a killer.

BTW, I even go into Tivo hacking. It's fun.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-29-2005, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I didn't know this section on AVS existed. I've been talking about my E85H/E95H on the DVD recorder section. Anyway, check out this thread Lost all my recordings on E95H. There is definately bad data that gets downloaded by the guide and it causes the Panasonic recorders to fail in different ways.

Chris
post #5 of 5 Old 05-21-2005, 10:51 PM

i bought this model a couple of months ago when my replaytv died. i wrangled a really good price out of best buy and even bought the extended warranty (which i virtually never do).

i had read many reviews and knew in advance the interface was not going to compare with the replaytv but i was not prepared for how bad it was. i'm a tech who built the first pc (altair) from a kit in the 70's, so i'm usually able to run anything that's put in front of me.

but it did burn dvd's really well and i had hopes i could live with it. while i fought with it trying to get the tvguide working i decided to buy a new drive for my replaytv instead of trashing it. between calling panasonic (i work nights so i couldn't call every day) and waiting the 12-36 hours for it to gather new data i suddenly realized it had been 35 days i'd been fighting with it.

hopeing the fact i'd purchasd an extended warranty might give me some leeway on a return i went to best buy and threw myself on their mercy. i explained i'd been working with panasonic to try to get it working and that i'd take nearly any amount in store credit towards something else.

in spite of me trying to explain it wasn't a hardware problem and i seriously doubted panasonics ability to 'fix' it since it seemed to be some combination of my firmware and cable lineup they said the only thing they could do was to return it to panasonic for hardware repair. i was so mad i left it on their counter and promised to speak up loudly when i heard them trying to sell someone an extended warranty. i've spent thousands of dollars there and felt i deserved some slack even though i was technically outside their return policy. consider this post part of my payback to them.

anyway, for someone used to a tivo or rtv the panasonic is very nearly unusable even if the guide had been working properly. towards the end i was just hoping i could pipe stuff into it for a dvd burn.

/guy

We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page