Some issues with the SA8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-07-2005, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had this box for a little less than a year, and I've got some issues that someone with some experience can hopefully answer.

1/ Most of my recordings are set to save 5 episodes. However, after a day or two after recording, they switch to "Until I Erase."

2/ This box has a setting that allows for automatic overwrite of the oldest recordings in the event the hard drive fills up. I have this feature set to "on". I assumed that it would work logically - whenever the hard drive fills up, the oldest show is erased, no matter what the erase settings are for that show. But apparently any show that is marked "Until I Erase" will not be erased automatically this way. Which means that when the drive fills up, no more recordings are possible, even if this feature is set to "on."

3/ Again this week, the box had problems with converting to daylight savings time. The strange thing is that only some of the scheduled recordings were affected. Some recorded normally, but others were an hour off. Has anyone had any issues like this?

I'm on TWC using (I think) the SARA software. If there is a better, or more active, forum for getting answers to these questions, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-13-2005, 07:17 AM

I've been using a SA8000 for over two years and it does have some quirks. About the best thing I can tell you is to try to attend to it daily. Sometimes changes in the program lineup by the broadcaster will confuse it. I always use the "until I erase" option, never tried the "auto erase". I've never had a problem with Daylight Savings Time, but I've seen postings by others who have. That's probably a local cable company issue.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-13-2005, 12:37 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally posted by twentw

I'm on TWC using (I think) the SARA software. If there is a better, or more active, forum for getting answers to these questions, please let me know.
You'll need to know for sure which software yours uses in order to get correct answers. Sounds like it might be SARA though.

There are various master threads in the HD Recorder forum with certain cable provider/software combinations that would be useful even though your box is not HD as most of the functionality is the same.

Many users across the country had problems with the daylight savings time change including myself. Some of my Series Recordings were listed in my Series Manager but weren't highlighted in the Guide. Others were highlighted in the Guide and recorded fine. Some other Series Recordings were now scheduled for one hour later than i had previously set them up for too. And on some that were not highlighted in the Guide right after the time change, i left them alone and when i checked them a few days later they were now highlighed and recorded fine. It was kinda hit and miss cause not all of em were affected, just some.

I don't know about your item #1 but it sounds like the machine is actively changing the parameters once it starts to get full. Dunno.

Item #2 sounds like normal operation to me if i'm reading it correctly.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 5 Old 04-14-2005, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like the "Until I Erase" parameter overrides the "overwrite" setting. I wish it were the other way around. I don't want to miss recording any shows just because the drive has filled up.

I checked my settings again. All scheduled recordings are set to save 5 episodes. But when I look at my saved shows, all shows over a week old have been converted to "Until I Erase." I just may need to exchange this box for another one.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-14-2005, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twentw
It looks like the "Until I Erase" parameter overrides the "overwrite" setting. I wish it were the other way around. I don't want to miss recording any shows just because the drive has filled up.
Then mark a few shows 'keep X days'.

I prefer the way it acts now because it's the only way to prioritize the order you want things deleted ...

Show A - Recorded April 1 - I really want to watch
Show B - Recorded April 2 - I don't care if it gets deleted to make more space

"Auto-Erase" deletes the oldest content first (unless it's marked 'Keep Until I Delete'). So, I can mark Show A 'Keep Until I Delete' and Show B 'Keep X Days'. That ensures the show I care about gets saved while the one I don't gets deleted to make room. If "Auto-Erase" didn't ignore 'Keep Until I Delete' ... there'd be no way to do that.

Yes, some sort of true 'prioritization' would be better (where I can truly order how things get deleted). But untill then ... I prefer "Auto-Erase" to ignore 'Keep Until I Delete' content.

Re: "Keep X Episodes". Yes, it's flakey. That's a function of the software not the box. A new box will be just as flakey (unless it's got new software). I tend to use it only on daily shows that I don't care about much (News, kids' PBS shows, PTI) ... I'll mark "Keep 1 Episode". That seems to work pretty well. Other 'All Episodes' recordings I'll usually mark "Keep All Episodes" and then manually flip to 'Keep Until I Delete' or 'Keep X Days' after it's recorded.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page