Cox refreshed my node = Lost all my recordings?!?!?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-13-2005, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So...

Motorola (6412 I assume) goes blank this morn, call up the provider. I guess they were doing a refresh in my area they said I shouldn't have been affected but I was accidently. They re-initialized the box. TV's back up... good.

Go to my recorded shows.... NONE?!?!?!?!? (Had a good 20 hours on there)

Go to my recording manager... Blanked out?!?!

Well I call up Cust Support again. They say it just need to be refreshed again, should be back up in 20 min.. I'm like.. uh... right.. why do I feel like I'm getting blantely lied to??? However, the lady said.. "oh yeah, refresh and the recordings should be back up" :rolleyes: I agree... bam TV goes out, back up again, still no access to my recorded stuff.

Call them up again... this time I get a lady that says I'm SOL, I ask to talk to someone with a bit more tech knowledge, no help.. so.. I guess I really am SOL.

So, couple questions

1) Can a provider send a delete signal? Seems pretty messed up if they can.

2) I doubt #1 is true so, does a re-initialize make us lose all our old recordings?

3) I'm assuming the shows are still physically on the HD... any easy way to get them? I don't care if I have to break open the seal to get to the HD, it's bs and yeah, I'm a little peeved.

Thanks ahead of time for any knowlegable responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-14-2005, 07:19 PM

Well I don’t have that box but if I were going to take a guess at your ‘can the provider delete your shows’. Delete your shows, no I doubt they can do that, but it would not surprise me that the ‘re-initializing’ of the box you speak of is actually formatting the hard drive inside (so I guess I’m saying I would not be surprised if your #2 was correct).
post #3 of 7 Old 04-15-2005, 11:34 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
If you don't have all your shows to "Save until manually deleted" then it may be possible for them to be deleted when they push the new software into the box.

A long time ago i got a software upgrade (Passport on an SA8000) and the shows i had set to "Save" were still there, but the ones i did not have set to Save were all gone.

Which software does your Motorola box use?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 7 Old 04-18-2005, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Randy, have no idea what software it uses... but all of my shows were set to save until manually erased... phimf.. ohwell, guess I'll just wait till it comes out to dvd.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-28-2005, 06:45 PM

how are the hard drives on these things formatted, if i get some spare time soon im gonna hafta crack open my 6412 and see what happens if i put the hdd into my pc
post #6 of 7 Old 04-29-2005, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Different machine, same symptom Lost all my recordings on a new E95H. The end result is that I didn't loose anything off the hard drive, but the screen that displays all my recordings was messed up. My recorder basically fixed itself after I set a new recording. This probably doesn't help solve your problem, but I was struck how similar the problem is.

Chris
post #7 of 7 Old 05-03-2005, 11:04 AM

My box did something similar on Sunday. I turned it on, went to my List, and a message popped up that said it was full, so could not record anymore. I knew this wasen't true, because it was at 50% the day before. I tried to watch a recorded program, and it kept returning me back to my list of shows instead of playing it. I unplugged the box myself, waited a minute, plugged it back in, and then it gave me a message that I was not authorized to use the box. Got on the phone with Cox and as I was waiting, the box started working again (took about 10 minutes to work even after the clock displayed). The box was no longer full, and I could watch my recorded program.

I'd suggest you unplug it from the wall and see what happens. Maybe it needs to reboot on its own without any help from the techs at Cox. Good luck, losing you shows is no fun.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page