Directv TIVO and OTA recording? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2005, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to buy a Directv TIVO unit and I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for. Is there a receiver out there that will record OTA along with Directv signals? I'm not looking for HD. I know I can get my locals, but that requires two dishes in my area and both of my TV's have digital tuners built into them and I can receive all of my locals that way and free and in HD. I'd just like to record the regular analog OTA feeds. I'm not going to spend the money to get the HD TIVO right now and will all the questions about the future. I'm guessing that there is no such beast but I thought I would ask the experts first. Thanks for any information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2005, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Not in standard definition. The only machine that records the DirecTv signal and an OTA signal is the HD Tivo - found anywhere between $800 and $1000. If you are not looking for HD, you can't find a machine that'll record both *D* and OTA. What's more, you'll never see one.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
Old 04-14-2005, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for quick response, that was what I expected. While I'm asking what model brand should I be looking for? Or better yet is anything that I should stay away from. I know I can get one through Directv for 50 bucks after rebates, but I would have to sign another year contract. I've been looking on Ebay, but I'm not sure what to bid on. I'm just looking for entry level type stuff. Something to get me used to using it and tide me over until I get the HD one in a few years.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 164
There are currently four different flavors of standard def DirecTivos:

1. Series 1 DTivos consist of the Sony SAT-T60, Philips DSR6000, and Hughes GXCEBOT. These units are identical internally. The Hughes and Philips use the same remotes whereas the Sony has a unique remote and slightly different software interface but is functionally identical to the other two models. Sony stopped marketing Tivos after the series 1 models ceased production.

2. Philips DSR7000, Hughes HDVR2, RCA DVR39, and Samsung (?) series 2 models. These are all the same and are identified by the lack of an RID number on the back sticker. All series 2 models have USB ports on the back panel.

3. Philips DSR-704 and DSR-708, Hughes HDVR40, RCA DVR40, Samsung 4040, 4080, and 4120. These models are identified by the fact that they have an RID number on the back panel sticker.

4. DTV model R10. If you buy a new DTivo from DTV then this is probably what they'll send you.

All of the DVRs listed under Nos. 1 thru 3 above have all been hacked to allow functionality above and beyond what they can do right out of the box. The R10 has not yet been hacked via software but can be modified via a PROM mod that requires extensive technical expertise (i.e., don't try this at home).

The HR10-250 HD model will probably be replaced with a DTV (non-Tivo) model when they start switching over to mpeg4 transmissions later this year. DTV and Tivo have severed ties so any new models marketed by DTV will all be non-Tivo designs.

Sorry about the lack of info on the Samsung models as I can't remember the exact model numbers. They still fall into the categories indicated and can be identified as I described so ask the seller questions if you're looking to buy on ebay. Make sure any used DTivo you buy is guaranteed to work and that the buyer will refund your money or replace it with a working unit if it arrives DOA. I'd recommend using PayPal Buyer Credit for any such purchases as they will reimburse you if the seller sticks you with a lemon.