Moxi surprise - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-01-2005, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This more of a rant than a question.
Maybe you guys knew this but it was a frickin shock to me: the Moxi capacity is not the advertised 60 hrs. In fact, it is 26 hours of analog material, 42 hours of digital and 12 of HD. The HD capacity is stated in the user manual; otherwise all it says is "up to 60 hours"
I discovered this upon returning from 9 days out of town to discover that 12 hours of recorded programs had been deleted/replaced to make room for new recordings. I couldn't figure out what the hell had happened, because I counted up what was on the hard drive and it totaled only 22 hours. I figured I must have missed a setting someplace.
So I called Charter and was told the capacity is 26 hours for analog. She could not, of course, explain this blatantly misleading advertising (in fact said she didn't know where I got the idea it was 60 and seemed surprised when I told her to read the Charter Moxi user manual) or tell me what kind of mix of digital and analog would fit. (I lost 4 episodes of Deadwood that I hadn't got to, an HBO documentary, and about 7 hours of analog sitcoms and dramas etc)
Can't tell you how angry I am. It means whenever I go out of town on an extended trip I'll have to use the VCRs again just in case. This changes everything about the Moxi box.
Thinking about this in the cold light of morning, I guess it's because Moxi allows only one recording quality setting and it's the highest. But they don't tell you this.
Thanks for listening...
barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-17-2005, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I suppose you know about the big MOXI thread on this forum? That is covered there...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=moxi

Regards,
Todd
post #3 of 3 Old 05-17-2005, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by todbnla
I suppose you know about the big MOXI thread on this forum? That is covered there...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=moxi
Hey Todd
Yeah, thanks, I discovered the Moxi thread a few days later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page