help with 5.1 sound on SA 8300HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 05-23-2005, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up the SA 8300 Hd box from Time Warner. Unfortunatly I cannot get 5.1 surround sound either through coax or optical into my receiver. I had no problem doing this with my old box.

I checked under the settings menu and there was no option to turn on Dolby Digital. Am I missing something? The box is hooked up to TV via HDMI and as i said earlier I have both coax and optical into my stereo.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-24-2005, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I'm the only one who has had this problem. I spent an hour on the phone with Time Warner Tech Support last night and I learned the following:

1. Time Warner has their own proprietary software that controls the cable box, therefore, the operating manual I downloaded from SA's website is essentially worthless. For instance the manual tells me to hit settings twice and scroll down to audio output and put it at dolby digital. Unfortunately for some bizarre reason the TW version does not have this option.

2. Time warner rep. also told me that the HDMI connection took over my cable box and unless your tv can handle dolby digital 5.1, the HDMI would send out a standard dolby signal and interfere with the coax and optical outs of the cable box, forcing them to also send out only a standard dolby signal. I have no idea if this is true, however nothing suprises me now after living with one SA box or another for the last three years in what seemed to be the worlds longest beta test.

3. Time Warner suggested I ditch the HDMI and input via components. Which is great since I spent $90 for a HDMI cable.

4. Time Warner rep. did not know if software fix was in store.

I have a new 61" JVC D-ILA, will the video quality suffer if i ditch the HDMI for Component?

Does anyone know if the JVC can receive 5.1 dolby and how I set this up.

Anyone know how of any other way to manually set my cable box to dolby digital out?

Once again any feed back would be appreciated
post #3 of 23 Old 05-24-2005, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just got my 8300HD today after my 8000HD crapped out. I would try to stick with HDMI over component. The quality should be better. I guess you could try it and see if you notice a difference. Sometime HDNET runs HD test patterns at night. They have one that's like an eye chart, i.e. "If you can read this, your TV can resolve XXX lines." Each one is printed in smaller letters and indicates how fine the resolution on your TV must be in order to be able to read the letters. The last line says "If you can read this, your TV is better than mine!". A bit of an easter egg I guess... made me laugh.

It would help if you put your City and State in your profile, that way people in your area could identify with you and help you out. It's kind of silly to ask questions that you know are locale specific without telling us your location.

post #4 of 23 Old 05-26-2005, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantethedog
I guess I'm the only one who has had this problem. I spent an hour on the phone with Time Warner Tech Support last night and I learned the following:

1. Time Warner has their own proprietary software that controls the cable box, therefore, the operating manual I downloaded from SA's website is essentially worthless. For instance the manual tells me to hit settings twice and scroll down to audio output and put it at dolby digital. Unfortunately for some bizarre reason the TW version does not have this option.

2. Time warner rep. also told me that the HDMI connection took over my cable box and unless your tv can handle dolby digital 5.1, the HDMI would send out a standard dolby signal and interfere with the coax and optical outs of the cable box, forcing them to also send out only a standard dolby signal. I have no idea if this is true, however nothing suprises me now after living with one SA box or another for the last three years in what seemed to be the worlds longest beta test.

3. Time Warner suggested I ditch the HDMI and input via components. Which is great since I spent $90 for a HDMI cable.

4. Time Warner rep. did not know if software fix was in store.

I have a new 61" JVC D-ILA, will the video quality suffer if i ditch the HDMI for Component?

Does anyone know if the JVC can receive 5.1 dolby and how I set this up.

Anyone know how of any other way to manually set my cable box to dolby digital out?

Once again any feed back would be appreciated

You are not alone. This topic is an ongoing discussion on the Samsung DLP threads. More than one person has complained that they could only get a stereo audio signal from the HDMI, coming from their TW 8300 DVR. I believe all were able to instruct the DVR to output 5.1 audio through the DVR's digital audio output (no audio signal going to HDMI). Bypassing the TV , with the audio signal, has, however, resulted in a lip synk problem for some owners. The assumption is that the TVs take time to process the video signal, which means the video can lag the audio.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...ync_delay.html

http://news.designtechnica.com/talkback45.html

For the past couple weeks I've been looking for any TV manufactures that have overcome this. I've found none.
I'm becoming more and more convinced that HDMI was released too soon.
post #5 of 23 Old 05-29-2005, 11:44 AM

You are not alone - I have the exact same problem. I have the following:

SA HD8300 box connected via HDMI to my Panasonic THPHD507UY plasma tv (50" HD plasma). I have optical digitial cable from the HD8300 to my Panasonic HTSC05 surround sound receiver.

When I play something like CBS' CSI, I see Dolby Pro Logic II light up on the receiver (with inputs from Left / Right only). When I unplug the HDMI cable, it immediately lights up with DOLBY Digitial, L/R/C/LS/RS channels.

This is quite unfortunate ... I will see if I can tell a difference outputing component to the TV. I guess all is not lost as I also bought the HDMI card for the TV so that I can use my upconverting DVD player (Panasonic S77S). But I would like to know if there is a workaround.

Will keep you posted.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-30-2005, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Thats a known problem with the SA8300HD and Passport OS if you use HDMI output. Apparently the TV will tell the SA8300HD over the HDMI port that it is only capable of stereo audio (not 5.1) and so all audio outputs are limited to stereo. You have to either use component video output instead of HDMI to get DD5.1 audio output or use a back-to-back HDMI->DVI, DVI->HDMI adaptor, which will pass the digital video without audio to the TV. I've heard that the SARA OS has a setup option to override the TV's audio format, but Passport OS currently does not have this setup option.
post #7 of 23 Old 06-01-2005, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I also am convinced that HDMI connections were released too soon. I switched to component over the weekend. Quality is a little worse, but I can finally get 5.1 surround. I also noticed changing channels from HD to SD or digital was alot smoother over component. When I changed channels with HDMI connected from HD to SD, I got all these crazy lines and annoying sounds for a couple of seconds. (Time warner manuals said this was normal). Sometimes no picture at all would come up and I would have to reboot my cable box.

Hopefully, Time Warner will fix some of these problems with the next software update. But, I won't hold my breath
post #8 of 23 Old 06-01-2005, 10:56 AM

I signed up to these forums just so I could relate to you my ongoing nonsense with Time Warner Cable. I spent the past 3 weeks trying to get in touch with a Time Warner rep. I finally got in touch with a rep named Kermit. Here's what he had to say:

-Certain areas are using the SARA software, while others are using the Passport software. Those using the Passport software will have to get an adapter for their HDMI cables.

-Certain ports, like the USB are rendered useless due to the fact that the Passport software does not work with the SA box.

-One cannot install a second hard drive due to the issue involving the Passport software and the SA box.

-Time Warner does not have any plans to unify the software being used. They are offering services to people all over the country, but evidently every reigion gets different services made available to them. And the reigion dictates the software that is installed in the boxes.

-The reason given for their plans not to unify was never made entirely clear. I was basically told that it had to do with the worker's familiarty with the equipment and software being used. Only after pressing did I find out the other reason....

-If your box uses Passport, then it is quite likely that you are in a reigion that Time Warner is experimenting with. You're more likely to be the test market for their different services (On Demand, on screen guide, on screen billing). It has nothing to do with the worker's familiarity with the software or hardware. It's all about "test markets"

-When asked why release software that wasn't fully compatible with the box, I was told that due to customer response; Time Warner felt that it needed to get a HD box out into the market, regardless if it had a "few bugs".

-Time Warner does not have any plans to update the Passport software to make it more compatible with the SA boxes. Those with the Passport software are doomed to lead an incomplete Time Warner HD DVR experience.

The bottom line is this: We as customers are paying full price for equipment that doesn't work fully. Time Warner doesn't seemed to concerned with this fact, just as long as we're quiet and continue to pay our ever rising monthly cable bills.

Time Warner is also not concerned with breaking FCC regulations,(FCC regulations
prohibit the blocking of any ports supported by the manufacture
47CFR76.640: (Sec. 76.640 Support for unidirectional digital cable
products on digital cable systems.)) stating that since the software was never designed with hard drive expansion in mind, that they can not be held with blocking of ports.

That's what I know right now. I deal with Time Warner in Cincinnati.
post #9 of 23 Old 06-02-2005, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

I also am dealing with Time Warner Cincinnati. What kind of adapter are you referring to? TW is horrible, it took them at least two years to get most of the bugs out of the original PVR . I hope Cincinnati Bell releases their TV service soon.
post #10 of 23 Old 06-04-2005, 07:37 AM

I have been trying to resolve this issue for the past two weeks now. I am located in Manhattan, NYC and I have been told that the IT department at TWC is responsible for customizing (changing) the menu options on the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box so that the customer cannot change the digital output settings. Currently the dolby digital only outputs throught the coaxial and optical outputs when the HDMI is NOT plugged in. I cannot confirm if the Dolby Digital is outputting through the HDMI because my Panasonic HD plasma tv doesn't have 5.1 speakers built in to it... ridiculous!

So, unless TWCs IT department decides to give us the option (Scientific Atlanta's own manual on this box allows for changing this) to select digital audio output settings, then we will ALL have to wait for stereo receivers to get the HDMI built in as a switchable video signal- Denon sells one for $6000. Assuming there is a Dolby Digital signal outputting over the HDMI.
post #11 of 23 Old 06-05-2005, 11:09 AM

the reason for the passport software is that at one point time warner was using exclusively pioneer boxes.. but due to the SI's being cheaper and more stable time warner switched to the SI box.. however since they were still in contract with Pioneer they had to keep using the passport software. now pioneer is no longer makign boxes so hopefully they will switch to the SARA software? who knows... i only work here.
post #12 of 23 Old 11-13-2005, 08:28 AM

I have read through a number of posts regarding getting DD using the SA Explorer 8300, and I believe that there are some who have gotten the DD to work fine with component cables using the optical digital out, but I can't get it to work.

Cincinnati TWC states that you should use the coaxial out, but my receiver doesn't have a coax in for that input. I know the optical cable is good because it works fine on my DVD. I can get the output to my receiver just fine using the standard audio out, but no DD. As soon as I plug in the optical cable, I lose all sound through the receiver.

It's a bummer that TWC has apparently disabled many of the features of the SA8300 using the Passport software, which makes turning on DD audio easy if you have the option, but if someone out there is currently getting the DD using component and optical, please let me know. Thanks.
post #13 of 23 Old 11-23-2005, 09:44 AM

A class action lawsuit was brought against Verizon Wireless for deactivating some of the Bluetooth features of the Motorola V710 phone. Why can't the same action be taken against Time Warner for this?
post #14 of 23 Old 11-26-2005, 06:03 AM

Hey there. Registered here just because of this thread.

I swapped out component cable/coax digital audio for HDMI and am running into the same problem. With the component setup with digital coax running to my stereo, I was able to get digital audio just fine. When I switched from component to HDMI, the box automatically switched ALL audio outputs to 2-channel only. The most annoying thing about this is that the manual shows an easy workaround, but apparantly TW disabled this? What BS.
post #15 of 23 Old 12-02-2005, 12:27 PM

My problem is a little bit different since I come through the component connection between my TV and the SA 8300HD. I have TWC in Cincinnati and got the SA 8300HD installed two weeks ago and it is connected to my SD TV using component cables and an optical for the audio from the SA 8300HD to my Sony STR-K502P receiver. I know the receiver supports DD because I see the message "Dolby Digital 5/0" on the receiver when I activate my DVD. However, the best I can get when I activate the receiver for input from the SA 8300HD is "Dolby Digital 2/0". I have gone into the setups for the SA 8300HD and have set the unit to DD but still no good. I know the optical cable is OK because I have connected it to the DVD through the receiver and it works fine. Also, as someone else mentioned in another post I also printed out the SA 8300HD guides and many of the functions described in them do not work with the TWC Cincy brand of the SA 8300HD. I initially had a problem getting the component connection between my Sony rear projector and the SA 8300HD set up since the setup described in the SA manual of pressing "guide" and "info" at the same time doesn't work. When I called TWC to find out how I was going to get the component feed to work I may as well have been asking my granddaughter, this was when I was talking to their technical support! I was able to get into setup through the remote and fix the component issue but have not been able to do any good with the DD. I have only an optical connection on my reciever for digital so coax is not an option for me. Anybody have any tips on how to get this DD to work correctly? Also, given what I am reading in some of the posts on this site I am wondering if I am kidding myself by staying with TWC or would I be better to go one the TWC competitor route?

John :)
post #16 of 23 Old 12-22-2005, 07:49 PM

I am having similar troubles as most of you seem to be having, but my circumstances are slightly different...

First off, I live in Morgantown, WV and my SA 8300HD is through Adelphia, however I cannot get it to work in Dolby Digital either.

From what I can tell, when you guys are using component to input your video, it lets your coax and optic audio outs work correctly with DD, where if you are using HDMI it makes those ports use 2 channel L/R.

I do not have an HDTV, nor is my TV new enough to use component video plugs (I know old, but hey, it happens :/), therefore I'm reduced to S-Video or composite. Currently I have my box hooked up with the composite cable running through a Pelican Selector Pro, and a coax cable running directly to my Pioneer receiver. However, when I watch anything my receiver says Pro Logic II instead of switching to the Dolby light as it should when receiving a true DD signal, showing me that it is not being sent in DD correctly, which I see now isn't only my problem.

Is there any way to fix this aside from using Component cables only? Maybe try an S-Video cable instead of composite? (I know that's a given anyway, I just haven't had time to get an S-Video cable yet, I just got this box top yesterday). Has anyone has luck with DD using the S-Video or composite ports? I just registered for these forums as well, but from what I have heard and can tell, this is the best possible place to ask for help. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance.
post #17 of 23 Old 12-23-2005, 06:30 PM

I'm experiencing the same stuff but my Toshiba HDTV only has a DVI output so I'm trying to use an HDMI adatper to the SA 8300. (Time Warner -Cinti OH) I can't even get a picture. I was going to switch to Direct TV satelite but do not know what box they use. Does anyone know what they use and if it will be any different?

Reciever  OnkyoTX-R603X
DVD Player Onyko DVCP702
DVD Player Toshiba A3
polkaudio
Center - CS245I
Mains -- RT600I's
Sides -- RT35's
Rears -- RT25I's
Sub ---- PSW-350
TV: 34" Toshiba HDTV
post #18 of 23 Old 12-24-2005, 06:56 PM

Evidently we have a similar problem in Metro Detroit Area. No sound from any
On Demand programs. I was told by the technician that this is the first she has heard of this problem. I asked if this was due to a software update and was told there has not been one.
I guess they left that off her flowsheet. The best she could do for me was ping the boxes (no problem there) and then asked me to unplug the box for 45 seconds.
You folks have been so much more helpful here in this forum. Thank you.
I will try switching to component. This whole HDCP type stuff is just down right bad for the typical consumer. With their change, I am unable to connet all my sources up to this expensive Panasonic 50" Panasonic 8th generation plasma panel nor my surround system. If feel that in one swell foop the cable companies are ruining our enjoyment of our purchases. And I pay over $150 per month to have these unnecessary hassles. I feel for you all.

wishing you an inexpensive way out of your dilemma,
and happy holidays,

Steven
post #19 of 23 Old 12-24-2005, 07:24 PM

Quick update. I unplugged the DVI-D, plugged in the component signals, pressed the input source button, and voila 5.1 Dolby from the coax out.

Again, thanks very much for for making your experiences public in this forum. You have certainly saved me from having to have the technician come out sometime late next week, most likely to have me wait for a new box and not have that one solve the problem either.

I will call Comcast to inform them of the solution. Then I just have to hope that they make their staff aware how to help others that are sure to have this problem as well.

At least this explains why cable is so expensive around here, all that technical support and home visits. All because of the Digital Millennium Act.

wishing you all a health, happy, and prosperous New Year,

Steven
post #20 of 23 Old 12-31-2005, 08:08 PM

I am also having the problem, with Comcast Cable in Chesterfield VA, with a HDMI cable connected between the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD and a Sony ’05 HDTV. Using the HDMI cable disables DD5.1 out of the 8300HD’s digital outputs – both coax and optical.

Using component connections enables DD 5.1 out of the digital outputs (coax & opt).

This is documented in the SA 8300HD setup guide (from SA site), but states this can be overridden by selecting the digital output settings in the General Settings (select settings button twice). Like others here, this option is not available in my settings.

Let me know if anyone finds a solution, until then we are stuck with using component wiring. I guess I can get my $99 back, for the HDMI cable CC sold me. ;)
post #21 of 23 Old 01-01-2006, 12:25 PM

you shoudl never have spent 99 dollars on a hdmi cable anyway... you can get them on ebay or from ramelectronics for a tenth of that price.

if you have the passport software, go into settings, then more settings, and look for an audio option for the box that lets you chose between 5.1, stereo or HDMI. if you do not see this option you may have to get the version of the 8300 that has firewire outputs, which were just released. the audio option was added to fix the hdmi and surround sound issue. however im not sure if they upgrade was downloaded to the older 8300 boxes
post #22 of 23 Old 01-04-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 303
if you have TWC check the Passport 8300 thread

the Passport option fix to output 5.1 with HDMI, is entirely dependent on what version of the software you are using. Where you are located dictates what version of the software you get. Check if anyone else from your region has been updated to give you an idea of when you might receive the update.

Alternatively swap out your box. You might receive a newer model that already has the fix installed.

The 5.1 fix is active at my location.

post #23 of 23 Old 09-27-2006, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvproducer_guy
I have been trying to resolve this issue for the past two weeks now. I am located in Manhattan, NYC and I have been told that the IT department at TWC is responsible for customizing (changing) the menu options on the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box so that the customer cannot change the digital output settings. Currently the dolby digital only outputs throught the coaxial and optical outputs when the HDMI is NOT plugged in.
Okay, I'm running Digital Out and component in to my Denon 2807 receiver. My question is how should I set my Audio Range on the TW SA 8300? Wide, Normal, Narrow? Thanks!
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page