Upgrading to DirecTV (DTV) HD DVR - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-26-2005, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 3 DTV DVRs and am looking to upgrade to Hi-def - currently have 1 HD tv (36" tube) and looking to buy a 60" DLP once the 1080is are released to replace a 53" 4*3 in my home theatre setup within the next few months. Both TVs have the DVRs connected. Best buy has a sale on the DTV HD DVRs this weekend (10%) + 2 year financing so it makes it easier to buy at least one, maybe 2 this weekend. For the room that doesn't have the HD TV, i could at least take advantage of the high drive capacity vs. the 35 hours i currently have.
My questions revolves around buying/upgrading from someone other than DTV

1. I assume i could just swap out the older std DVR for the new HD DVR -correct? So I woudn't need any professional installation? I have 2 lines running to both DVRs - so the 2 tuners are available

2. On the DTV website, they offer the DVR, Off air antenna & installation for a little bit more than just the DVR - So I assume I need the antenna to pull in HD signals - right now i have a set-top antenna, but it doesn't integrate with the DVR i currently have, but if i'm going to go with multiple HD DVRs, it seems to make more sense to integrate an off-air antenna into the satellite configuration - correct? If so, does it make more sense to get the professional installation from DTV or is it a easy installation? (I assume the professional install would actually hook/integrate the off-air antenna with all receivers - is this correct?)

Also: I have the Triple LNB dish going to the Terk 5*8 multiswitch. 5 of the ports go to the three receivers - two are using the dual tuner, the other, 1 tuner - i figured i'd leave the other 3 open for other rooms, of which one will probably have 2 assigned to it once i swap out the regular dvr for the HD dvr.
I currently have a TERK antenna for the 36 HD tv, but since it's not "wired" in to the DVR i miss out on the TIVO functionality. I figured having an antenna integrated into dish would be more effective, but didnt think i could do it myself.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's not that I want to "go cheap", but i dont' want to pay $100 if it's a pretty simple situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-15-2005, 10:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Here is something to consider when upgrading to a Dtv HD system. If you are in one of the 12 designated major markets for mpeg4 HD system roll out this year, You may want to hold on to your hard earned $ until this new system is announced. Although the price of the DTV HD DVR seems to have dropped from the $999 to mid 600's at big boxes around here I wonder if it has to do with the change to be announced.

According to the rumor and sales propaganda DtV will be offering your local channels and the HD offerings via the mpeg4 scheme from the recent and planned satelite launches.

I was able to get them to beam me the Fox and NBC hd feeds by going through the waiver process. ABC and CBS said no.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-27-2005, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td0804
I have 3 DTV DVRs and am looking to upgrade to Hi-def - currently have 1 HD tv (36" tube) and looking to buy a 60" DLP once the 1080is are released to replace a 53" 4*3 in my home theatre setup within the next few months. Both TVs have the DVRs connected. Best buy has a sale on the DTV HD DVRs this weekend (10%) + 2 year financing so it makes it easier to buy at least one, maybe 2 this weekend. For the room that doesn't have the HD TV, i could at least take advantage of the high drive capacity vs. the 35 hours i currently have.
My questions revolves around buying/upgrading from someone other than DTV

1. I assume i could just swap out the older std DVR for the new HD DVR -correct? So I woudn't need any professional installation? I have 2 lines running to both DVRs - so the 2 tuners are available

2. On the DTV website, they offer the DVR, Off air antenna & installation for a little bit more than just the DVR - So I assume I need the antenna to pull in HD signals - right now i have a set-top antenna, but it doesn't integrate with the DVR i currently have, but if i'm going to go with multiple HD DVRs, it seems to make more sense to integrate an off-air antenna into the satellite configuration - correct? If so, does it make more sense to get the professional installation from DTV or is it a easy installation? (I assume the professional install would actually hook/integrate the off-air antenna with all receivers - is this correct?)

Also: I have the Triple LNB dish going to the Terk 5*8 multiswitch. 5 of the ports go to the three receivers - two are using the dual tuner, the other, 1 tuner - i figured i'd leave the other 3 open for other rooms, of which one will probably have 2 assigned to it once i swap out the regular dvr for the HD dvr.
I currently have a TERK antenna for the 36 HD tv, but since it's not "wired" in to the DVR i miss out on the TIVO functionality. I figured having an antenna integrated into dish would be more effective, but didnt think i could do it myself.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's not that I want to "go cheap", but i dont' want to pay $100 if it's a pretty simple situation.
ask employee at best buy for blue coupon book has 50% off on tivo hardware and hr10-250 is directv hd dvr. got one yesterday for $374 with tax
post #4 of 14 Old 07-18-2005, 08:51 AM

WOW

I paid over $1000
post #5 of 14 Old 08-01-2005, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

It's been a few months - I see CC is having a sale on the HD Directivo - 100, and another -100 for new cust - so for existing 599 instead of 699. is that best buy deal still happening? I'd like to get another receiver for another room.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-11-2005, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have DTV also and am llooking to add the HR10-250 to replace my HD Samsung receiver. I already have the off air antenna so I don't have to worry about that. Here are my questions:

I have the triple LNB feed with 3 coax going to the basement. 1 to my HD TV (where I'm adding the HR10-250) and 2 going to alternate bedrooms (regulard DTV receivers). Can I just split the coax going to my HD receiver or do I need other electronics for the second feed?

I am also feeding 2 analog TVs from my Samsung TV out jack- goes to Garage TV and basement TV. How do I accomplish this with the HR10-250 as I don't see that it has a TV out coax that works simultaneously with the component/DVI interface?
post #7 of 14 Old 08-11-2005, 12:34 PM

ttt
post #8 of 14 Old 08-11-2005, 05:53 PM

Well I went to Best Buy and the 50% deal is over! Rats.

So I've been a D* customer for over 5 years. I callled and threatened to go to Comcast and they offered me an HR10-250 for 649.99 + tax and 12.95 delivery - 250 dollar billing credit and 100 dollar rebate check (to be mailed to my house) + free install with necessary cable and multi-switch (if required). I thought this was a great deal so went for it! So total was 707 -250 (credit) -100 (rebate check) for a total out the door of 357 bucks!

Hopefully I'll be hooked up this Saturday!! This is a good deal isn't it?
post #9 of 14 Old 08-14-2005, 07:16 PM

Sorry...

But as of today that is a bad deal....They lowered the price on the HD10-250

Called today and got it for 299.00 - 100.00 rebate
6 month HBO Free
6 Month Showtime Free
6 Month High Def Package Free
5.00 per month for 12 month Credit
Shipping and handling waived Free Install

Customer for 8 Years

Goto the Tivo forum and read the posts there.

Some people have gotten even better deals than this.......
post #10 of 14 Old 08-15-2005, 08:17 AM

Lazyman...

Did you have HD prior to getting this Deal? I'm thinking you got a better deal since you might not have had it prior. I already had the HD receiver and programming? I wonder if I can still get the credits that you got?
post #11 of 14 Old 08-15-2005, 08:44 AM

and why did they charge me tax? I questioned that since they never charged before. Is that wrong that they included sales tax?
post #12 of 14 Old 08-15-2005, 12:18 PM

No High Def before.

Have two Directv Tivo's

This deal got even better because I called back today and complained that I was getting a HD DVR that would be out of date in just a couple of months and also mentioned that if I went to Dish I would have no equipment cost whatsoever.

She gave me an instant credit for another 100.00

Net cost 39.00 plus all the freebees, HBO, Show, High Def feeds.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-15-2005, 12:23 PM

That 39.00 net I said was before taxes. I assume I will be paying tax on the 299.00 price.

That's a bummer....Another 18.00

Maybe I should call back again..................................
post #14 of 14 Old 08-15-2005, 12:45 PM

Wow.

Great deal. I did callback and complain since the people on the other forum (TIVO) got that deal the same day. They didn't canvas all the reps which makes sense why some knew, some didn't. Well they gave me some programming credits, not as good as what you got. But at least it's something. They also gave me some additional account credits to offset the difference in price between 707 and 299.

I feel much better now! Thanks for info bud!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page