DCT6412 blank screen on power up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-26-2005, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a DCT-6412 with Comcast Digital Cable in Pittsburgh, PA. For about the last 2 weeks every time I power on the cable box I get a blank black screen. If I hit the guide button on the remote the channel guide opens up and I can navigate with no problems. When I select a channel to watch I still get the black blank screen. No matter which channel I select I get nothing but a blank black screen.

However, if I go to the My DVR area and select a pre-recorded program to view the blank black screen disappears and my pre-recorded program begins playing with no problems. If I then exit out of the pre-recorded program and go back to the channel guide and select a program I am able to view that program with no problems.

Bottom line is I can't get live TV to play without first going into a pre-recorded program and starting and stopping it.

Anybody else have this problem and is there a solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Known issue with no permanent fix.

The only fix is to leave the box on all the time.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-01-2005, 03:27 PM

Mine just started doing the same thing. I sent a email to Comcast today. I'll post what they have to say when I get a reply. I'm guessing they downloaded new firmware that's screwed this up.

Pete
post #4 of 10 Old 06-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstahl
Mine just started doing the same thing. I sent a email to Comcast today. I'll post what they have to say when I get a reply. I'm guessing they downloaded new firmware that's screwed this up.

Pete
What FW are you running?
post #5 of 10 Old 06-02-2005, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna
What FW are you running?
FW: 09.15
post #6 of 10 Old 06-02-2005, 12:15 PM

Got a reply from Comcast, said to call for help. Went through several menu's and got to the service one that said something like "If you have a blank screen or a error code hit #2" After hitting #2, it said it will send a signal to your box by hitting#2 again and after 30 min. it doesn't fix the problem then unplug it for 30 sec. After 20 min. I turned the box off/on and the blank screen was there. So next I unplugged it, waited 30 sec. and Voila! it works again. What is also weird with this box is when I got it, it would be on Channel 8 (our local Comcast channel) when we turned it on, not the last one we were watching. Then for a while it was staying with the channel that was on last. Now it's back to Channel 8 again. Hope this info helps but remember unplugging your box, you'll loose you TV Guide line-up.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-03-2005, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstahl
Got a reply from Comcast, said to call for help. Went through several menu's and got to the service one that said something like "If you have a blank screen or a error code hit #2" After hitting #2, it said it will send a signal to your box by hitting#2 again and after 30 min. it doesn't fix the problem then unplug it for 30 sec. After 20 min. I turned the box off/on and the blank screen was there. So next I unplugged it, waited 30 sec. and Voila! it works again. What is also weird with this box is when I got it, it would be on Channel 8 (our local Comcast channel) when we turned it on, not the last one we were watching. Then for a while it was staying with the channel that was on last. Now it's back to Channel 8 again. Hope this info helps but remember unplugging your box, you'll loose you TV Guide line-up.
Is this something you went through with Comcast over the phone, or did you do this yourself? How do you get to the screen that says to hit #2 if you have a blank screen?
post #8 of 10 Old 06-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyberger
Is this something you went through with Comcast over the phone, or did you do this yourself? How do you get to the screen that says to hit #2 if you have a blank screen?
I think he means that was the direction he got from a recorded message over the phone from Comcast.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-04-2005, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyberger
Sorry forgot to add I called Comcast and got this through the automated messages. I think I had to go through 5 menus to get there. I dialed our local Comcast number but 1-800-Comcst I think should do the same as that was the other number I got from their return email.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-10-2005, 07:38 PM

I have had numerous problems with my DVR but now that I have battled through them, I love the thing.

Blank Screen:

If you turn it on and the screen is blank(black) but the guide still works here is what comcast told me... (after the 6th or 7th call)... press your dvr button, play anything you have recorded for a second or two, then stop it. Sure enough, your picture will return. This is a known problem that they have said "should" be fixed on either the newer boxes or with to-be-released future firmware.

Muted audio:

Let's say your DVR is off and you are not home... if a scheduled recording starts, it will turn on the DVR and start the recording... but to keep from blasting the audio when no one is home (if you left the tv on) it mutes the cable box, not the tv. I called comcast several times regarding this one, and someone was finally able to help me. If you reprogram the mute button on your remote, to control the mute on the cable box instead of the TV... it will both, remove the mute that may appear at the top center of the screen and let you mute normally using the mute feature on the cable box instead of the TV. (hey, as long as it mutes, it mutes,... what does it matter if it's the tv or cable box eh?) :)

see this page for instructions on how to reprogram your remote as well as the other codes to do other fancy things...
(please excuse this... I can't use urls... it's my first post, take out the minus signs and make it one line...)

h-t-t-p-:-/-/-w-w-w-.
dslreports-.-com-
/-faq-/-dvr-/-Unit-+-Specifications

30 second skip feature:

Watching a recorded program? Want to skip the commercials without pressing fast forward and the rewind when you go to far? Reprogram one of your unused remote buttons to skip 30 seconds at a time. example: your watching a recorded show, the commercials start, press the button your reprogrammed button 6 times in a row to jump 3 minutes ahead. (different networks have different commercial break durations, but you get the picture)

see the same site I listed above,...

I don't have kids and don't use the parental lock features on my unit... so I chose to use the "orange triangle, A lock button" to reprogram since I didn't use it for anything else.

Yellow and/or Green pixalated screen:

This one sucks... if you are watching TV at the time, even live show or recorded show will be pixalated with yellow and green bands. There are only two ways to get rid of this.

WARNING: This will make your guide data disappear and say "to be determined" so remember/write down what is on when and on what station.

WARNING 2: If you are in the process of recording something and you follow these procedures, the recording will be terminated and you will not have a full recording.

If it does happen to you, and you are recording something... you can wait it out, and then follow the procedures and your recording should be unaffected after the procedures are followed.

1) if you are not recording anything at the time, unplug the unit for a 5-10 seconds.

2) Call Comcast and have them send a reset signal to your box.

Well, if anyone can can point me to a way to use USB to download recorded content to my pc,... let me know!! I have seen some stuff out there about using the firewire port, I just have to buy a firewire cable.

Hope this helped someone! I struggled to get this crap fixed... but now that I have, I love this thing. Next? Well I am going to rip it apart and try to add another HD or replaced the HD... and see what other nifty things I can do.

Happy Hacking,... i0scan :D (pittsburgh, pa)
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page