HD based DVR for use in India - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-18-2005, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What I want is Tivo-like functionality for my parents in India. But since such a service isn't available in India -- I'm looking for a DVD recorder (with a hard drive) that can record (PAL) Cable TV in India (BTW, I'm not even sure if the Cable tv signalis are differentiated as NTSC & PAL).

Today I went to Good Guys & bought the Pioneer DVR520-HS for ~$325. Seemed like a good price, but the salesperson didn't know if it could record cable tv in other countries. I looked through the owners manual -- couldn't find any info either.

Does anyone know if I can use this Pioneer DVD-Recorder for recording cable tv in other countries? I don't care so much about the DVD-Player or DVD-Recorder functionality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-24-2005, 12:56 PM
SMG

I'm on the same exact mission as Smarinar. I'm surprised to see no response to Smarinar's question.

My mother got so used to Dish PVR while living here, that she wants the same capability in India.

Someone's got to know..

Thanks,
Serv
post #3 of 8 Old 11-21-2005, 12:38 PM

Add one more curious person to this. I have been researching dvr solutions for my parents and came across an announcement that Samsung has introduced them in India. I think it is pricey but I cannot find a link to the product. Article also talked about more product introductions in next few months and hence, cheaper ones.
A pc-based solution might be too cumbersome for them, so I want a hw based one.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-09-2005, 04:07 PM
SMG

I managed to find a Panasonic DMR-E85 MULTI ZONE DVD RECORDER from EBay. B&H Photo was selling a refurb.unit for $299.99. I should be recieving it in a few days, I will report back afterwards.

I found that its extremely hard to find reliable info. on the PAL units. Even the model numbers are confusing. I had a cousin check in Banglore about the availability and the authorized dealers over there hadn't even heard of such a product.

Good Luck.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-09-2005, 05:51 PM

The problem with DVD recorders is that it can't make a true pvr (unless its a DVD-RAM type) meaning you cannot record one program while viewing another. Also they depend on disk media which means dust & other issues. Still I would be interested in seeing how this works for local cable in India.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-12-2005, 11:20 AM

Panasonic DMR-E85
post #7 of 8 Old 12-13-2005, 10:32 AM
SMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivos
The problem with DVD recorders is that it can't make a true pvr (unless its a DVD-RAM type) meaning you cannot record one program while viewing another. Also they depend on disk media which means dust & other issues. Still I would be interested in seeing how this works for local cable in India.
The DMR-E85 has a built in 80 GB hard drive. My parents will actually never use the DVD recorder feature, but I couldn't find a DVR-only machine.

I guess they can sell their current DVD player now
:)
post #8 of 8 Old 01-18-2006, 08:20 AM

SMG,

Do you think we could find dvd recorders with PAL tuner easier in the Asian market i.e. Singapore, Malaysia etc? When we buy it here, we are paying a premium for the multi-format. I am sure Panny makes a model for the Asian market with PAL tuners. If they sell them in India for Rs. 8-10K, its not a bad buy.
Btw, how is the DMR-E85 working out for your parents? How easy is it to setup scheduled recording like daily programs?
Also, with Direct-to-home(DTH) services coming up, a pvr/dvr is in the works from Zee(DishTV). They are promising 80-100hrs. Of course, you need to subscribe to the DishTV DTH packages.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page