Strange problem: DCT6412 will not communicate with cable company (Shaw) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-18-2005, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a "brand new" 6412 from a legitimate seller on ebay. The box just arrived and was in immaculate condition (even still had the lcd protective stickers on).

Anyway, I called up my cable company and gave them the GI number. Once it was added to their system, they tried sending information to the box. It was supposed to turn off and it didnt. They claimed they were unable to make a connection. I reconfirmed the GI number and made sure it was connected directly to the wall.

They said it might be my cables that are not configured for the service but the tech wont be stopping by for another few days. I am worried that it might be the box. It powers on correctly and displays "one moment please". The remote that came with it said "comcast" on it. Lets consider that the box was activated aleady in the US and Comcast had sent their software to the unit, would that cause the box to not respond on a different network?

Anyone have any idea what could cause this problem, and more importantly is there any way to completely RESET the unit? Getting Shaw to replace/repair the unit is not really an option. They dont support hardware that is not in their system.

NOTE: I used to recieve standard digital cable just fine. Isnt it the same for the high def? Seems like its probably not the connection.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-19-2005, 06:52 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodien
I just bought a "brand new" 6412 from a legitimate seller on ebay. The box just arrived and was in immaculate condition (even still had the lcd protective stickers on).

Anyway, I called up my cable company and gave them the GI number. Once it was added to their system, they tried sending information to the box. It was supposed to turn off and it didnt. They claimed they were unable to make a connection. I reconfirmed the GI number and made sure it was connected directly to the wall.
People buy DVRs off EBay scammers all the time, but in the two years i've been paying attention not a single poster (dozens of them) has been able to get an EBay Motorola 6412 or SA8000/8300 DVR to work with their cable company. These things are keyed/encrypted for the original cable company's territory and will not work on any other network than the one it was originally keyed for.

In the USA, a private individual cannot "own" a cable DVR - Motorola and Scientific Atlanta only sell direct to cable companies so they can in turn rent them out. No USA cable company sells DVRs either, they're only rented out. If someone is selling one, it's either stolen or abandoned but it is still the property of the issuing cable company.

http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/how_to_get.asp

I suggest you consider getting a refund from the "legitimate seller" . . . . .

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #3 of 4 Old 06-23-2005, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodien
the tech wont be stopping by for another few days.
So what happened when the tech came out? Did you get it going??

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #4 of 4 Old 07-01-2005, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They swapped the box. works great now. Lets just say, Im lucky they didnt ask for a reciept.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page