Pls Help: Issues with DirecTivo and SmartUPS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-27-2005, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've submitted a similar post on tivocommunity but have not recv. any replies addressing possible issues with my UPS.

Here's my situation, I have a Hughes HDVR2 unit that I upgraded with two - 120 GB hard drives about 2 years ago. About two weeks ago I got the 6.2 upgrade (with folders and a few extras). This unit has been plugged into a BrickWall surge protector for about 2 months now.

Last weekend I installed an APC 1400 SmartUPS based on msgs. I found in this forum. (The power goes from the wall, to brickwall to ups to tivo + tv + amp + dvd)

The symptom I am having is that while watching live TV during the day (at night while watching recorded TV doesn't seem to have any issues), the DirecTivo unit will "reboot / restart" on its own for now apparrent reason. I thought it was the Tivo unit and called DTV, but they were of no help to fix my current unit.

To try an eliminate the UPS, I unplugged the Tivo from the UPS and plugged it into the brickwall (so I have power to brickwall to tivo + ups to tv + amp + dvd). Tivo was still rebooting. (I have a DLP TV and when the unit would reboot, I would not notice any power flux on the TV. Maybe the Tivo is more sensitive???)

Thinking that maybe the UPS was drawing a power surge, I completely disconnected the UPS and plugged all of my comps. back into the brickwall. So far I have not witnesses any reboots since Sat. night.

I'm still waiting to hear back from refurbups support. In the mean time, I going to relocate the UPS to a PC and see if one of my PC has the same issues Tivo did.

My question to you guys/ladies, has anyone else had similar issues with the UPS and Tivo combo, please let me know. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot or remedy this situtaion would also be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I used to be a product manager for one of APC's biggest competitors. Here's what I'm guessing is happening.

The SmartUPS is a "stand-by" unit, which means that the battery is only used when the power fails, or voltage drops to or below the unit's trigger level. Without getting really technical, there are two basic types of "UPS's". One is "true on-line", which means the battery is always in the circuit. When the power falls, the battery is already in the circuit so the protected load (your Directivo) neer "knows" that the power has failed.

A Standby Power System (SPS) like the SmartUPS is different. The input and output lines are tied together until the power fails. Then a relay engages the battery and generates output power. This relay takes 80 or 90 milliseconds or so to engage.

I'm guessing that you are getting very short voltages sags which is causing the SmartUPS to go to battery. The relay delay going to battery may be enough to cause the Directivo to reboot. These sags would not be low enough for the Directivo's power supply to drop off without the SmartUPS in the circuit.

One way to check it is to listen for the UPS to beep as it goes to battery. (The older SmartUPSs used to do this. The new ones should, too.) As an alternate, hook up a PC the the UPS and run PowerChute software. I think it has an event logging feature that will show when it goes to battery. If the UPS beeps when the Directivo reboots, you have your answer.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page