Buy your own dvr? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-28-2005, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well kiddies and gentlemens, this'll be my first post here. Hopefully I can bring to the table some things later on down the road.

However, thats not what this post is about. I have a simple question. I have time warner digital cable up here in Albany (NY), and I don't want to spend the 5$ more a month on dvr. They toss a sci-atlanta 8000 at yah and thats about it. Can I just buy one of those suckers on eBay, and just plug and play? Or does it need some sort of "activation" like a mac-address on a modem? Or will it not work at all.

Thanks,

Bambini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-29-2005, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
No buying one won't work - the ones on EBAY are stolen. All digital/HD cable boxes require activation by the local cable company and they won't do it for one they don't rent. Yes each box has a unique network mac-address. Rent one its cheaper in the long run, it would take 5 years or more of rental fees to pay for one and with renting you can swap if the box has a failure or when new enhanced models come out (every 6months or a year).
post #3 of 4 Old 06-29-2005, 07:01 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambini
I have time warner digital cable up here in Albany (NY), and I don't want to spend the 5$ more a month on dvr. They toss a sci-atlanta 8000 at yah and thats about it. Can I just buy one of those suckers on eBay, and just plug and play? Or does it need some sort of "activation" like a mac-address on a modem? Or will it not work at all.
It was smart of you to ask here before blindy buying one off EBay, which as Joxer said are all stolen. In the USA, all DVRs remain the property of the cable company that first issued them. If you try to use one that did not come from your local cable office it will not work. Lots of people have spent $200-$300 or more on an EBay DVR only to come here or the SA8000 Mailing List after the fact asking why it doesn't work. I've corresponded with several bidders and auction "winners" in the past few years and so far not a single one was able to get their EBay DVR to work with their cable company. If you search this forum and the HDTV Recorders forum you'll find lots of discussion about this.

Besides, it's much better to rent one of these things than own it and i'm glad they don't make us buy them like some providers in Canada do. They do fail from time to time and it's nice to be able to carry it in have TWC replace it with no hassles. Also, when new models come out you can simply exchange it for a new one. Five bucks a month is nothing - i earn that much in 10 minutes and it's a teensy price to pay for the incredible convenience the DVR provides.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 4 Old 06-29-2005, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
thanks for your input guys. Saved me time and trouble. The only other reason I contemplated this, is because I read an article over at tomshardware reviewing several dvrs. It didn't detail how the services were provided, or what hoops you have to jump through for them to work, so I figured they were plug and play.

On the other hand, say I were ballsey (not that I am... I just figured Id play devils advocate) enough to go out and drop 600+ on a new dvr (i.e. the top ranked sony 160 gigger), can I just have it activated like a cable modem, and not pay extra fees for renting?
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page