Rogers SA8000 to DVD - best/cheapest solution? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-08-2005, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all.

I have a bunch of content stored on my rented (from my cable company, Rogers Cable) PVR (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 DTVSA). It's the standard video model, not High Definition - I haven't forked out for a wide-screen TV yet. I'd like to get my shows out of the PVR because the 80Gb hard drive in the PVR is getting full. I would like to end up with the shows on DVDs playable in my JVC XV-S40BK DVD player.

What would you suggest?

My first thought is to get the video/audio to a computer with a DVD burner (though it seems authoring and burning DVDs can be pretty complicated and time-consuming). Here's the computer equipment I have:

PowerMac G4 450MHz "Sawtooth" 80Gb, 120Gb drives, Pioneer DVR-109 DVD/CD burner

PowerBook G4 12" 1.5Ghz, 60Gb drive, Combo drive - DVD, CD reader/CD burner

It would be great if I could simply connect the PVR to one of my computers via Firewire. The SA E8000 has two Firewire ports - but they're disabled by Rogers Cable.

My first effort was to buy a CAD$200 Miglia Alchemy PVR PCI card for the G4/450MHz PowerMac.

I hooked it up to the PVR with S-Video and audio cables. I got a recording (MPEG4, 1:2), but the quality was not very good - visible pixillation, lines on whip pans, etc. I've been told by someone who knows a lot about this sort of thing that I'll never get very good quality using this card, especially using a lower speed PowerMac like mine. (Though if you've got tips for me, please let me know.) I'm thinking about returning this card.

Other options I've heard about:

1. Buy a cheap DV Camcorder, and use the PVR's VCR out and S-Video jacks to connect, record to DV tape. Then play back the DV into my Mac using Firewire, recording in iMovie.

Concerns:

DV file size is huge, no? For a 1 hour TV show, I've heard it can go to over 20G. How would I ever shrink that enough to fit on a 4.4Gb DVD-R?

Maintenance is an issue, because DV heads will go out of alignment with heavy use.

Cost? ~CAD$400

Advantage: I get a video camera, albeit a lower quality one at this price point. It also frees me from the limitations of processor speed and can be used with either of my computers.

2. Buy a "breakout box" such as the Canopus ADVC 55. Connect in similar fashion, then transfer DV to computer over Firewire, recording in iMovie.

Concerns:

Same issue with DV file size.

Cost? ~ CAD$400

Advantage: It doesn't seem to require a high speed CPU, and can be plugged in to either of my computers.

3. Forget about using my Macs or the DVD burner. Buy a DVD Recorder, such as the Pioneer DVR-233-S Progressive Scan 1-Disc DVD Recorder for sale at Future Shop for CAD$300.

Concerns: more difficult to edit out commercials, etc.

Advantage: I end up with playable DVDs pretty quickly. (Does anyone know if these Recorders' disks can be read by iMovie?

4. Shell out for a computer that's fast enough to use the Alchemy card to make good pictures.

Concerns: Cost, how much is enough?

Advantage: It's always nice to have a faster PowerMac or other Mac that can use the PCI card.

Has anyone figured this out? Any other solutions? Thoughts? I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Mike Gordon
Toronto
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page