sa 8XXX pieces of JUNK - how to format - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-08-2005, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a non HD 8300 and i am trying to figure out how to format is as i am getting hard drive errors. I will exchange it (again for the 3rd time) but i can't do it for a wek and it's tweaking out badly.

Does anyone have any info? I tried the whole hold pause down until the mail light flashes thing but got no where. I don't think this is a SARA system as it's not HD - so any pointers welcome.

On a side note.. are there any DTV capable pc tv tuners? I am happy to build my own dvr but living in Manhattan am limited to DTV if i want to PPV anything (i do).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-09-2005, 05:07 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by h00ligan
I have a non HD 8300 and i am trying to figure out how to format is as i am getting hard drive errors. I will exchange it (again for the 3rd time) but i can't do it for a week and it's tweaking out badly.

Does anyone have any info? I tried the whole hold pause down until the mail light flashes thing but got no where. I don't think this is a SARA system as it's not HD - so any pointers welcome.
The SA8300 with SARA software comes in both SD and HD versions, so it could still be SARA even though it's not HD. It's super easy to determine which software you're running so you'll have to confirm whether it's SARA or Pioneer Passport, but since you can't get it to format the hard drive then it's probably Passport - and there's no way to format the hard drive on Passport boxes.

If you can't figure out how to get into the diagnostic screens to see what software it's using, just unplug it and watch your TV screen as it boots up - if it's Pioneer you'll see the Pioneer Passport splash screen as it goes through the boot up process.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #3 of 5 Old 07-09-2005, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

hey, thanks a lot for the response. It is in fact pioneer. I am so utterly disappointed with this unit but i can't find another solution with 2 tuner recording. I would easily pay for a box if i could get a tivo that could work with my cable - but no go. There are no DTV pc cards unfortunatley that i can find which restricts my PPV choices if i choose to build my own.

So far i have just had horrid experiences with these boxes - seems like i have to replace them every 4 months or so. Is this standard or am i having a horridly bad run?

Thanks again for taking the time.

-h
post #4 of 5 Old 07-09-2005, 05:37 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by h00ligan
hey, thanks a lot for the response. It is in fact pioneer. I am so utterly disappointed with this unit but i can't find another solution with 2 tuner recording........

So far i have just had horrid experiences with these boxes - seems like i have to replace them every 4 months or so. Is this standard or am i having a horridly bad run?
You're just having a horridly bad run :D

I've had my regular SA8000 for over two years and aside from a few buggy Passport software downloads that were ultimately corrected by TWC early in it's life, it's been virtually trouble-free and 99.8% perfect ever since - and i record several things a day with an almost full hard drive. I also have an SA8000HD that's almost a year old and it also works virtually flawlessly, with the exception of a few mystery self-reboots when i tried to bring up a PIP window. I have a few dozen friends & neighbors & co-workers & customers who's DVRs work just fine.

To top it off, the 8300 & 8300HD with Passport are reported to be even more stable and trouble-free than the 8000 series so i'd consider anything less than perfect operation as defective unit. It sux that yours aren't lasting very long.

What fails on it? Does the hard drive crash, or does it just become unreliable? Are you losing old recordings from your list? What version of Passport does it run?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #5 of 5 Old 07-15-2005, 07:57 PM

I've had my standard def 8300 since December. I've been very happy with it and would have no hesitation recommending it. I had a few problems several weeks ago when I landed on some channels that had been newly vacated (the metro channels) and as I'd move to the next channel my set would reboot. I called cablevision and they said they'd get on it right away. They did and everything's been fine.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page