AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New DVR Drops Jaws In London (Awesome !)

788 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  winowicki 
#1 ·
Go ahead and read it here:
Promise TV

The box was a prototype of a digital video recorder from Ascot, England, start-up Promise TV that can record and index an entire week's worth of British digital-television programming.

To Doctorow, an editor of the popular culture blog BoingBoing and the Electronic Frontier Foundation's European outreach coordinator, Promise TV has broken impressive new ground with its DVR, which it plans to unveil next month.

"There wasn't a jaw in the room that wasn't scraping the floor during (the) demo," he said. "It was genuinely futuristic."

Dominic Ludlam, Promise TV's lead developer, said the project was commissioned by the BBC and uses commodity PC hardware, including a bank of hard drives totaling 3.2 terabytes.

At week's end, new programming overwrites previous programs, although those recordings can be archived on separate storage devices.

"This method of recording transmitted television completely removes the need for viewers to preselect programs they wish to record or watch," said Ludlam. "This could well herald a change in the way we watch television. No longer need there be any peak viewing time or head-to-head competition between channels."

Sounds pretty cool to me, Instead of picking what to watch it records the entire week.

So shall we start estimated on how much this puppy with run with 3.2 TB of space ?

See less See more
#2 ·
I am wondering what the PQ is though, I can't imagine 3.2 TB being enough for every channel

#3 ·
I think there are many fewer channels in England? My information might be old. But the article mentions that it obviously does not scale to 80 channels.

It might not be that outrageous, however, since we typically only care about, say, a half dozen or so channels. Certainly this is the approach taken by the big cable companies in the U.S. that want to offer this kind of service from a central server, where Terabytes are relatively cheap when amortized over many users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.