some cablevision sa8300hd questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-28-2005, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking of switching from tivo to a 8300HD box -- I know its no tivo, but how much worse is it really? I have heard about odd things when you start to watch a recorded show that is still recording is that true? also has cablevision upgraded the software as needed or as it is and thats what you get attitude?

does it record two shows at once? also do you need to use two different video cables (SD and HD?) and kind I buy a HDMI to DVI (my panasonic LCD is dvi) also I have read that the video (SD or HD) is better then my basic analog cable and tivo?

How many hours of SD and HD shows? What kind of show conflicts does it provide?

oh why the switch - I want to go digital IO which has only so-so video quality and after being converted twice (digitaltoanalogtodigigaltoanalong it looks poor) I figure going to 8300HD boxes would be OK just don't know if I've been spoiled by tivo too much?)
thanks in advance

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-02-2005, 11:49 AM

Liked: 11
The SA8300 is a box with great ideas, but with software problems which Cablevision and SA are trying to resolve.

If you have the IO service, you hook up your SA box with standard RG6 cable--one cable feeds both internal tuners. Hook up your TV by HDMI (or component if you have no HDMI/DVI on your TV).

The box can record up to two different channels at a time, and play back something previously recorded. There's a buffer for live TV watching, but there are some bugs (see below).

Data is recorded in direct digital format, as transmitted by Cablevision, so there is no further conversion (and degradation) due to saving it on disk.

The internal HD is 160 gigs, which can hold perhaps 20 hours of HD programming or 160 hours of SD programming. The box has an external SATA port, and many users have reported successfully connecting external 300 gig hard drives to increase their storage time--the system automatically recognizes the connected external drive, formats the disk, and seamlessly integrates the external storage room.

Downside: some users have complained of noise; the hard drive will start up at odd times for system maintenance.

Now to the software: the major bug affected Cablevision users currently is the loss of scheduled recordings. This is pretty significant, because if you can't rely upon the recorder to record, why get it? I suggest you look at the Cablevision newsgroup on Yahoo, and read the recent posts on SA8300 issues.

I use a Panasonic DMR-E85 to record my programs (SD only). I am toying with the idea of getting the SA8300, once they've ironed out the software glitches. Note that Cablevision supposedly plans to implement VOD (video on demand) for all channels, using their own servers. This will remove the requirement for hard drives in each set-top box, but the downside is that the user will NOT be able to fast-forward through commercials.

--Dean L. Surkin
post #3 of 4 Old 08-10-2005, 06:54 AM

You mentioned that you have the E85. Are you finding that you cannot get the TV guide through Cablevision's HD box? Orginally, I had no problems, but now I can't get the TV guide signal back. Any advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-15-2005, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurkin
The SA8300 is a box with great ideas, but with software
Now to the software: the major bug affected Cablevision users currently is the loss of scheduled recordings. This is pretty significant, because if you can't rely upon the recorder to record, why get it? I suggest you look at the Cablevision newsgroup on Yahoo, and read the recent posts on SA8300 issues.
I'm having this problem. I think it started in the last several months. Have had the 8300 for about 9 months. Do you have a more specific link to the Cablevision discussion group on Yahoo?
Otherwise I'm quite happy with the 8300. I like being able to record two different shows at the same time.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page