What is out there in Standalone HDTV DVR's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-13-2005, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have never looked into the PVR/DVR area much in the past. I have looked around here in these forums and have not seen a situation quite like what I am looking for.

I only do Analog and HDTV over the air and am not interested in satelite or the other available services.

Ihave a Sony KDF-55WF655 LCD projection TV and a Vizio L32 32" LCD Monitor that I use with a LG LST-3510A HDTV Tunere/DVD Player combo with HD grade output. I am happy with both, but would like to have rather infrequent record ability of HDTV and Analog TV along with Time Slipping for the Sony.

Basically I would like a plain jane DVR which only has the two above abilities with nothing else. I have looked at the Tivo equipment and do not see anything that I am interested in. I have looked at the two new Sony DVR's but $800 to $1000 seems a lot to pay for what I am looking for.

I have a DVI capable Computer that I know I can put a HD card in and with a DVI/HDMI conversion cable accomplish this, but would rather not have the extra equipment running just to accomplish this goal.

Is there anything out there as I describe? :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-16-2005, 12:44 PM

So what's wrong with the LG LST-3410A? I love mine, excellent HDTV quality and can archive to DVHS. The only knock is that the guide data, which simplifys scheduling, can't live with both cable and over the air input sources. If you have only OTA there shouldn't be that problem.

True LG isn't making them any more but the latest version can be had for maybe under $600 street price?

Ultimate AV link: http://ultimateavmag.com/accessories/1104lg/
post #3 of 6 Old 08-16-2005, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mybe nothing. :)

It at least is a possibility. The couple of oddities he mentions with losing the scheduling when on DVI, which I would definately be using, and not being able to start recording and 30 minutes later watch from the beginning or record and watch at the same time like with TIVO might be a killer, but I will not rule it out for those reasons just yet.

Any idea if FotoConnection is a good company to buy from?
post #4 of 6 Old 08-17-2005, 01:25 PM

I have not had any problem with the DVI connection not updating as mentioned in the article. I'm using the DVI-HDMI connection to my HDTV.

The 3410A has a "timeshift" function which is still not really very TIVO-like. The current recording continues while you can stop the action at the beginning or where ever. That is used on-the-fly only: you can't preprogram a show and use that.

Another possible prob. is the ability to watch another DTV channel while recording but I just watch another channel from my TV (Although it's only got an SD tuner) while the 3410A records. You'd want to split your signal into your other tuner-containing components anyway and you could get around that problem.

I've not used Fotconnections, I got mine from B&K photo. IME those NY B&M shops do pretty well for $ and service.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-31-2005, 02:41 PM

I think a myth tv box is about the only option I know of.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-31-2005, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony introduced two models in May or June: Sonystyle. There are a couple of threads about them in the HDTV Recorders & Players forum.
They use TVGuide on Screen and have no Ethernet connection.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page