8300HD Pixelation Question? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-22-2005, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night (sunday) All the shows I recorded (HBO and an encore) have lots of pixelation (screen breaking up a couple times a minute)

Did other people get a lot of that or is it as I suspect a problem with my box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-22-2005, 09:10 PM

Check to make sure you have a good connection (no loose connectors on the coax line) and make sure you have a splitter that will pass digital signal properly, or don't have any unnecessary splitters in line. (be sure all splitters are 2000 MHZ or above) If that is all good, I would have your cable provider come out and check out the signal quality.

Mongo Only Pawn in Game of Life
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2005, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,

I traded the box in and will see what that does since it was ONLY happenning on playback (not on direct viewing) I suspect a hard drive or other issue and most of all, I want to avoid switching boxes after I start recording more stuff.

I will also be sure to check the splitters (Unfortunately, the way the house is wired gives a couple splits but the splitters being used are from the cable company and I have an amp from them and and excellent signal with perfect picture.

1 last item; When they checked the box for a signal test while on the phone, they said both my boxes got a fail on the "transmit" test BUT he didn't know what that meant etc... so setup a service call for that next week. I will cancel it if the new box solved the problem anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostacaster
Check to make sure you have a good connection (no loose connectors on the coax line) and make sure you have a splitter that will pass digital signal properly, or don't have any unnecessary splitters in line. (be sure all splitters are 2000 MHZ or above) If that is all good, I would have your cable provider come out and check out the signal quality.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-23-2005, 07:34 PM

On the "failed to transmit" issue:

Do you have your cable box isolated through a surge protector of any type? If so, some surge protectors do not allow for a power pass which will give you problems with on-demand service or PPV...basically failing to transmit information to the cable provider. If you have a surge, try running the coax through the "satellite" portion of the surge,(common among monster power centers) or just bypass the surge completely. I have had issues with Comcast and Everest cable in KC doing just that problem.

Mongo Only Pawn in Game of Life
post #5 of 5 Old 08-24-2005, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

I do NOT have any type surge etc.. EXCEPT possibly the cable company hooked up amp? It is on the feed wire as it comes in the house. I am not particularly interested in on-demand or PPV so I don't really care at this point UNLESS it effects the signal etc... So far so good with the new box but need more time get actual recordings going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostacaster
On the "failed to transmit" issue:

Do you have your cable box isolated through a surge protector of any type? If so, some surge protectors do not allow for a power pass which will give you problems with on-demand service or PPV...basically failing to transmit information to the cable provider. If you have a surge, try running the coax through the "satellite" portion of the surge,(common among monster power centers) or just bypass the surge completely. I have had issues with Comcast and Everest cable in KC doing just that problem.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page