Issue with Comcast 6412 and watching live TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-26-2005, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Periodically, when I turn on the box to watch live TV, I don't get picture or sound. I get the full menu, and even the info box for that channel w. the show information, but no picture/sound. The only way I can work around this is to start playing a stored show on the DVR, then switching back to live TV, or unplugging the unit for a minute or so. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-05-2005, 07:13 PM

Known issue with the box... I don't believe Comcast has rolled out a FW update for this yet. Somone correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, to fix your issue, you can unplug the box from its' power source for a few seconds and plug it back in. Do this before you go to bed to by the time you wake up most of your Guide info is back.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2005, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Diddy
Known issue with the box... I don't believe Comcast has rolled out a FW update for this yet. Somone correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, to fix your issue, you can unplug the box from its' power source for a few seconds and plug it back in. Do this before you go to bed to by the time you wake up most of your Guide info is back.
Another fix for this is to just start a Recorded Program stored in the DVR. This should bring back your Audio & Video.. Wirks for me anyway.

Best thing to do, IS NEVER turn the Cable box to standby (off) as the cable box is never off unless you unplug power to it. The on/off just turns off the STB Display and the Audio / Video Outputs.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-12-2005, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Does putting it into 'standby' turn off the recording buffer? It sounds like when i hit the power button, the hard drive heads stop moving(of course the hard drive remains on).

If you left it on for a long time, would that decrease your recording space? Or does it have a threshold when it hits it rerecords over what it recorded an hour ago?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-12-2005, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883
Does putting it into 'standby' turn off the recording buffer? It sounds like when i hit the power button, the hard drive heads stop moving(of course the hard drive remains on).

If you left it on for a long time, would that decrease your recording space? Or does it have a threshold when it hits it rerecords over what it recorded an hour ago?
The recording buffer remains unless you set it to a pay per view ch. or a digital mudic ch. These Ch. will stop the buffer and cool the STB down when not in use.

Never turn the box to OFF/Standby mode...

The Hard Drive is Always on, unless the power cord is removed from the wall or unit.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-29-2005, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation1973
Periodically, when I turn on the box to watch live TV, I don't get picture or sound. I get the full menu, and even the info box for that channel w. the show information, but no picture/sound. The only way I can work around this is to start playing a stored show on the DVR, then switching back to live TV, or unplugging the unit for a minute or so. Anyone else experience this?
Yep. Same.

What's weird is that I've had my 6412 for one year now, and although it's mostly a piece of crap, it does and has worked without any major problems...until just this week. I just logged on to avsforum to search for "this problem" and here it is!

I get no sound, no picture, but full epg services. If I start a DVR'ed show, I get that show playing vid and aud. Hit stop, and I'm back to live vid and aud. Hey...maybe it's a new feature!

Anyhow, maybe my 6412 just took a s/w update hit? or f/w update hit? because, like I said, until this week, I never experienced this problem. Now I experience the exact problem zoo explains above.

I will be complaining to the ever helpful customer service at Comcast. :D

out!

-[ EFF ]-
post #7 of 7 Old 10-03-2005, 06:45 PM

Just got a 6412 fresh out of the box about 2 weeks ago. This just started happening a couple of days after I got it, so it wasn't that way from the start. Same fix which is start playing a pre-recorded show, then stop which works but its annoying as hell to HAVE to do that for this to work.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page