Motorola 6412 DVR with HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-03-2005, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone in Oregon have the new Comcast/Moto DVR boxes with HDMI? Is it still the 6412 or is it a new model number?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-04-2005, 02:35 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slorente
Anyone in Oregon have the new Comcast/Moto DVR boxes with HDMI? Is it still the 6412 or is it a new model number?

Thanks!
I work for my cable company, and within the last month we have started using a new box, model is little different then a dct6412, its listed as a "p3-6412", phase III is listed on the front. It doesnt have DVI, but HDMI.

The primary reason for this box (p3-6412) is the improved analog tuner, the 6208 and 6412 wich watching analog tv on a large widescreen tv shows alot of blocking, basicly looked poor. for regular tv sets, i dont think there will be much difference in quality.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-06-2005, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
danfn, are you in Oregon or another state? It sounds like Oregon doens't have these yet.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-12-2005, 01:30 PM

Similar question to the above. Is the p3-6412 available in San Francisco (Comcast) yet?

Thanks
Steve
post #5 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 02:52 PM

My original DCT 6412 died the other day, and after 2 weeks of some insane dealings with Comcast i got it replaced (not an easy processs, took 16.5 hrs of time)

But what i got was a new Phase III as metioned here, it has HDMI and a SATA port now! I'd like to add an external hard drive but not sure how or if its possible, i don't want to just buy one and find out it doesn't work.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 02:56 PM

What did you have to do for 2 weeks? When my 6412 conked out, I just unhooked it, brought it to my cable company's office, and asked for a replacement. Took probably 5 minutes total. I'm not on Comcast (I'm on Cableone) but I can't imagine what kind of stuff they'd have you do for 2 weeks, especially with the history these boxes have of going bad...
post #7 of 15 Old 09-27-2005, 06:09 PM

lucky for you i had this typed up.. enjoy the saga.

Min Description
Box Broke
30 Called and wanted box right away, said I had to go to the office to pick it up immediately but it wouldn’t be a DVR
60 Got box, said I had to call to make appt for tech to bring out dual tuner DVR
30 Called and made appt w/tech to bring dual tuner DVR
240 Waited 4 hours, tech finally came with SINGLE tuner DVR
30 Called again after realized (also crappy menus) to make another appt to have Tech bring out dual tuner DVR
240 Waited 4 hours no arrival
15 Called and asked what was going on, they told me it would be another 2.5 hours I said unacceptable I wanted it sooner, was put on hold then disconnected
30 Called back to talk to a manager, once I got a supervisor he offered 35 credit for my time, I said I wanted the month because of the amount of time I had to spend, said I needed to call corporate
150 Technitian never arrived after 2.5 additional hours waiting
15 Called back again to find out what was going on and was told a supervisor would call me, never did
30 Called back because of no call to schedule a pickup of the dual tuner at the local lobby
15 Called before pickup of box to ensure it would be there, they told me the order was in and it would be there
45 Went to lounge to pickup box, after 15 mins of waiting was told by Shaunee that they didn’t have any more DVRs, I told them I had an order, they said it didn't matter, that the call center didn't know how many they had, she said she would hold one for me and call me monday
15 I called the call center to tell them what happened and they set up a Friday pickup incase shaunee didn't call me on Monday
Shaunee called and left me a msg Monday saying she had one set aside
45 Picked up dual tuner DVR Monday Eve.

15 Called Corporate (Spoke w/Edgar) 323-993-8175 ($32)
15 Called Corporate again (spke w/Michael) gave full month credit
DONE
17hrs Hours Total, 11 Calls (4hrs), 2 Weekend Waits (10.5hrs), 3 Instore Vists (2.5hrs)
post #8 of 15 Old 09-28-2005, 10:51 PM

Hmm, I wasn't aware that these had an improved analog tuner. The one in the previous 6412s is certainly pretty poor. Anyone who upgraded to a Phase III over an older box have any input on better SD quality?
post #9 of 15 Old 09-29-2005, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodicskys
lucky for you i had this typed up.. enjoy the saga.
That is quite the saga - sounds like you ran afoul of supply problems. I guess the same thing could have happened to me if I went in to the office and they didn't have any DVRs left. But I've never called them for anything - I always just stop by the office if I need anything. Then it forces them to do something for you, if they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocmir
Hmm, I wasn't aware that these had an improved analog tuner. The one in the previous 6412s is certainly pretty poor. Anyone who upgraded to a Phase III over an older box have any input on better SD quality?
It's a LOT better. Night and day. Not only is it better, it's "fine" - there's no real difference between connecting straight to the TV or through the DVR anymore.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-16-2005, 10:19 PM

Has anyone connected the HDMI output to one of the new hdmi switching receivers?

Do you have any HDCP handshake problems connecting the STB to a receiver through HDMI?

Does the HDMI port pass 5.1 audio?

Does anyone know the HDMI version on the STB?

Thanks

Aly Sergie
post #11 of 15 Old 10-18-2005, 02:49 PM

Does anyone in NH have a Phase III box yet? I had a Comcast guy at my house the other day and he said the new boxes were coming soon.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-18-2005, 06:13 PM

The Phase III Boxes are in California now... San Jose... but they are FINIKY! I have replaced the box two times already.

Now the new box i have has Both the "Blank Screen" issue on all channels (analog and digital/HD) unless you power off and power on. The 5.1 DD no longer works via the DVR (recorded, or live and Paused) or watching Live content. Every talk with Comcast reps, they always tell me the same thing, bring the box back or reboot the box.

yuck... hope Comcast can fix the issue soon, or my experience will not be "Comcastic"...
post #13 of 15 Old 10-18-2005, 06:49 PM

My "old" 6412 died (no video), It had audio and could get video if I started a recorded program then backed out....anyway, 2 days later a new 6412 showed up. It does have the HDMI port and SD seems ok but still not as good as the CC.

Dave
post #14 of 15 Old 11-07-2005, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaument
...could get video if I started a recorded program then backed out
Dave
Dave (or anyone)

I'm having the same problem when I power-up my dvr. I need to go into a recorded program, then hitting any channel will give me video. Don't get video otherwise. I've only had the box a couple of weeks. It was fine the 1st week, then started doing this a couple of days ago. Is this a problem with the DVR (that it needs to be replaced?)
post #15 of 15 Old 11-11-2005, 01:48 AM

I have the same question. I've heard that Motorola Cable Boxes have a problem with the new HDMI switching receivers coming out. Anyone give this version a go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamsergie
Has anyone connected the HDMI output to one of the new hdmi switching receivers?

Do you have any HDCP handshake problems connecting the STB to a receiver through HDMI?

Does the HDMI port pass 5.1 audio?

Does anyone know the HDMI version on the STB?

Thanks
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page