DVR/PVR to Mac - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2005, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I did a search in this forum for the question I'm going to ask and only found two that broached the subject, neither of which had to do with the use of Mac computers. So I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before, I know some are anal about seeing repeated subjects.

Now, what I want to know is, is there a digital video recorder in any form, whether TiVo, Replay, or a DVD recorder with a hard drive, with which it would be possible to transfer VHS onto their hard drive, then transfer the digitized video files onto a Mac-compatible external hard drive or DVD-RAM drive? USB or Firewire would do it for me as far as transfer.

I appreciate any helpful answers, and I ask that in your responses try to keep any abbreviations or jargon to a minimum. I don't know all the technical terminology yet.

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If your final objective is a digital video file on the Mac, I'm not sure why you want to use a DVR as an intermediate step. It's fairly easy, with some additional hardware, to transfer analog video, such as a VHS tape, to a DV file on the Mac. The additonal hardware is an analog-to-DV converter such as one of the ADVC boxes from Canopus. Video can be input into iMovie for editing and burning to DVD. You do need lots of hard disk space (an external Firewire drive will do) as 30 minutes of digital video consumes about 6 GB disk space.

Note: Using the same method, you can transfer recorded programs from a digital video recorder to the computer, as long as the DVR has analog audio/video outputs.