w/o EPG nor Basic Tivo? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-06-2005, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a VCR replacement, not interested paying the monthly fee of any dvr service.

I found that there are models using either "Basic TIVO" or "EPG" for free.
But then I realize I HAVE TO use either of them in order to do the timer recording. Since I'll be moving over sea and both the free services might not be available. Is there any model that I can use as a VCR for timer recording w/o invoking any of the service above?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

I have a RCA generic type called Selenium I think....

It came out three years ago and holds about 40 hours, it also plays dvd's but it's extreamly sensitive to dvd's. If there's a scratch it's less apt to play etc.

In terms of the epg there's one by tv guide but I never got it to fully download. It comes over the local pbs affliates under the same signal that closed captioning comes in but the cable co's can strip it out etc.

In terms of getting it to work I wired it so one of the inputs on the pvr is wired from the cable box (there's a output of the cable box that I wired to one of the inputs on this)

I combined this with the vcr timers on the cable boxes epg itself and it works fine for the most part (might be off by 1 minute but still)

I paid $200 but there might be others that cost less now. Some are apting now for just a straight dvd recorder but I wouldn't want to pay for blanks all the time.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

You can pick up a tivo for $50 now... makes the lifetime fee a little easier. I personally use replays and wouldn't trade them!
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page