Problem Upgrading Panasonic DMR-E85HS Drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-11-2005, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just upgraded my Panasonic DMR-E85HS Drive from the Samsung SV1203N 120-GB drive that came with it to a new Maxtor 6Y250PO 250.0 GB OEM drive.

I had a problem at first, because I had no jumper ables for either drive, and tried the new drive stock. It kept giving errors and rebooting and finally said "Replace Drive." I tried a couple of times with the same result.

I finally did a web search and found that the Samsung was "Cable-select" and the Maxtor came stock as "Master." I re-jumpered the Maxtor to "Cable-Select" and reinstalled. It came up and asked to be formatted, so I did.

The problem comes when I look at the size, and the drive has *exactly* the same recording capacity on all settings as it did with the 120!

What have I overlooked?

Thanks!

Bob Faw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoBob
I have just upgraded my Panasonic DMR-E85HS Drive from the Samsung SV1203N 120-GB drive that came with it to a new Maxtor 6Y250PO 250.0 GB OEM drive. ---snip---

The problem comes when I look at the size, and the drive has *exactly* the same recording capacity on all settings as it did with the 120!

What have I overlooked?
This is an inherent "problem" with Panasonic DVD recorders that has been posted on many times in the past. The firmware only allows using the same size hard drive capacity as the original drive, period.

It even prevents swapping hard drives to get more capacity by writing some proprietary information on the hard drive. Then if the HDD is removed and a second HDD installed in its place, the firmware senses the new drive and will not allow the first HDD to be reinstalled and used as is. It will reformat the first HDD so all previous data on it will be lost.

It has also been posted that replacement HDDs should use about the same amount of power as the original HDD as the built-in power supply is not built to handle higher powered HDDs. Especially don't install a 7200 rpm HDD in place of a 5400 rpm drive or whatever the original HDD is. Otherwise you might have to replace the power supply too at some later point.

PS: If your unit uses the TV guide, I would appreciate any input you might have to my thread on the DMR-EH50 with TV Guide even though you have a different model.

Sorry for the bad news,
Skylark
post #3 of 4 Old 09-12-2005, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks, Skylark,

I did a few searches and saw only one mention of this and it was more of an aside. It was enough to make me fear what you have now confirmed--but I was hoping that *someone* had found a way. Looks like I'm stuck with this beast, as is.

Yes, I use the Guide+ and probably have more experiences with it's quirks (and how to get around many of them) than most folks.

I have an RCA 7000N, a Panasonic DMR-E85HS, and a Panny DMR-E95HS--all with Guide+. I've upgraded the two Pannys, and have also had to fight Gemstar automatically-downloaded upgrades. I've even had to cope with our local provider changing lineups and posting the wrong data to TV guide.

I'll look over at your thread.

Bob
post #4 of 4 Old 09-13-2005, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoBob
I did a few searches and saw only one mention of this and it was more of an aside.
The avsforum archives older posts and they are not included in normal searches. I figured out how to search the archives once before and found a lot of information that would not show up using the normal search.

But for the life of me I can't remember how to search the archives now. I tried looking for some notes on how to do it but have not any yet. Maybe some other lurker can post how to search the archives.

Skylark
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page