Panny DMR-EH50 TV Guide - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-11-2005, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just bought a DMR-EH50 and am struggling to learn how to use the TV Guide.

Was able to get the guide data loaded after 24 hours of off time but now I find that all available channels off the cable (direct connect without cable box) cannot be viewed by pressing the round selector in the up/down directions.

Looking at the guide's channel setup, the missing channels were not shown as "on". A few were listed but were shown as "off" so it was easy to just turn them "on" to get them to work. But about 15 channels are not even on the list. Surprisingly even the "E" channel which we like to watch was not on the list.

We are able to watch the unlisted channels by entering their channel numbers directly but we need them to be viewable by just pressing the channel up/down on the circular ring.

How are you other DMR-E50 users able to view all available channels in "channel surf mode" by pressing the channel up/down ring?

Thanks,
Skylark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-12-2005, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

To expand this question a bit, how are other users with different brand/models handling missing channels in their TV Guide listings?
Thanks,
Skylark
post #3 of 5 Old 09-12-2005, 04:58 PM

Liked: 10
Yes, I use the Guide+ and probably have more experiences with it's quirks (and how to get around many of them) than most folks.

I have an RCA 7000N, a Panasonic DMR-E85HS, and a Panny DMR-E95HS--all with Guide+. I've upgraded the two Pannys, and have also had to fight Gemstar automatically-downloaded upgrades. I've even had to cope with our local provider changing lineups and posting the wrong data to TV guide.

The first thing you need to know wit a Panny/Gemstar/TV Guide+ unit is that you need to update the firmware *immediately*--even if you just bought it (mine was 14 months old the day I brought it home).

Second, *DISABLE* the listings on start-up. This is the second greatest cause of crashes. This is done in the Setup pull-down menu from the Listings or Schedule screen--the same Setup that you use to reassign and enable/disable channels.

Now, on to your question:

In the Setup pull-down menu, the middle choice on all of mine allows customization of channels. To turn on one that is not enabled, *FIRST* find the call sign or name, assign it the proper channel number (from the right side), and then turn it on.

You can then go to the left side of the same listing and move the channel up or down on most recorders to put all of your active channels at the top of the listing so you don't have to page through so many. You can even type in a line number to send it to a given position. I send every live one to 1 as I go down and every dead one to 111. That gives me a gap, and I reposition the live ones in a separate step.

Turn off all channels you do not plan to watch. The more channels you have on, the longer it takes to download, the fewer channels get updated, and the less data you have for each channel.

Also, move your PBS stations to the top of the list, as Guide+ walks through channel selections from the top down, looking for a programming stream. Since you may have multiple PBS stations (I have 3), try experimenting with a different one on top, if your programming doesn't update correctly.

Also, if you only ran set-up once, you may not have the correct provider choice. If you live in an area with multiple providers (and/or multiple packages) you may have to run it again to choose the proper lineup.

In the first Setup selection from the pull down menu, you have the chance to say that your regional information is correct, but your listings are wrong. It takes yo to another screen where you can select which provider you have--if there are multiple providers in your area. If yours has the wrong channels (or too few) try another. If you chose "Basic" try "Premium" or "Digital" if they are available.

Also, if you live near a zip code boundary, try other zip codes within your area. My zip code was new, and after three days, I still had no listings. I changed to my neighboring zip code and got a large list of providers--including mine. It was a while back, and I don't remember if I had to wait overnight again to get them.

Finally, the programming *ONLY* updates at set times and *ONLY* when the set is in stand-by mode and *NOT* recording. In my area, these occur between midnight and 9 a.m. and turning my machine on (or recording a program) at *ANY* time during that period breaks the data stream and results in many holes in my schedule for nearly a week.

Once you break a programming stream, it apparently *thinks* you have it--and doesn't retry to load it again until you get within the 3-day window of the older units.

In effect, if you want to use Guide+, the machine is virtually useless from midnight to 8 or 9 a.m.

bob
post #4 of 5 Old 09-13-2005, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

VideoBob,

Thanks for your really detailed reply! Very helpful.
Darn, not being able to record at night to allow the TV Guide to download fully is the pits.

To clarify:
If the EH50 has the schedule for the next 8 days loaded properly and I do a timer record at night and interrupt the download, the previously good schedule will become corrupt? Is that right?

Thanks,
Skylark
post #5 of 5 Old 10-03-2005, 11:24 AM

Liked: 10
Sorry about the delay--I've been out of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark
VideoBob,

Thanks for your really detailed reply! Very helpful.
Darn, not being able to record at night to allow the TV Guide to download fully is the pits.

To clarify:
If the EH50 has the schedule for the next 8 days loaded properly and I do a timer record at night and interrupt the download, the previously good schedule will become corrupt? Is that right?

Thanks,
Skylark
This I am not sure of one way or the other, as when I notice a big hole in the middle of my programming, it is always several days after I last confirmed it was whole. Someday, I will have a definitive answer for this. Right now, I can just say that it *feels* like it does.

bob
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page