DVR playback on 6412 suddenly stopped working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-24-2005, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK I just recently (3 weeks ago or so) swapped out my old Motorola DCT6412 DVR box and got a new one, and got one of the new "phase 3" boxes, which was nice!

Anyway, I didn't have any problems for awhile, but I just started having some problems. The first thing I noticed was that when I was playing back some recorded shows, the fast forward buttons basically didn't work. It would start to fast forward, then it would just freeze. I could hit Play and it would keep playing, but I didn't really have a way to skip commercials. It was annoying, but I could deal with it.

After a couple days of that, I stopped one of the shows I was playing back, then when I tried to go back in and play it again it wouldn't start at all. The show information for the show I was playing back would come up on the screen (like the guide information) and the front of the box would switch to "PLA" but the playback wouldn't actually show up on the screen. It would just stay on whatever channel the box was tuned to previously. I tried a bunch of different recordings and the same thing happened. I tried powering off and back on, and the same thing happened.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this? Preferable without losing my recordings.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-25-2005, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck71
OK I just recently (3 weeks ago or so) swapped out my old Motorola DCT6412 DVR box and got a new one, and got one of the new "phase 3" boxes, which was nice!

Anyway, I didn't have any problems for awhile, but I just started having some problems. The first thing I noticed was that when I was playing back some recorded shows, the fast forward buttons basically didn't work. It would start to fast forward, then it would just freeze. I could hit Play and it would keep playing, but I didn't really have a way to skip commercials. It was annoying, but I could deal with it.

After a couple days of that, I stopped one of the shows I was playing back, then when I tried to go back in and play it again it wouldn't start at all. The show information for the show I was playing back would come up on the screen (like the guide information) and the front of the box would switch to "PLA" but the playback wouldn't actually show up on the screen. It would just stay on whatever channel the box was tuned to previously. I tried a bunch of different recordings and the same thing happened. I tried powering off and back on, and the same thing happened.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this? Preferable without losing my recordings.

Thanks!!
When you powered it off, did you turn the power off or unplug it? I've had my dvr freeze up like that and do weird things. Usually, unplugging it and then plugging it back in fixed it without losing any of my recordings. Beyond that, I wouldn't have any idea for you unfortunately. :(
post #3 of 5 Old 09-26-2005, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

After posting, I did end up unplugging it and plugging right back in. It did fix this problem without losing my recordings, but now the "3" and "7" buttons on the remote won't work. Oh well, at least I got to finish watching my recordings!!
post #4 of 5 Old 09-26-2005, 09:36 AM

What is the difference or upgrades in the Phase 3 model of the 6412. I have a 6412, but how do I tell what version it is?

Thanks
post #5 of 5 Old 09-26-2005, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

You can tell because the phase 3 boxes say something like "DCT6412 Phase III" on the front (at least mine does). If you've had the box for more than a month or two, you don't have one, becauase they just came out within the last couple months. The main differences are that the phase 3 boxes have HDMI output instead of DVI, and the picture quality on analog channels is MUCH better.

There are some other minor differences too. There's a big thread on the new boxes here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=558602
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page