Problem with DCT6412 and Toshiba 52HM84 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I seem to be having a problem that is kind of annoying. When I turn everything on to watch TV I get sound but no picture. My TV is on as I see the menus, but the screen is black. If I turn off the TV and turn it back on, the picture comes through fine.

I am using the DCT6412 PVR from Comcast. It is connected to my TV via a DVI - HDMI cable for video. Audio goes from the PVR to my receiver via an optical cable, but there's no problem there. I am using a Harmony 880 remote, but I tried turning everything on with the standard Toshiba remote and I got the same effect. I currently do not ever turn off the cable box, as I don't know if it will record while in the "off" state and haven't bothered doing any testing otherwise.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 09:41 AM

I don't know if it would make a difference, but you could try exchanging your box for a new "phase 3" box that has HDMI output instead of DVI, so you could use an HDMI-HDMI cable. I don't know of a reason the DVI-HDMI would cause a problem, but it's something to try.

As for turning the DVR "off" there really is no "off" setting for these boxes. They go to a standby mode, but none of the internals turn off. It definitely does record when in standby mode, but the only possible problem with it is if you have it in standby mode and a recording starts, the box will be muted so you won't hear any sound if you want to watch it while it's recording. Overall it's just best to leave it ON all the time.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

I suppose that's an idea, but seems like a last case idea unless I find out that the problem is specifically the cable box. Also, I'd rather not have to drop $100 or so on a new cable in order to test this out. Maybe I can try hooking it up to the component video inputs and see if it has the same problem.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I would try the component cable just to see what happens.

There is no "best", best is what's best for you...

Have you tried searching first?
post #5 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 11:09 AM

I don't know how long you need the cable to be, but you can get 6 and 10 foot HDMI cables under $10: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...d=10231&style= (scroll down to "HDMI Cables" section)
post #6 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

I just spoke to Toshiba customer service regarding this. They pointed out the following in the manual

To ensure that the HDMI or DVI device is reset
properly, it is recommended that you follow
these procedures:
• When turning on your electronic components,
turn on the TV first, and then the HDMI or
DVI device.
• When turning off your electronic components,
turn off the HDMI or DVI device first, and
then the TV.

So sounds like if I turn off the cable box when I'm not using the TV, it might work. Looks like I will give turning off the cable box a try. Rather than wasting space here with a bunch of questions about the cable box, I'll search for the info first.

Thanks for your help.

--brian
post #7 of 7 Old 09-27-2005, 12:16 PM

I think my TV has the same thing in the manual, but I've had no problems with leaving the DVR on all the time, and just turning the TV on. Mine is a Sony, and I do have HDMI-HDMI rather than DVI-HDMI, but it's still a somewhat similar setup.

I'd be interested to know what Toshiba would say if you told them that the DVI/HDMI device didn't really have an "off" setting (the box continues to operate even if you "turn it off") - but it's possible that standby setting is enough of an "off" to work with the TV.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page