Tivo vs. Replay vs. Comcast - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-03-2005, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I have spent the day researching some info in regard to Repay and Tivo units. I have a number of questions that I'm hoping some actual owners can answer.
1. If Replay units (1XXX-4XXX series) don't have any service fees, why do/did people ever buy Tivo units with $15/month fees or $300 lifetime? Not being facetious here, just curious.
2. Is it true that Comcast and Tivo units only have a 15-30 minute buffer in which to go back and watch whatever channel you are watching? I came across a Panasonic Showstopper unit (Replay) for $30 and have been able to go back up to 3 hours so far. Is there a limit on all DVRs?
3. In relation to question #1, why would anyone buy a 5XXX series Replay that requires a fee if they can get the older ones with no fee? If it is an issue of hdd recording space, wouldn't it just be cheaper to replace the hard drive with a larger one on an older unit?
4. If you have a Comcast cable box or Direct TV box that has its own guide with info for shows, while all the fuss about Tivo guides or Replay guides?

While there is tons of info in product guides and on the web, I am looking for real-life experiences with real-people answers. Thank you in advance for any info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
1. You can't buy those units anymore.. (except on ebay)
2. Tivo Yes as far as I know. Replays are limited by hard drive space.
3. See 1. And if you buy an old one on ebay, the original owner may have transfered the subscription to a new one. The old units could only go to 128 gigs, and had memory problems with too many shows.
4. The ability to hit record on that show your looking at on the guide.

I wouldn't trade my replays for any other product out there. It's easy to use and the designers did not take a 'big brother' attitude when making the box.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-03-2005, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I'm considering upgrading the unit to the max hdd space and letting my 7-year old use it just for fun since the upgrade is cheap and seems quite easy to do. For $30, I figured, how can I go wrong?
post #4 of 10 Old 10-04-2005, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmBubba
4. The ability to hit record on that show your looking at on the guide.
I have a Comcast HD DVR, and I can hit record on whatever show I'm looking at on the guide.
The only gripe I have about it is the "confirmation tag" re: recording now in progress, it stays up to long in my opinion.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-04-2005, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDHEAD
The only gripe I have about it is the "confirmation tag" re: recording now in progress, it stays up to long in my opinion.
If you hit EXIT on the remote the splash screen should go away.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-04-2005, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
1) I don't know? I got my Tivo used with the lifetime activation intact so i don't have to pay anything. I contacted Tivo and they said it was fine as the activation stays with the box and is fully transferable to a new owner at no charge.

2) I don't use my Tivo that way, its more of a glorified VCR to me. That whole "pause and rewind live TV" thing never was that exciting to me.

3) See #1

4) So people who's VCR is still blinking 12:00AM can operate them :D
Now they can find the show on the units guide and hit "record this show".

A 'phile and his money are soon parted...
post #7 of 10 Old 10-04-2005, 05:04 PM

Liked: 14
I have both the orignal SS and a new replay. The original is a lot slower when performing all types of menu operations and the new ones have better show recording conflict resolution.
The newer ones are just better. The old ones hard drive ran real hot, I've had two go in the old one. In the new design they put in a fan.
My old SS has been setting unplugged for over a year.
In MHO windows media center edition beats both of them.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-04-2005, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, this whole DVR stuff is fairly new to me since I had a prototype of a JVC SVHS unit that had a hard drive long before I heard of Tivo and Replay or DVD recorders came out with Time-Slip and the like. Since it never had fees, had a three-hour buffer for rewinding/pausing/ff live TV, had a pretty large hdd at the time and a very nice SVHS all in one, I always wondered why it never sold more units once it came out. I do like the "find all shows" feature, but everything else is pretty lame on the DVRs that I have seen so far. No doubt that the Windows Media Center is great, but within a year there will probably be something else that will be even better. Gotta love progress! I can't wait until they can beam a show directly into a port in my head. :D Thanks for the info.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-04-2005, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc
If you hit EXIT on the remote the splash screen should go away.
Yes, I know that. But still I think it stays up to long. 1-2 seconds is ok, but 5+ is to long IMO.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-05-2005, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Go into your setup on the cable box and change the confirmation tag time setting. Should get rid of it alot quicker. What is the brand of the cable box?
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page