DCT6412 Digital (optical) sound problem. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-05-2005, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a new H/K 635 to use as a receiver. I was excited that I get to use the optical outs of the 6412 for 5.1 sound.

Everything worked great till I noticed that everything under channel 100 produces no sound (I live in Chicago - Comcast).

Played around a bit and verified that the analog outs under channel 100 work fine. My H/K's OSD shows that channels under 100 are indeed linked but just no sound. If i chage chanels I can see the H/K aquire the optical link. However after it makes a linkit normall spits out something like 2/2/1.1 or 2/0/0 to show what kind of signal its aquired. It spits nothing out. At first I thought it might be something wrong with the H/K but the more I think about it, the less sure I am of that. Everything under channel 100 here is the old analog signal (non digital channels).

I recorded a 1 minute snippet to dvr on a under 100 channel and played that back and again, no sound.

Could it be that the old analog channels are just not sent to the optical outs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-06-2005, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Yes.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-06-2005, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmilas
...Could it be that the old analog channels are just not sent to the optical outs?
I am using the SPDIF (coaxial digital audio) connection on my 6412 and get sound on all channels. I will try to test this evening to see whether or not the optical output works the same way.

Have you tried changing the audio settings in the I-Guide setup menu?
post #4 of 14 Old 10-06-2005, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I played with the i-Guide menu, but as far as I can tell it only seems to affect analog outs.

I havent tried the rca digital out. I'll give that a try also.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-07-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hatcher
I am using the SPDIF (coaxial digital audio) connection on my 6412 and get sound on all channels. I will try to test this evening to see whether or not the optical output works the same way.
I tried it with my system and did get sound on analog cable channels using optical cable. I have a Motorola DCT-6412 Phase III connected to a Panasonic SA-XR70 receiver. I am on Armstrong Cable (iGuide software).

Does your receiver accept stereo over optical signals from other sources?
post #6 of 14 Old 10-08-2005, 08:42 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
It could, but it's not the case in our service area (Boston). I have a 6412 connected via optical output (only) to my Yamaha receiver. I get sound via the optical output on ALL channels.

Tony
post #7 of 14 Old 10-09-2005, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hatcher
I tried it with my system and did get sound on analog cable channels using optical cable. I have a Motorola DCT-6412 Phase III connected to a Panasonic SA-XR70 receiver. I am on Armstrong Cable (iGuide software).

Does your receiver accept stereo over optical signals from other sources?
I have my cd player and my Squuezebox2 connected via optical, so yes :)
post #8 of 14 Old 10-09-2005, 08:48 AM

Quote:

This goes back a few years ago... when CableOne first introduced their HD service... and although the first boxes were 6208's... They had this exact issue..
analog signals (stations) did not include digital audio, and an analog connection to the receiver was required to get sound to the receiver.

Only digital stations had audio through the coax or optical. Luckily, I had a Denon receiver that would automatically switch to the analog in, when a digital signal was not available. CableOne eventually "fixed" this limitation with a Firmware upgrade to their 6208 cable boxes, and then in the later part of last year, introduced the 6412's..

I am unsure if the same problem would have existed with the 6412, since the "problem" had been previously fixed for the 6208.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-09-2005, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I have my cd player and my Squuezebox2 connected via optical, so yes :)
Since I and others get analog station sound via digital output from our 6412's, I'd say either your 6412 is defective, or your cable company has not configured it correctly. Either way I think taking the problem to them would be the next step. Hopefully they will not tell you your box is working the way it is supposed to!
post #10 of 14 Old 10-10-2005, 11:17 AM

i got the p3 and I run the the optical to the receiver and it indeed receives audio from both the digital channels and the regular sunder channel 100, I know cause im watching something right now. When I look at the receiver and an analog audio comes on, the receiver shows a prologic2 signal coming and when I go to a 5.1 channel it automatically changes to Dolby D. The only link to the receiver from the cable box is the tosslink opti al cable. I also have a red and white left and right going to the tv as well for when i dont want to watch tv with the receiver on. I didnt have to configure anything for it all to work.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-25-2005, 09:04 PM

It's a known issue when you use HDMI as your video input. If you use component inputs, the DD audio is fine. You can play a recorded program with DD using HDMI for video and you will only get PCM, but simply change the input to component while the program is playing (have both hooked up) and the audio will magically change to DD.

The info on disk is fine, but the 6412 III implementation of HDMI is buggy.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-26-2005, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Firmware 12.22 solves the DD sound problem............
post #13 of 14 Old 10-28-2005, 01:31 PM

i am having all the same audio problems using HDMI. I have firmware version 12.18... how can I upgrade to 12.22???

Thanks
post #14 of 14 Old 12-11-2005, 12:57 PM

<<Everything worked great till I noticed that everything under channel 100 produces no sound (I live in Chicago - <<Comcast).

<<Played around a bit and verified that the analog outs under channel 100 work fine.

I'm having the same issue with my DCT6412, but I don't use the HDMI video out, I use the composite out. This issue only happens with the secondary tuner, not the primary. I had the tech out at my house and he had never seen it before. I guess I'll have to check which firmware I have. I also live in chicago area.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page