Help with choosing best available DVR box with Comcast - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-07-2005, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks in advance for the help!

I have finally switched over to the digital cable world after a good 15 year run with analog cable. I signed up for the basic digital service offered by Comcast Cable in the Maryland P.G. County area along with DVR service.

I have a friend who owns a Scientific Atlantica 8300 DVR box and said that this is the best DVR box out there from comcast right now. So when I ordered, I asked for one of those, but of course, when the cable guy came, he knew nothing about it and had a Motorola DCT6400 for me. He called comcast for me and I was told I can call customer service and ask for a new box to swap out (and hopefully this will actually be free of charge like they said).

My question is, what would really be the best DVR box option for me; since I am going to go through the hassle of asking for another one, I wanted to make sure it was well worth it and that the Scientific Atlantica 8300 was indeed the best out there.

One thing I have noticed that might be related to the Motorola DCT6400 box is that when I am switching channels, there is a pretty long (about 1 sec) delay for it to process. I know digital cable and satellite usually do this, but this just seems even slower than it should be and is even kind of choppy as the screen freezes for a second before the channel switches.

Any idea if this is related to the box that I have and what box, if any, would be best to fix this problem? Or could this be related to the hookup that I have right now which is straight analog (coax cable from the wall to the cable box and then to the TV - I know, that's disgusting!)?

But not to worry, I do plan on using either S-Video or Component to hook up to my TV...which brings me to my second question as to which of these connections would be best for digital cable (component or S-video)?
*FYI - Right now I have a Sony Wega KV36FS10 (yep, the very first generation wega!). This is not a digital, HD or even HD ready TV I think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-07-2005, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I live in Mont. Co., I was not aware that Comcast had anything other than the Moto boxes. I used to have the 6402 (or whatever the HD box is) but switched to the 6412 for the HD DVR. Channel changing is slow, I normally use the guide to pick a channel because those channel changes seem to be a little smoother. Almost all of our viewing on that TV is HD or the DVR of HD shows. We don't switch channels that much.

Go with Component for your connection. Comcast should provide a set of cables with the box. At least they do with the HD boxes.

There is no "best", best is what's best for you...

Have you tried searching first?
post #3 of 7 Old 10-07-2005, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

The best box for you would be the DCT-6412 Phase III (with HDMI and SATA connections).

Cable boxes like the Motorola DCT-6xxx and Scientific Atlanta 8xxx series are tied to the conditional access system of a particular cable plant. Motorola boxes run on Motorola plants ... Scientific Atlanta boxes run on Scientific Atlanta plants. You can't run a Scientific Atlanta box on a Motorola plant (unless the cable system has done a 'CA Overlay' which to my knowledge only Time Warner has done ... Comcast hasn't done it anywhere). Sounds like you're on a Motorola plants so ...

The best box for you would be the latest and greatest Motorola DCT-6412 Phase III (with HDMI and SATA connections).
post #4 of 7 Old 10-07-2005, 07:55 PM

Liked: 123
The one second delay is due to the DVR. I don't think there is any way around it, at least none that I have found or heard of.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-07-2005, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

I think I can live with a motorola DCT box especially since i don't even know if the Scientific Atlanta boxes are any better. The motorola boxes actually seem more popular from what I have seen by researching online. Are there any major differences between the two brands? One better than the other in any way?

I was actually supposed to receive a dual tuner DVR which would be the Motorola DCT6412, the one you mentioned to be the best out there. But somehow I ended up with a DCT6208, the single tuner. I will definitely switch it out for the better one.

Comcast gave me the DCT6400 series manual though which is for the 6412 or the 6416. Anyone know anything about this 6416? Is it something thats out? What is the difference between the two?

Also, another glitch I have noticed in the Digital cable world is with On Demand...when you hit 'Play' while forwarding or rewinding, the screen takes a good 3 seconds to catch on. This can be pretty annoying but I don't think this is anthing that can be fixed with a different box. Probably just a time delay with accessing On Demand right? Any way to fix it?
post #6 of 7 Old 10-08-2005, 04:54 PM

Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheikh25
I think I can live with a motorola DCT box especially since i don't even know if the Scientific Atlanta boxes are any better. The motorola boxes actually seem more popular from what I have seen by researching online. Are there any major differences between the two brands? One better than the other in any way?

I was actually supposed to receive a dual tuner DVR which would be the Motorola DCT6412, the one you mentioned to be the best out there. But somehow I ended up with a DCT6208, the single tuner. I will definitely switch it out for the better one.

Comcast gave me the DCT6400 series manual though which is for the 6412 or the 6416. Anyone know anything about this 6416? Is it something thats out? What is the difference between the two?

Also, another glitch I have noticed in the Digital cable world is with On Demand...when you hit 'Play' while forwarding or rewinding, the screen takes a good 3 seconds to catch on. This can be pretty annoying but I don't think this is anthing that can be fixed with a different box. Probably just a time delay with accessing On Demand right? Any way to fix it?
As to the last part, you are correct, there is no way around the delay, regardless of whatever box you use. It is rather annoying, but it's bearable.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-28-2005, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msheikh25

Ok, Yes, you must live with the Motorola cable box. Like DT_DC said, The reason is, your areas cable system uses them. The cable box must be the same as the cable system. It is not possible for you to use the Scientific Atlanta DVR, if you live in an area that uses a Motorola cable system. And visa versa.

The 6416 is still a DVR, however, it has a 160 Gig harddrive. (get it? 6412 has 120 gig) The 12 means 120 gig, and the 16 means 160 gig.

The 6412 Phase III DVR (the one with HDMI) is the best DVR Comcast has to offer, in my opinion. While it has HDMI active, the SATA port is DISABLED!

As for the delay. Please remember that the On Demand movies ARE NOT downloaded by your cable box. They are streamed to your cable box. So when you hit pause, the pause command has to be sent by your cable box, through the cable system. To the On demand system, that then pauses the movie for you. I do not see the slight delay ever going away. It should get less the better the technology gets. Maybe someday, you will download the movie into the cable box so there is no delay. I am such a dreamer! :eek:
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page