Phillips HDRW 720/17 Tv Guide Setup Help - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 83 Old 02-03-2006, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay I get.....mine inserted another CTV Channel as the host one time but it has never done it again. When mine does reset and I set it up again, it always puts Ch 13 as the host and the TV Guide loads the first night. The only nuisance is that I have to reprogram all my movies and weekly shows that I had there before....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 02-06-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkikkert View Post

My unit has been working great for the past few months except for one annoying fault. About half a dozen times now, I turn it on and the TV Guide has completely disappeared and the set-up screen is displayed.

Anyone else experiencing this problem....Any ideas?

I have had my 720 about 18 months and it has always done that. I don't know how many times I have complained to Philips about the problem but, according to them, it is not a wide spread problem.

Last year, when I had the power supply fail (it would not power up), I had to send it in for repair. I told them about the "failure to power up" problem and I mentioned the loss of the TV Guide problem too. When I get it back (it took over a month for them to fix it) the power supply was fixed but the guide still disapears every so often. I have the extended waranty on my unit and I called Philips AGAIN about three weeks ago complaining about the TV Guide problem. The tech took a lot of information (from the TVG diagnostic screen) and promised that someone from TVG or Philips would call me back. So far, no one has. I'll give them until the end of this week. If no one calls, I'll call Philips again. I have a Sony HD DVR that has the TVGOS and it never has lost its guide. It gets its data from the same channel as the Philips box so I know its not a fault of the data provider (the local PBS station).

Bill R
post #63 of 83 Old 02-11-2006, 03:37 PM

Bill...Let me know how you make out with Phillips. You might want to ask them if they are planning to put out another update to correct some of these problems. Ths trouble with these devices is as soon as another model comes out, they forget about the previous one and any updates....
post #64 of 83 Old 02-22-2006, 06:24 AM

I am also experiencing the same thing the TV Guide has completely disappeared and the set-up screen is displayed all of my scheduled recordings are also gone started about a month ago and its reset three times on the third time the guide information has not loaded up again its been about 2 weeks now does anybody know of a firmware upgrade coming to resolve this issue.
post #65 of 83 Old 02-27-2006, 03:15 PM
sig

Bill R (# 2), I have two 720's and they both experience the problem you describe. I keep patietly waiting for the next upgrade to post in hopes they have resolved the issue.
post #66 of 83 Old 02-27-2006, 03:59 PM

Let's all hope that Phillips reads this forum....
post #67 of 83 Old 03-28-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkikkert View Post

Let's all hope that Phillips reads this forum....

Hi bkikkert. Just wondering if you got the VCR issue sorted out? I am having the same issue where it doesn't recognize a signal and there is no way to manually add EXT 2 as an active input
post #68 of 83 Old 03-28-2006, 03:27 PM

No I didn't resolve that particular issue. What I did was input the VCR to the Camcorder input jacks on the front. Once your VCR is running, press CAM on the remote control. To select the number one or two CAM inputs, use the Channel + and _ buttons. Don't forget to set the recording speed under the system preferences menu.
post #69 of 83 Old 03-28-2006, 09:09 PM

Just wondering if anyone in Toronto with digital cable was able to get the TV guide channels? What post code did you use.

Thanks.
post #70 of 83 Old 04-06-2006, 03:23 PM

I think you have to go to the "Messages" screen in the TV guide option and pick the unit identity selection before you input the code. I have the same code and unit, that process works for me. Good luck.
post #71 of 83 Old 04-12-2006, 06:47 AM

I just want to post a success story.

I have comcast HD digital cable in New Haven CT. My guide loaded after two or so days.

First the channel list and advertisements loaded, then the actual listings filled in a day or two later.

My Scientific Atlanta Box Is connected through composite video to Ext2, while an RF cable out (traditional 'cable' of 'cable tv') goes in to the phillips Antennae input.
The Sci-Atlanta 3250HD disables component and S-Video outputs since I use a DVI connection to my television, leaving only coimposite as an option.

Fox, channel 5 appears to broadcast guide data.
post #72 of 83 Old 07-03-2006, 02:30 PM

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask if anyone knows if for example the nextdl is 23:14 (I am assuming that would be 11:14pm, do you have to have the box off an hr or two BEFORE the listed time? Or can you have it on up to like 30min before or something?

Also it says for my timezone its 0x43 anyone know what does that convert too?

Thanks.
post #73 of 83 Old 07-06-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basenji7 View Post

No response yet. I will call their support tonight if I get a chance. I know someone else that called and the support was pretty good.

Samsung - SIR-S310W

I'll post my findings.

d

I just got one and I can't get it to run my samsung Hd DTY unit. Did you have any luck with your?
post #74 of 83 Old 08-01-2006, 02:28 PM

I am a new user of this forum, so please bear with me.

Setup:

HDRW720/17 connected to digital cable box
Connected via standard coax
IR blaster interacting with cable box
No TV Guide data

I have had my HDRW720/17 for some time now. I used it very well for at least a year on standard cable. Now I am having trouble updating the TV Guide. I have turned off the HDRW720 for a few days with no apparent data population.

I do notice that the HDRW720 uses the IR blaster to change the channels. I am assumming from reading your postings that it is looking for the channel with the guide info. I have a motorola digital cable box.

I have not tried the code you all have mentioned regarding the data collection info from the message link within the TV Guide section. I will try this.

How do I tell it to use a certain channel for delivery of TV Guide info if I already know which one it is. BTW, I have Charter which uses an interactive TV Guide menu already by pushing the Guide button on the remote. There is no channel for this interactive menu, but there is a channel that the provider says is the TV Guide channel. If all else fails I can point to the PBS channel.

I hope someone can tell me what steps to take to change the guide channel.

Thanks in advance.
post #75 of 83 Old 08-01-2006, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

You realize that you need a analog channel to populate the guide from. If you have upgraded to digital cable and your cable company doesn't carry a analog channel for TVGOS guide data you are out of luck. You will have to downgrade and use analog cable again. The cable box also has to pass the data so a non-cable box setup would be perfered. The information that the TVGOS devices use is completely different the the Guide information that the cable operators send over for their set top boxes. The PBS channel will only work if it is analog and the settop box passes the analog signal exactly.

You can try to plug the 720 directly to the cable and scan for channels again and see if it receives the guide again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maul View Post

Setup:

No TV Guide data

I have had my HDRW720/17 for some time now. I used it very well for at least a year on standard cable. Now I am having trouble updating the TV Guide. I have turned off the HDRW720 for a few days with no apparent data population.

I do notice that the HDRW720 uses the IR blaster to change the channels. I am assumming from reading your postings that it is looking for the channel with the guide info. I have a motorola digital cable box.

I have not tried the code you all have mentioned regarding the data collection info from the message link within the TV Guide section. I will try this.

How do I tell it to use a certain channel for delivery of TV Guide info if I already know which one it is. BTW, I have Charter which uses an interactive TV Guide menu already by pushing the Guide button on the remote. There is no channel for this interactive menu, but there is a channel that the provider says is the TV Guide channel. If all else fails I can point to the PBS channel.

I hope someone can tell me what steps to take to change the guide channel.

Thanks in advance.

post #76 of 83 Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Also that TVGuide channel they gave you would work for a device like the SONY HDD500 that has a built in digital tuner with cable card support. This device doesn't need any cable box so it can tune analog and digital channels. It even as the ability to receive the guide from digital channels in the future after the 2009 analog cut off date (as some SONY customer service people have stated.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappend View Post

You realize that you need a analog channel to populate the guide from. If you have upgraded to digital cable and your cable company doesn't carry a analog channel for TVGOS guide data you are out of luck. You will have to downgrade and use analog cable again. The cable box also has to pass the data so a non-cable box setup would be perfered. The information that the TVGOS devices use is completely different the the Guide information that the cable operators send over for their set top boxes. The PBS channel will only work if it is analog and the settop box passes the analog signal exactly.

You can try to plug the 720 directly to the cable and scan for channels again and see if it receives the guide again.

post #77 of 83 Old 08-01-2006, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

If you what to try something different, change your connection from the Settop box to SVIDEO, Composite, component. Then the RF cable from the cable system will go directly to the 720 allowing the analog TVGOS channel to decode.

Look a few posts back and you will see another user's success with this setup using a Scientific Atlanta Box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maul View Post

Setup:

No TV Guide data

post #78 of 83 Old 08-19-2006, 03:31 PM

Anyone talked to Phillips lately to ask about a fix for all these annoying bugs like the TV Guide info suddenly disappearing etc.?
post #79 of 83 Old 08-30-2006, 04:56 PM

I've sent several E-mails to Phillips asking when we can expect an update and they do not have the courtesy to reply. I've never seen such terrible customer service and lousy support for a product. Never will I purchase a Phillips product again...
post #80 of 83 Old 01-07-2007, 01:09 PM

My problem child, loved-hated, Philips HDRW 720 was suffering from empty TV guide syndrome since one month ago. After I found this lead, I tried the zip code 00000 trick to shock the system back to senses, and the TV guide is working again( my system is straight cable to antenna connection, no cable tuner box, comcast Northern California). When I was desperate, I almost wanted to buy another brand of dvd recorder. Further search of Toshiba, Panny, Pioneer, etc, they all have TV guide download problem, some new machines do not use TV guide no more. And according to one Amazon.com review, the
new Philips dvd recorder with hard drive is even worse then this problem child.
So i am going to keep it, and hopefully all it needs is periodic shock treatment.
post #81 of 83 Old 01-09-2007, 12:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
TVGOS problems are almost never caused by the unit. They usually originate from the cable company or OTA station.

The Pioneer models that include it are the exception. Seems they they just didn't implement it right in the unit itself. Because of the bad rep they acquired, they just decided to drop it altogether, rather than try to fix it.
post #82 of 83 Old 02-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Please explain the zip code trick with all the zeros. Does this usually work? Another thing is I have a digital box ( 2-99) are analog though. The higher numbers are digital. Another thing is when the cable box is scanning the channels after setup, it always stops at ch 90 , which is by the way is a pbs digital channel. Does this matter? Ch 9 is the analog pbs channel. I have a Philips hdrw 720/17. A Motorola digital cable box. Thanks for any info.
post #83 of 83 Old 02-08-2007, 04:09 PM

The shock treatment is this
When do the tv guide set up, input zip code 00000.
And finished set up, turned off tv and wait overnight.
If it works . the tv guide would show up with the right channels.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page