Phillips HDRW 720/17 Tv Guide Setup Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 83 Old 10-09-2005, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I just picked up a Phillips HDRW 720/17 for 199 and it seems to be alright. One thing i can't get to work is the Tv guide listing . I am in Southern Cali and using Time Warner cable. I connect the cable to the pvr and left it stand by for 24 hours yet it doesn't work. I don't have any cable box. What am i doing wrong? Any help would be apreciated. Thanks.

ozzzo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 10-21-2005, 08:22 PM

I just purchased one myself up here in Canada and have the same problem. After 3 days and no Guide. There are other threads in this forum that deal with the TV Guide but in other products like TV's from Toshiba.

According to other threads
Your unit must be turned off, (there are 4 updates throughout the day taking upto 3 hours at a time) to recieve an update. Your unit must be able to find your local PBS station.

The TV thread mention a code you could enter in the TV Guide setup screen to bring up a diagnostic menu to get more info.

"Open the TV Guide screen, go to setup, and highlight Change System Settings. While this is highlighted press 753159852"

This doesn't seem to work on my Philips PVR. Does anyone know the code for this system to access the hidden menus?
post #3 of 83 Old 10-25-2005, 11:29 AM

I've recently made the same purchase and I have Direct TV. I have not been able to get the TV Guide to function either. I can't get the blaster eye to work with my Samsung set top box either.

I have a request in to Philips but I have not received a response from them.

Has anyone had any luck yet?
post #4 of 83 Old 10-25-2005, 04:57 PM

I've got the same problem w/ my Directv Samsung SIR-TS160. Would be interested to see if Philips actually responds!
post #5 of 83 Old 10-26-2005, 12:12 PM

No response yet. I will call their support tonight if I get a chance. I know someone else that called and the support was pretty good.

Samsung - SIR-S310W

I'll post my findings.

d
post #6 of 83 Old 10-28-2005, 08:28 AM

I had trouble with downloading the TV Guide at the beginning but after a few days, it suddenly showed up. I am no the Cogeco cable system. I'm not sure how often the update is because some of my channels now have data but others do not. It's a bit frustrating.

I also have another problem. Quite often after turning the unit on and when I push the TV Guide button or the schedule button, nothing happens for a few seconds and then the unit's red record light and the red light around the DVD tray light up and then it shuts down. Turn it back on and everything seems okay.

Anyone experienced this?
post #7 of 83 Old 10-30-2005, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had this lemon for about a year. Paid $500 when it came out. TV Guide will not load through a digital cable box. If you hook the direct cable into the Philips (circumventing the cable box) the guide data will load. this setup is useless however since you cannot record any premium stations, only basic channels 2-99. I now have a seperate issue with this piece of junk. It only now plays DVD R discs. Any DVD I now put in does not load and displays a "No Disc" Message. I've upgraded to the latest firmware, all to no avail. If you have time to return this piece of crap for a refund, do it now while you still have your sanity. Also, their "tech support" is utterly clueless regarding the TV Guide issue, so don't waste your time calling them. Good Luck!!

"To Live Outside The Law You Must Be Honest"
post #8 of 83 Old 10-31-2005, 05:39 PM

bkikkert - Same exact thing happens to me. I figured out that it only happens after the guide trys to update itself with listings. Most of the time after this happens when I turn the unit on and try to access the TV Guide the unit will hang and then reboot. It is very frustrating. I've only had actual listings about 3 times now.

After accessing the TV Guide hidden info screen it says that the listings are downloaded around 2:00pm ( a dumb time to get listings since my wife usually has the tv on at this time) and I am told (on this forum) this takes about 3 hours so I always leave the unit off till around 6 to be on the safe side and when I turn it on and try to access the guide it hangs and reboots. If I leave it off over night and turn it on the unit works find and I can access the guide with no problems (but no new listings)

I hope they fix this soon. I plan on calling support again when I get some time.
post #9 of 83 Old 11-03-2005, 07:13 AM

Does anyone know if the unit gets its TV Guide information from the PBS channel? The manual seems to indicate that but I'm not sure. TV Guide will load through a digital cable box but it does not seem to be consistant. I had the guide for a few days last week and now I have had no listings for three days.

I'll try the 2PM thing and see if it loads for me....
post #10 of 83 Old 11-03-2005, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkikkert View Post

Does anyone know if the unit gets its TV Guide information from the PBS channel? The manual seems to indicate that but I'm not sure. TV Guide will load through a digital cable box but it does not seem to be consistant. I had the guide for a few days last week and now I have had no listings for three days.

I'll try the 2PM thing and see if it loads for me....

IN the states apparently it is the PBS Channel (I am in Canada) and in Toronto I am told it is Global (which is channel 3) but for me it is channel 67.

To find out what channel and download time it is for your listings it is best to enter the hidden guide screens to check.
For our PVR it is a little different than other units. Goto the messages menu in the guide and select the message that displays your guide ID (it is my only message).

Then type 753159852

A grey screen should come up that will allow you to access 30 pages of information. You can't change anything but it does allow you to view a few things.

The first page is most important. Your Host channel will display the channel # that is used to download the TV Guide information. This number is in hex. Mine displayed 0x43 which (when I use the windows calculator :-) tells me it is channel 67 (a french news channel of all things). If it displayes NA it means it has not found a channel yet. Make sure you have not turned off any channels in the guide because the guide will skip this channel when looking for info.

Further down the screen the next thing you want to look for is NEXT DL (or something like it). This will tell you the next time it will atempt to download some information. It seems to download stuff 3 times a day, but through try and error I figured out that my listings seem to get downloaded around the 2:00pm time. Unfortantly this usually doesn't work and my unit unsually crashes.

I talked to philips this morning and they gave me a number for a repair depot. I told them that I didn't think the unit was broken and it was probably a tv guide software issue. They are pretty brainless there. No word on when the next firm ware is do either.

I called up the Repair depot and they were pretty good. They agreed with me that nothing probably was wrong with my unit and it was something with the guide or the info sent to the guide. They have had lots of issues with the TV Guides in general especially with Toshiba.

Hope this helps and if anyone has had any successes please respond!!

I plan to call TV Guide and talk to them before I consider taking my unit in.
post #11 of 83 Old 11-03-2005, 09:24 AM

Does anyone know a phone number or email address I can contact TV Guide to try and get some answers. Of course there are no numbers on there site tv guide on screen com just a useless faq.
post #12 of 83 Old 11-03-2005, 11:57 AM

Thanks Jestermagic......I'll try what you suggest. I also found the people at Philips rather uninformed although they are polite.
post #13 of 83 Old 11-03-2005, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkikkert View Post

Thanks Jestermagic......I'll try what you suggest. I also found the people at Philips rather uninformed although they are polite.

One question for you bkikkert,

In the TV Guide listing screen, you have 3 windows on the left. THe top one shows the current tv channel and at least for me the next 2 windows (or boxes) just have a tv guide graphic that I think if you click on it will take you to the features list or something.

I have seen a few screen captures of other people's tv guide screen and there are actual ads for tv shows displaed in the bottom 2 windows.

Does your tv guide have the ads?

I am wondering maybe this is we it is crashing?
post #14 of 83 Old 11-03-2005, 02:28 PM

I have noticed that it may take 1 - 3 days before it "learns" the TV Guide and then don't expect all your stations to appear either. I had this thing (HDRW720/17) working with my regular digital cable box (including TV GUide), then I recently upgraded to a HDTV cable box. Now I cannot get a TV Guide, been trying for 10 days now. I called Philips tech support and they said they can't get the Guide info from a HDTV cable box and that I would have to wire the cable directly from the wall to the Philips and then I have no digital cable channels!

Anyone got any comments or use with a HDTV cable box? Mine is a Motorola DCT6208, Adelphia Cable localed in Frederick, MD.

thx,
Styx
post #15 of 83 Old 11-03-2005, 02:30 PM

Message back to ozzzo :

Try re-setting back to Factory settings, redo the setup wizard and try again, may take 1 - 3 days.
post #16 of 83 Old 11-03-2005, 03:49 PM

azstyx I am surprised that if your regular digital box worked, I would of assumed your HD would work as well since you are getting all of the same channels before and now some new ones that are HD. I would try checking out Motorola site.

The one thing I do not like (beside the guide not working) is that I thought when I bought the PVR I could use my digital box as a second tuner within the PVR. as an example I should be able to click the tuner button and it would switch from the cable box to the internal tuner.
post #17 of 83 Old 11-04-2005, 08:24 AM

No I don't have the ads. I have determined that the TV guide will not download if you have a scheduled recording going. My next download was at 2:29 this morning and I moved a scheduled recording and sure enough, the listings were there today.

My download channel is 13, a CTV channel. It is on this channel or it switches to this channel when it does the shutdown thing.....intersting...
post #18 of 83 Old 11-04-2005, 09:25 AM

Hmm, your on cogeco right? What postal code do you use? Maybe that is my problem. I want to see if I can get it to download on ch 13. The current postal code I am using is L7N 1B6.

I only have scheduled programing in prime time.

Is your unit still crashing?

What firm ware version are you using?
post #19 of 83 Old 11-04-2005, 05:41 PM

Yes, I don't know why it would not work with a HD cable box since it worked somewhat ( the TV Guide did not pick up all my channels) with the my regular digital cable box. All Philips tech support said was that the HD box was filtering the guide signal....whatever that means.
I'm ready to box it up and take it back to Cosco.

As for the person that reported the "crashing", I experienced this on my first Philips HDRW720 I bought from Amazon. It had to ship it to Philips's repair center in Loiusville, KY 3 tmes!!. They replaced the main dig board and TV guide board and other stuff. But after all that..... it would still crash (picture freezes, lights go out in front, red light around dvd tray comes on, then it shuts down). I contacted Amazon and they let me ship it back and gave me back all my money too after 3 months of frustration with Philips tech support and so-called repairs.

Then I saw the same unit at Cosco for $199 (much less that what I paid for at Amazon). I decided to try another unit since Cosco has a customer walk in return policy for 1 yr.
post #20 of 83 Old 11-09-2005, 07:38 PM
sig

Philips HDRW720/17
CF 3.2
Cable TV connected without a cable box

- Answer to question posed earlier: The two boxes below the live TV window on the TV Guide screen contain TV Guide information prior to obtaining the TV Guide schedule, but once the download completed they contained ads.

- I purchased two units at Costco and I have also noticed the rebooting/crashing problem, (picture freezes, lights go out in front, red light around dvd tray comes on, then it shuts down), on both units. When I got the DVR's I immediately upgraded the firmware to CF 3.2. While setting them up I had them stacked on top of each other and tested them by performing the same tasks on each. I had them both tuned to the same channel and after a period of time they both crashed within a few seconds of each other. My first thought was perhaps there was a small power glitch that I did not notice although it was night and I had lights on. I ended up plugging them into an UPS and the crash did occur again while on the UPS, although this time I only had one unit turned on. This sure appears to be a firmware issue and not a hardware issue. When I contacted Philips they said they were not aware of any known problem that would cause these symptoms. They recommended that I send the unit in for repair if the symptoms continued. I think I will just keep checking for another firmware update.

- Has anyone determined if there is a way to add channels to the TV Guide lineup? I know you can turn TV Guide listed channels off or on, but in my case there are 11 channels, several of which are local access stations, that are not in the guide. I would like to enable them so I can access them with the Channel +/- remote control buttons instead of having to enter the channel digits on the remote.
post #21 of 83 Old 11-11-2005, 07:57 AM

I don't think what is happening is a crash. I think it has something to do with the TV Guide download process. When mine crashes, it is on Channel 13 which is the download channel. I avoid recording on Channel 13 whenever there is a download period scheduled. I have two channels with this network so I schedule on the other one.

You cannot add channels to the TV Guide. It is up to the TV Guide source what channels they provide for your area. I have a channel guide from a different source on my computer and there are several channels missing from it also...
post #22 of 83 Old 11-11-2005, 12:19 PM

Hi Folks,
Anyone has experience/success getting the unit to download program nformation from a sat-cable through a Pansat 2500A. True that most programming is foreign, but is there service similar to TV Guide on T5 (Telstar 5) ?
No intention to hijack the thread, just was not sure where to post this. If an OP sess this, please move to appropriate thread. Thanks
post #23 of 83 Old 11-11-2005, 12:42 PM
sig

Philips HDRW720/17
Version CF 3.2
Cable TV connected without a cable box

bkikkert, I tend to agree that something in regards to TV Guide On Screen (TVGOS) causes the unit to freeze and turn off from time to time. In my area the TVGOS information appears to be available from the major network stations. From looking at the diagnostic screens, one of my units is getting data on channel 4 (FOX) and the other is using channel 8 (ABC). Last night it was recording on channel 11 and approximately 1-minute prior to the end of the show I noticed DVD drive light up red and it turned off. After this crash it always defaults the tuner to the lowest channel, 2. Looking at the TVGOS, one days worth of scheduling was now showing no listings and two of my scheduled shows were no longer in the schedule list.

I am not sure there is much to do other than hope the next firmware revision resolves this issue.
post #24 of 83 Old 11-12-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig View Post

Philips HDRW720/17

- Has anyone determined if there is a way to add channels to the TV Guide lineup? I know you can turn TV Guide listed channels off or on, but in my case there are 11 channels, several of which are local access stations, that are not in the guide. I would like to enable them so I can access them with the Channel +/- remote control buttons instead of having to enter the channel digits on the remote.

I just did this by assigning local access channel numbers to channels listed by TVG, but which aren't received, such as some digital channels to which I don't subscribe. The local access channels can now be browsed with the channel + button.

Wobbly
post #25 of 83 Old 11-12-2005, 07:41 PM

I bought my Philips unit about 18 months ago. I have updated the firmware every couple of months and its currently at 3.2

The TV guide has been working OK all this time except for about 3 power failures when i have to spend 30 minutes setting up the channel lists in the correct order.

About 30 days ago the TV guide stopped working. The local Comcast cable system had the guide downloads on the MSNBC channel (60) but for some reason the downloads stopped on channel 60. All of a sudden the PVR listings were empty and it crashed every day. When i went to the TV guide screen to check if i got the download it would crash the unit within 5 minutes. It ran ok just watching TV or any movie on the hard drive but as soon as i went into the TV guide it would crash. it crashed about 20 times while i was trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

After about 15 days of no listings and it crashing every 5 minutes i read about the trick to enter the string of numbers and found out that the host channel was now set to the PBS channel 9. So i went through the setup guide again and entered the 00000 zip code to reset the guide which allowed me to go to the channel scan add & delete option and i deleted channel 9 from the main channel list (not the TV guide list but in the main system channel list). I then re-entered the guided setup and put in my correct zip code (made sure channel 9 was still deleted) and shut the system down for the night. The next morning i had guide data for the first time in 15 days. I went into the debug screen and it now said the host channel is ABC channel 7.

It has worked perfect for 2 weeks now.

So heres what i think. the PVR locked into the wrong host channel (channel 9) when the MSNBC channel 60 stopped sending the guide. Channel 9 was downloading junk and crashing my unit. When i locked out channel 9 it found a second channel download on channel 7 and has worked perfect since.

I hope this helps someone else fix their problems downloading the TV guide in their area.
post #26 of 83 Old 11-13-2005, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question for you Pad: Is your Philips connected via cablebox? If so, what model box? Is it digital service you have? The problem I have been having for over a year is I cannot get Guide data through my Cablevision digital boxes. The guide listings load just fine when connected directly through the cable line. This setup is not optimal as it does not allow me access to all the premium channels. I have the latest firmware (3.2) installed and have tried 3 different Explorer cable boxes (4200, HD4200, HD8300). When using the direct cable input, the host channel was showing up as the local CBS affiliate (2). When connected to the cable box, it displays 0x00 as the host channel. It appears the unit cannot locate a channel to retrieve programing downloads from as it flips my cablebox's channels for days on end in a fruitless search for data. I've tried keeping the box locked on channel 2 and putting the Philips in standby in the hope it will eventually download from this channel, but it doesn't work. Why will no one (Philips, Cablevision, TV Guide On Screen) come clean and admit that certain cable providers are stripping the guide data from their digital boxes? Calling any of these company's and trying to get any info regarding this topic is like asking a Best Buy "Shopping Assistant" to show you where the Chamber Music section is. ??????????????

Tom

"To Live Outside The Law You Must Be Honest"
post #27 of 83 Old 11-13-2005, 11:29 AM

I have the Philips PVR connected directly to basic cable without a cable box.
post #28 of 83 Old 11-13-2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad77 View Post

After about 15 days of no listings and it crashing every 5 minutes i read about the trick to enter the string of numbers and found out that the host channel was now set to the PBS channel 9. So i went through the setup guide again and entered the 00000 zip code to reset the guide which allowed me to go to the channel scan add & delete option and i deleted channel 9 from the main channel list (not the TV guide list but in the main system channel list). I then re-entered the guided setup and put in my correct zip code (made sure channel 9 was still deleted) and shut the system down for the night. The next morning i had guide data for the first time in 15 days. I went into the debug screen and it now said the host channel is ABC channel 7.

How is the main channel list accessed?
Thanks
post #29 of 83 Old 11-14-2005, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post

How is the main channel list accessed?
Thanks

A clarification: I have TVG and it's working except for a few channels. I thought that I would redo the auto search for channels. After resetting the zip to '00000' in the TVG set-up, the main menu has only the time setting highlighted under the installation item. In other words, I can't start from scratch and do the auto and manual channel search/addition.
post #30 of 83 Old 11-15-2005, 06:01 AM

On the Philips PVR to reset everything to the factory setting you do the following (I hope i remember this correctly) ...

1) Unplug the unit from the power
2) Wait 30 seconds
3) Hold in the "power on" button while you plug the power cord back in. Keep holding the power button while the unit is finished booting (about 30 to 45 seconds i think)
4) release the power button.

The above trick erases all the guide data and starts the unit in the "first run mode" where it asks you to scan for channels.

After scanning the channels go to the main menu and you can now manually add or delete any channel. As soon as you put the unit in standby mode and it gets its first TVG download you will lose the "Add & Delete menu items".

Just to make sure we are talking about the "main setup" screen, here is how to access it...

1) While you are watching any TV channel press the "System" button.
2) Select setup
3) Select installation
4) Now you should be at the "Add & Delete" menu items screen.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page