Any experience with pocket PVRs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-11-2005, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any experience with pocket PVRs?

Echostar announced three pvrs/players today, while Archos has a couple and RCA has the Lyra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-18-2005, 02:32 PM

What is a pocket PVR? do you mean Pocket Video Player? like the Creative Zen vision i think it is called? and nobody can forget the ipod video:P
post #3 of 8 Old 12-06-2005, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolataX
What is a pocket PVR?
I have read them called a Mobile Video Recorder. :D

Basically, a PVR that comes with its own LCD screen, is battery powered, and can almost fit into your pocket.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-07-2005, 05:22 AM

Hi,
I am interested in one of these and have been looking to see if anyone has tried them. The one that caught my eye was MPM 202 - at computergeeks . It has a 60 gig hd and built in screen. The tuner section is a docking/charging cradle. Currently it is on Ebay for 239. Has anyone here bought one for review. It looks like a serious Xmas present.

thanx
post #5 of 8 Old 01-25-2006, 08:25 AM

I just purchased the MPM 201 a few weeks ago over at NewEgg.

Before I mention the cons I would like to mention that I really like it and here's why. It replaces the laptop I used to take on travel with me. It plugs into my van for movie playback on the LCD screens for the kids. It provides the wife and I many hours of entertainment with MP3 playback, Movies, and recorded TV. The docking station with remote is one sweet feature and the dock now travels with us at all times. It allows me to transfer my photos from my digital camera to the HD in little time then view them whenever we want. The extra batteries were cheap ($5.00 each) It does not care about encryption, regions, etc., you can plug any video and audio souce into it and record.

Now the cons.
I took some time to organize my MP3's the way I wanted because the MPM does not support play lists. Not a big deal, I just had to organize in folders.
DivX only... I have my DVD's backed up in VOB format, no compression. In order to use the MPM I have to convert movies to DivX which takes approximately 3 hours to do per movie. I found a software package ($$) to do this which makes life so much easier. Each movie compressed to around 900mb-1gb seems to work well since it's just for portable playback or playback on a smaller screen (36" max).
The interface is very basic. Much like the old windows file manager which can be confusing at times when you have to copy or rename files with the MPM.
There is no support for the MPM. Evidently the parent company NHJ Japan filed for bankruptcy last year and that may be why the MPM is selling so cheap now. There is no firware to find, no support to be found. There is a clone of the MPM called the Pavio (search google) but I have not found any firware there either. So you will be stuck with the interface and features unless someone crafty enough finds a way to modify the original firware files.

Anyone interested can join the Yahoo group nhj_mpm_201_202 and there are discussions about the 201 and 202 along with some helpful information on extra batteries, links, etc..
Although it has flaws it is actually a very useful piece of equipment for me and my family, and for the price compared to the iPod Video, Zen, or Archos it has features that would be hard to beat.
Good luck.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Go with the Cown A2. I picked it up a few weeks ago and i love it. It supports more codecs than the archos av500 and cowon(aka iaudio) is known for their great sounding mp3 players. It can also record from a direct source like the archos.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-26-2006, 08:53 AM

It's really amazing how similar alot of these devices are.
I just researched the Cowon A2 and really liked the formats supported but could not see spending the extra $200+ just on that.

Can you give an example of the navigation required when using the Cowon A2? I have seen the promotional material but there is only one pic of the menu and no others of the file system etc...
What about the HD size is it a standard 2.5" drive?

I may take another look at the Cowon in a few months after I have had more time to play with my MPM.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

The a2 uses drag n drop folder system. Really simple to set up. It supports the most formats out of the big 3 which are the archos av5xx and the creative vision. The menu is icon based. Here is a nice long detailed review. Also there has even been another firmware update since that review. Thats why i say go with cowon as they always updating and improving things.

http://dapreview.net/content.php?review.239
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page