Multiple problems with DCT-6412 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-13-2005, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had a Motorola DCT-6412 for about 2 months and have a number of problems that I'd like to see if other people are experiencing:

1. Series recordings set for a HDTV channel (e.g., local NBC) are changed to the analog channel in the series recording. I have it set to "just this channel" but this has happened multiple times with all the series recordings on HDTV channels.

2. In the last few days, several recordings were shifed one hour later which either missed the show entirely (or missed part of a movie).

3. There have been a few random recordings that have been saved?

4. If the power is cycled (unplug the box), all the program guide information is lost and it takes several days to recover from local cable company.

5. Our local cable company only provides 4 days of program guide (is this normal or can the DCT-6412 handle more than 4 days)?

The S/W version listed is 71.44-1203 and the firmware version is 09.19. Not sure if those are the current versions for the DCT-6412. Any help would be appreciated as my local cable company doesn't seem too knowledgable about these boxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-13-2005, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

I got a reply from Motorola and from the director of telecommunications for the local cable company. Apparently problems #1 through #4 are caused by the Guideworks software (their web site has no information on it).

Problem #5 is apparently a limit on the DCT-6412 (according to Motorola) who told the local cable company director that the box can only handle 4 days of program guide information since they have so many channels. Some how the lowly Tivo boxes with 32 MB of memory can hold two weeks of program guide information (even when they are rebooted) but the Motorola box with 128 MB of memory (I think that is correct) and a 120 GB hard drive just can't handle more than 4 days worth.

Having used a Tivo for almost four years before this box, I know it can be done which is what makes the DCT-6412 so frustrating. Going from a good user interface (Tivo) to the Motorola (with so many bad menus, etc.) and its lack of reliable operation is making me think of going back to DirecTV with the HR10-250 and a OTA antenna for local HDTV.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-18-2005, 01:47 PM

My 6412 has at least 2 weeks of listings. Maybe it's just your cable company. I have Comcast here in NH.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page