Why BUY a Comcast DVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-14-2005, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I'm confused. :confused:
I see that Best Buy and other places are selling Comcast DVR Cable 6412 III boxes, typically at around $800. I have even seen them on eBay for about $350-450.
My question is this: Why are people buying these things when you can rent them for $5 per month from Comcast? If you figure the math, it would take between 70-160 months of renting to end up equal to paying for the box. :eek: With a paltry 120GB hdd, I can't imagine that I'd be satisfied in 6-13 years with this unit, since by then hdd will likely be replaced with all downloads onto something entirely different.
Can someone please explain this phenomena to me? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-15-2005, 08:56 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969
I'm confused. :confused:
I see that Best Buy and other places are selling Comcast DVR Cable 6412 III boxes, typically at around $800. I have even seen them on eBay for about $350-450.
You've seen Best Buy selling a Comcast Motorola DVR? That must be something new for Comcast as you could only rent these before and they were not for sale to the public (at least not in the USA). If you wanted one, you had to rent it from your cable company. If it's true and legit, it's still not worth buying your own unless you want to try to hack it to increase disk space. Renting is better cause if it breaks, you just turn it in for a new one at no charge.

The ones you see on EBay will not work with your cable company as they've been stolen from other cable companies around the country and sold as "my tenant left it when he moved out" or "i moved and i switched to DirecTV and this unit only works with cable" and other creative explanations of how they gained possesion of it. I don't believe any cable company in the USA would be willing to activate a DVR that you supply or is otherwise not supplied by them directly, if it can even be done at all.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #3 of 3 Old 10-15-2005, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 123
That's exactly what I thought until I see them offered new on Ebay, boxed, sealed, and all. Along with the fact that BB sells them, that's what led to my query. It seems you couldn't really hack/upgrade/whatever them too much because of the backfeed to Comcast, and I know they get quite pissed off if anyone even attempts to mess with "their" boxes in any way. They even got mad at me for accessing the service menu...probably because I found out what was wrong with my box and made their tech team sound like fools....which, for the most part, they are from my experiences. Sorry if that sounds rude, but that's just what I've seen. Example: the installer was attempting to use RF connections in my 7.1 surround, LCD PJ setup. Sorry, installer guy, but that's just not going to cut it...this isn't 1974. I kicked him out of my house and told him that I'd do the rest.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page