SA 8000HD - Semi-Official Chat - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-18-2005, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just got one of these through Comcast, and so far I LOVE it!!! Don't even have my HDTV yet (won it, its on the way) but get great picture at 480i from HD stations on my Toshiba 32" SD TV. DVR was tested this morning, and appears to work fine. Any other experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-18-2005, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For a DVR it is ok. I think it is rather slow tracking from SDTV to HDTV. Also the HD audio will take a really long time to come one sometimes when changing channels. Definately it is not friendly to channel surfers (my wife). This DVR is much slower than the directv or dish network models, maybe its just the processor and the 8300HD is better, but I have not upgraded to that model yet.

Overall the features that I wish it had was side by side PIP. So on a 16x9 set it can do channel X on the left and channel Y on the right, stretching it to full screen. Otherwise its a pretty good receiver.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-21-2005, 09:42 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre
Just got one of these through Comcast, and so far I LOVE it!!! Don't even have my HDTV yet (won it, its on the way) but get great picture at 480i from HD stations on my Toshiba 32" SD TV. DVR was tested this morning, and appears to work fine. Any other experiences?
I didn't think anyone was still giving out the old SA8000HD. It's pretty much been replaced by the newer/better 8300HD. If you can switch to one of these you'll be better off.

Which software does Comcast use for their DVRs?

I presume you're currently using S-Video or Composite, but once you get an HD TV you'll have to put the DVR into "HD mode" which will disable these connections and you'll be forced to use only Component for everything. SD looks terrible over Component on my 8000HD, but when i put it in SD mode and connect S-Video the SD picture is excellent. Unfortunately you cannot connect both outputs simultaneously on the 8000HD, but with the 8300HD all the outputs are active so you can connect both outputs and optimize the settings for each separately.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page