[TIP] 8300HD Users - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-18-2005, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is just a tip for those of you unlucky enough to have an SA 8300HD. It may be (actually, it probably is) well-known already but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway just in case.

The SD channels that come out of this box are terrible. To SIGNIFICANTLY improve them all you need to do is split your cable before the box and run one straight into your TV. Of course now you will need to watch SD on the regular cable input.

You should notice a huge improvement in quality of the picture. For me it was night and day, I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-21-2005, 04:10 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomax182
This is just a tip for those of you unlucky enough to have an SA 8300HD. It may be (actually, it probably is) well-known already but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway just in case.

The SD channels that come out of this box are terrible. To SIGNIFICANTLY improve them all you need to do is split your cable before the box and run one straight into your TV. Of course now you will need to watch SD on the regular cable input.

You should notice a huge improvement in quality of the picture. For me it was night and day, I couldn't believe it.
That doesn't always improve picture quality - it depends on the signal quality and the brand/model of TV you have.

SD on my neighbor's 8300HD connected with Component look fair to poor depending on the channel, so for the the heck of it i connected an S-Video cable to the TV and the same channel looks great on this input. So now he just switches the TV to the S-Video input to watch SD, then switches to the Component input to watch HD. The added benefit of using separate inputs for HD and SD is that you can optimize the TV's settings for each input instead of having to suffer through SD programs using the Component inputs HD settings. The two broadcast formats usually require radically different settings so it's better to keep them separate. This is what i do. I also have cable split directly to the TV's RF input but the PQ through the DVR's S-Video connection is actually better than RF into the TV's tuner.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page