Replay vs Tivo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-19-2005, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, i tried to find something already posted about this, but theres just so much in this forum that I just thought it was better to ask the question and get told by 30 people that it had been discussed 1000 times already!

I have a Panasonic Reply 2000 series with a lifetime subscription. The disk is starting to hang up occasionally and after about 5/6 years I guess it's time to put it to sleep.

First, I'm wondering if the hard disk can be replaced and if so, by me or will Panasonic still service them? Or if someone with a little more than minimal computer savy would be required to do it. If the hard disk IS replaced will it affect the lifetime subscription? ( ie. is the "secret code" on the disk and not transferable etc?)

Additionally, I'd be interested in getting some input from people who had changed disks, so that I could guage if my limited computer experience would suffice to change the disk myself. Are there instructions somewhere, downloadable? I can't imagine Panasonic would be interested in telling people how to change hard drives in old discontinued Replay's at this stage of their relationship :-)

Also, I'm interested in getting another PVR anyway but I'm wondering if someone can do a comparison between the new Replay PVRs and Tivo's. Can someone give the good and bad features on each? I've heard that some of the new Replays can communicate with each other and that they have/had(?) a skip commercial freature. ( is it discontinued?) But I've also heard that the Tivo has a more versitile/flexable system of picking and choosing shows to program. Can anyone clarify the differences between the two units? If not .....besides the Mfg's websites .... is there anyplace else besides here, that this kind of info would be easier accessed?

Thanks
Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-20-2005, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Visit http://www.replaytvupgrade.com

And, if you don't feel like doing the drive upgrade steps yourself, you can buy ready to go disks from the likes of http://www.replaytvparts.com/

TheDreamer

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
post #3 of 6 Old 10-20-2005, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dreamer, for a little over a $100.00 I'd rather get it already programed than trying to do it myself.

How about the comparison of the TIVO and the new Reply devices? Has anyone got any input on that? If not someone here can anyone suggest where I COULD find it?

Thanks

Gene
post #4 of 6 Old 10-24-2005, 02:52 PM

Well im not gonna touch the Tivo / Replay who's better thing but i have had a serious one Tivo for about 5yrs? and a Series 2 for about a year and it began doing the Hanging on video thing as well, I did a little research and found a web site called weaknees they specialize in selling and replacing hard drives in Tivo, Replay & MIcr** Ultimate boxes. http://www.weaknees.com/replaytv.php
It wasn't to hard! although im not to sure about the Replay boxes? but if you not comfortable with the process they have a great service that will do the replacement for you.
As far as the lifetime service, if the Replay boxes work like the Tivos the "CODE" will be on a chip on the motherboard and will not be affected by the hard drive swap!
At least thats how it was on my Tivo so it didn't affect my lifetime service!
There are so many articles about both Tivos & Replays that i really can't give you info on where to look but i will tell you about my two Tivo's series one & 2 and you can compare them to you Replay.
I have to Tivos, and old Series one the one i replacet the hard drive in (Phillips) and a new Series 2 (Tivo branded)
The Series 2 is the most likely Tivo you would encounter in a store.
Box to Box communications Series 1 no / series 2 yes
Net work transfer of shows to pc or other tivo box in your net work S-1 no / S-2 yes
Internet program data download S-1 no (with out modification) S-2 yes
Scheduling of programs to record from the internet S-1 no / S-2 YES
Season pass program S-1 yes / S-2 Yes
Live Tv pause Yes on both
those are the very basics of the boxes although i haven't had a lot of experience with Replays from what i have seen they seem to work in a similar fashion.
hope this helps a little
post #5 of 6 Old 10-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

If you have a replay and like it, I would recommend buying a new replay. The Tivo interface has a lot of features to make it easier at the cost of being more streamlined. A new replay will not have commercial advance, but you can hit the right arrow key to skip the current set of commercials. (but it doesn't always work!)
post #6 of 6 Old 10-24-2005, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, now I see why I wasn't getting any response to my questions.
I'm not looking for someone to compare Tivo to Replay for me. All I wanted to know is if someone could list the important features of each. You've done that on the Tivo and thanks for that. I hope now, that someone who has a new Reply, can do the same. I'm not looking for an opinion of which is best, just a list of the features that people think are important and then hopefully I'll have a way to compare which items I think are more important to me.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page