SA8300 HD--Does it do these? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2005, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have just moved and our new cable company (Adelphia) offers the SA8300HD as a high-definition PVR. In the past we used Tivo.

There are 3 issues that I either can't figure out or that are not available:

First, if I am recording a program and want to start viewing it from the start, I cannot. The box always begins playing at the current point in the program.

Can the SA8300HD start playing a program it is currently recording at the beginning rather than at the current point?

Second, if I am watching a program currently being recorded and have given instructions to record the next show, the box begins showing the second program when it comes on rather than record it while I continue to watch the first program. I know I can switch back to the recorded show.

Can I continue to watch a recorded show while a new show is recorded or will the box automatically switch to the second show?

Third, In searching by name, I can select one letter and then must scroll through the list to find the program I wish to select.

Can I somehow select more than one letter in the name of a program so that the possibilities are reduced before I have to scroll?

Thanks

Bil;l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2005, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
The answers to these questions (and much more) can be found in the existing SciAtl DVR thread(s):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=581843

But ... to sum up ...

First ... there's two different interfaces / software for these boxes. Scientific Atlanta SARA and Pioneer Passport. It always helps to know what software you're dealing with as they are quite different ...

It sounds like you're running SARA so ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogsett
Can the SA8300HD start playing a program it is currently recording at the beginning rather than at the current point?
Not with the firmware that is currently most widely deployed (SARA 1.87.xx.x). Annoying isn't it? However ... the SARA 1.88.xx.x software supposedly adds a 'Play From Beginning' option for content as it's being recorded. So then the question becomes ... "when will your cable operator deploy the 1.88.xx.x software"? That ... I don't know.

Personally I usually Stop (and Save) the current show ... start a new recording by hitting the 'Record' button ... pause the new recording ... then watch the saved portion by selecting it from the list ... then watch the second part (from the pause point). This also fixes the 'drop to live bug' mentioned below.

Other people have other work-arounds.
Quote:
Can I continue to watch a recorded show while a new show is recorded or will the box automatically switch to the second show?
That's the 'drop to live bug'. Annoying isn't it? Again ... supposed to be fixed in 1.88.xx.x. Note that recordings you start manually (by hitting the 'record' button) don't exhibit this behavior ... they don't 'drop to live' when the recording ends.

Again, because of these two shortcomings ... I usually do the Stop and Save / Record / Pause / Watch Part 1 / Watch Part 2 workaround ...
Quote:
Can I somehow select more than one letter in the name of a program so that the possibilities are reduced before I have to scroll?
No ... and I don't think any improvements in search have been mentioned by the people who have 1.88.xx.x.

See the thread above (which contains links to other threads) for a whole lot more info.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:58 PM

Liked: 14
I have read other peoples posts on this board about the problems you are having, but have never had the same problem. the SA8300HD that I have is running the Passport software, FYI. Even if the program is still recording, which happens alot, since bedtime for the kids is 8:00, we usually starting watching Alias at around 8:30, for instance, I just go into the "List" of recorded shows, select the currently recording 'Alias,' and press "Play," and it play from the beginning.

I also just learned on the "tips and tricks" thread for this box that you can jump forward or back in a recording fifteen minutes at a time by pressing the FF or REW button, and then the < or > button up above by the "select" button.

As far as the second problem, I've never experienced that. Sorry.

As far as the third problem, no, I don't think you can further sort the list by choosing a second letter. But remember that you can use the up button to go backwards through the list. So if you are looking for, say Star Trek in the S list, press the up botton, to go up through the list from Sw...., and you'll get to "Star" much more quickly than going down from Sa.......

- msc

I just took my VT60 out of the box and started watching it. Is that ok?