DCT-6412 Phase III My Review!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-22-2005, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I've had my Aquos display for quite some time now. Initially, I tried the earlier version of the 6412 with DVI and frankly I thought it was terrible. HD was soft around the edges and SD was downright unwatchable. So for quite some time I used the standard Motorola Hi-Def box offered by Comcast. After reading this forum I figured I'd give the new Phase III unit a spin. So far it's great! HD is really crisp and nice, and SD is much improved. The hard drive is nice and quiet also. The old unit sounded like a bucket of bolts. The recording capabilities literally blow away my Replay TV unit. The only thing I preferred after much A/B viewing was component connections over HDMI, but that's just a matter of taste. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-24-2005, 09:05 AM

I have to agree with both your assessment of the capabilities VS the replay AND the weird thing about not using the digital output.

It kind of sucks, but the HDMI connection picture is really so much worse than just a component connection. Saved me $150, but still would have preferred the one thin cable and the supposed advanced connection.

Ahh well, do love the box. OH with the small exception of the interesting clunking noise it started the other night and now I have to go get it replaced cause I think the hard drive bit the dust taking all my recorded shows with it! But otherwise.... lol...

Mtxo

P.S. I do love my replay too. I took it upstairs and now use it on my direct connection. Still definitely has it's use.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-24-2005, 01:59 PM

Strange, I had the opposite preference. HDMI was better than component for me. Component was really blurry. HDMI provided a sharper picture. What did you not like about hdmi?
post #4 of 13 Old 10-24-2005, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxo
It kind of sucks, but the HDMI connection picture is really so much worse than just a component connection. Saved me $150, but still would have preferred the one thin cable and the supposed advanced connection.
I got an HDMI cable from www.monoprice.com for under $10 and I think it works great. So don't get the Monster ones from Best Buy!
post #5 of 13 Old 10-24-2005, 03:18 PM

Quote:
It kind of sucks, but the HDMI connection picture is really so much worse than just a component connection.
Finally i thought i was crazy!
When i got my DishN*** #811 box and hooked up the HDMI it was much worse than the component out, I thought i was doing something wrong? i called dish and they basically said i was crazy and that the HDMI would always be so much better than component!
Now i know im not the only one to see this effect on some High Def boxes Even if it's not same brand.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-24-2005, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HDMI looks great!!!, your nuts saying component was better, cheesy cable you must have, biggest problem i have is this phase 3 will NOT stay on dolby digital, keeps on switching back to pulse modulated when you go back to a SD channel
As said in other threads it does not play back in 5 to 1 with recorded material.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-24-2005, 07:22 PM

Crazy? I and my 3 psychologists think not - as well as my other 2 personalities assure me.

I know it's weird, and maybe it was only on SD channels, but it just seemed too sharp, not in the good way. It's hard to describe because I'm not exactly an expert in the terminology.

I have a Samsung 50 inch DLP, and the DCT6412. I bought the cables from cablewarehouse which cost much less than the Monster one I had bought, but still the same quality. Just seemed better through component.

I may have to try again because I had to swap out my DCT6412 for another after the hard drive started clunking.

Mtxo
post #8 of 13 Old 10-25-2005, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry but I have the TOL Monster cables in both HDMI and component. No cheesy cables here. Although the HDMI signal is very sharp, I find the color to be flatter and more washed out. With the component, the signal seems more saturated and vibrant. Granted I could play with the color adjustments on the Aquos, but I prefer using the HDMI as a connection for my Denon Universal player. Just my personal preference.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-25-2005, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I know it's weird, and maybe it was only on SD channels, but it just seemed too sharp, not in the good way. It's hard to describe because I'm not exactly an expert in the terminology.

I have a Samsung 50 inch DLP

Mtxo
Thats exactly what I saw???!! the Picture seemed to sharp and also not in the good way?? Im wondering if it's something to do with the DLP? I have a Panasonic DLP 50in TV do they use very similar "light engines"? HMMMMMMM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debussyj
Although the HDMI signal is very sharp, I find the color to be flatter and more washed out. With the component, the signal seems more saturated and vibrant.
That's the other result i had the colors seemed almost flat and washed out and i used a VERY EXPENSIVE monster cable so i don't think that is it?
Im using the componet out now and i like it so much better!
Im not familiar with the Aquos display? im assuming it's not a DLP tv? LCD?
post #10 of 13 Old 10-25-2005, 12:15 PM

I am running component cables to my Sony HDTV and was thinking about upgrading to the HDMI cable.. I guess i think about that some more.. I did notice though that the SD picture *seems* to look better set to 480p.. (power off -> quickly push menu..) But i cant tell which looks better on the HD side, i have toggled between 720P and 1080I and they seem to look about the same.. Anyone messed with these settings with any success?

Dr.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-26-2005, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_EluSivE
I am running component cables to my Sony HDTV and was thinking about upgrading to the HDMI cable.. I guess i think about that some more.. I did notice though that the SD picture *seems* to look better set to 480p.. (power off -> quickly push menu..) But i cant tell which looks better on the HD side, i have toggled between 720P and 1080I and they seem to look about the same.. Anyone messed with these settings with any success?

Dr.
When SD is set to 480p, doesn't it stretch the image to fit 16:9? I think it did that for mine and I don't like the stretch look (makes people look fat).
post #12 of 13 Old 10-26-2005, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73
When SD is set to 480p, doesn't it stretch the image to fit 16:9? I think it did that for mine and I don't like the stretch look (makes people look fat).
No it's not your TV that's just the way we Americans are getting :D :D
Seriously on my Panny i have a toggle on the remote that will do as you describe but it will also do something called Justify which doesn't seem to fatten the people as much.
Maybe you have a similar setting?
post #13 of 13 Old 10-27-2005, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73
Nope, I am actually quite Impressed with the way my TV handles it. For SD and 4:3 sources i prefer the "wide zoom" setting on my sony, and it will do it automatically when watching SD stuff, but when i flip to a HiDef channel it automatically reverts to normal and fills up the screen.. I was impressed. I figured i would have to mess with the "screen" button on the remote all the time...

Bad to the box though, i think things look a little better on 480P mode.

Dr.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page