Has anyone used PVRs from both DISH & DIRECTV ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-02-2005, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm new to HDTV and this forum ... and have a problem. I live way out in the sticks and get no OTA so must rely on either Dish or Directv. I recently got a new HDTV and need to decide to go with an HD PVR from either Dish or Directv.

Has anyone used the HD PVRs from BOTH Dish and Directv? And if so, could you please offer a comparison or an opinion which one I should get ?

Thank you so much for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-03-2005, 02:37 PM

I've used multiple standard definition PVR's for both DirecTV and Dish and was very happy with all of them. Recently I convinced my parents to switch to Satellite. They signed up with DishNetork and got their HD PVR model 942. I tried to show them how to use the PVR features and found the user interface on that reciever is horribly unintuitive compared to other PVR's I've used.

I can't really give you a comparison to other satellite HD PVR's but I can say that I was not at all happy with the DISH 942 in the limited time I used it.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I am a Dish user and get my local HD OTA. I do not think at this time Dish or Direct provide HD locals, their locals are SD. I know they will at some point, just not yet. Someone correct on this if I am wrong. As far as Dish DVR's they are garbage, full of bugs. When they provide a firmware update they seem only to fix one problem and introduce 3 new problems. Not sure if I can give a link here but there is another forum, DBStalks that has all kinds of information on the Dish and Direct DVR's. If it's OK to post a link maybe someone can or let me know it's OK and I will post the link.

Steve

P.S. The Dish standard definition DVR's do work almost flawless, HD is another story.

Are you looking for a mentor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-15-2005, 03:13 PM

Liked: 12
I have D* SD and HD TiVo-based DVRs and I can recommend them. While not perfect (what is?), they work well. The HD version has older revisions of the TiVo software, so no folders for organization, and it seems to operate a little slower than its SD cousin, but overall, the TiVo interface is intuitive and pleasant to use. Hurry though, as D* is introducing a new, non-TiVo SD DVR that's hitting the stores now with an HD version to follow next year.

The previous poster is correct about locals - they are only OTA at the moment. However, new birds are being launched and HD locals are expected in 2006.

There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark
post #5 of 7 Old 11-16-2005, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

thank you all for your replies.
do you have any feelings about buying a receiver from eBay vs. directly from D* or E* ?
thanks, again.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have personally purchased lots of stuff from Ebay (including my current 921). I would say just make sure the person has lots of + feedbacks and few (if any) - feedbacks. Make sure you ask if the card has a zero balance (no movies have been charged to the card) and that it is 100% functional and can be registered with D* or E*.

Are you looking for a mentor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-17-2005, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Sundance.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page