New to Motorola PVR (DCT-6412), recording question... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-14-2005, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I finally upgraded my comcast service with HD, and got the Motorola DCT-6412. I was a TiVo user before, so this interface is thoroughly frustrating. I am curious about dual recordings. From what I understand, it has the dual tuners, and so it can record two shows at once right?

Well, I started a recoding (repeating-all episodes) on one channel, Twilight Zone on INHD2, then moved to How I Met Your Mother which was on at the same time, and started another repeating recording there. There was the three red dots icon on Twilight Zone, and it appeared in the My DVR screen, but How I Met Your Mother had two red dots and a red circle with a line through it on top, and it didn't record.

So what did I do wrong? Are there any tips anyone can provide to a former TiVo user?

Thank you!
-Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-15-2005, 11:22 AM

I'm in the same boat as you, but with Adelphia instead of Comcast (but a Moto 6412 box). Yes, you can record two programs at the same time. The main difference I've noticed vs Tivo is that you can't access both tuners selectively (so you can't, for example, skip back 30 minute on either tuner). Think of it as a "background" tuner that can record a second program.

I noticed a few quirks like the one you mentioned above as well. At one point I had it recording two programs, but I stopped the first one. It wouldn't let me change the channel, even though I'd presumably "freed up" the first tuner.

Take my comments with a grain of salt, though, because I'm still trying to figure it all out myself, and I may just not have noticed some features yet.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-15-2005, 11:57 AM

Actually I just figured out that you can switch between tuners using the "swap" button down at the bottom of the remote in the PiP area. It will let you roll back either tuner. So really the functionality seems to be more or less identical to Tivo.

But it's faster/more responsive (like when you slap the REC button and it's instantly done), and also has the nice side benefit that the composite jack output is 4:3 and 480i, so it's perfect for me. (I use a normal, older TV during the day, and a 16:9 projector at night. The HD Tivo made me switch resolutions to accomodate this.)
post #4 of 4 Old 11-16-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownPat
Actually I just figured out that you can switch between tuners using the "swap" button down at the bottom of the remote in the PiP area. It will let you roll back either tuner. So really the functionality seems to be more or less identical to Tivo.

But it's faster/more responsive (like when you slap the REC button and it's instantly done), and also has the nice side benefit that the composite jack output is 4:3 and 480i, so it's perfect for me. (I use a normal, older TV during the day, and a 16:9 projector at night. The HD Tivo made me switch resolutions to accomodate this.)
I was wondering if you have Pioneer Echo as the EPG (programming guide) on your DCT-6412? Do you have Comcast or another provider?
I wasn't sure if the "swap" button works with Comcast's EPG, which uses Guideworks as an EPG (formerly TV Guide).
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page