DirectTV HD DVR...buy now or wait ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-16-2005, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question...purchased a second HDTV set for the kids and wife, since HDTV is not crucial to them, do I buy another DirectTV HD DVR now for $ 499.00 or do I wait for the next latetess and greatess HD DVR ?

Wondering if anyone knows what is coming down the road...

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-18-2005, 01:38 PM

The h10-250 can be had for less if you are willing to negotiate with Directv. There are forums that specialize in discussions regarding to TiVo and Directv.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

what forums would that be please?
post #4 of 12 Old 11-29-2005, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheeler
what forums would that be please?
Look here: HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
post #5 of 12 Old 12-05-2005, 07:47 PM

I don't think there is a place yet to disuss DTV's new HD DVR since they no longer use TIVO (other than maybe the forum we are in right now)? Maybe AVS should start a new forum or rename this forum to make it more inclusive.

They have been thrown off the TIVO forum: this quote from the TIVO Forum:

Quote:
It’s been decided that since this is a TiVo forum, discussion of DVR’s will be limited to models running TiVo software. Discussion of the new Directv DVR should be done on boards such as avsforum and dbstalk. Current threads on these models will soon be closed and referred to those sites.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-05-2005, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davivers
I don't think there is a place yet to disuss DTV's new HD DVR since they no longer use TIVO (other than maybe the forum we are in right now)? Maybe AVS should start a new forum or rename this forum to make it more inclusive.
I am looking for a place to ask questions about DirecTV HD DVRs also. If there's a better place, please let me know.

I want to upgrade my gear (StdDef D* TiVo) to HD. I live in the SF Bay Area where they now have local HD channels on the new sat. Best Buy and Circuit City will sell me the old HR10-250 HD DVR but the new HD DVR for the new sat and local HD channels (HR20?) is not available. I called D* to ask about HD DVR and got bounced to Installation at 888-355-7530. This rep was very knowledgeable about HD and DVRs.

What I learned: 1)They do not have the new (HR20) HD DVR available, 2)They don't know the upgrade prices, 3)They had told people the estimated date it would be available, but apparently that's been changed and the reps are now supposed to tell callers they don't know when the new HD DVR will be available, 4)I can buy the new HD receiver (no DVR) now and will get the 5-LNB dish, but if I buy the old HR10-250 HD DVR, I will get the 3-LNB dish. If I do that, the upgrade to the new HD DVR will also require replacing the dish.

I made no attempt to negotiate and won't until I'm ready to buy. The stock offer on the HR10-250 is $649 (without OTA ant.), and I was told about 3 weeks after I activate the HD package and commit to 24 months of a Total Choice package, they will mail me a $200 rebate form for a net of $449.

I asked the rep if I'd be disappointed if I hoped they new HD DVR would be available by the end of March. He suggested I think more in terms of 7-10 months. He implied they are having heat problems on the new unit and have not finalized it yet. This seems to be different from what I'm reading elsewhere.

I can't live without a DVR, so I'm left with two options: 1)Buy a HR10-250 now and hope the upgrade price next year won't be too high. 2)Wait.

Can you experts set me straight if any of the above is wrong? Any advice?

Thanks very much from a HD newbie.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

There are many threads about this matter in the Tivo forum as well as the dbs forum. Bottom line is people are getting incredible deals (i'm one of them) on the HR10-250 through Directv. The trick is to speak with the customer retention department. If you don't get what you want the first time play CSR roulette.

Read through the threads in the Tivo forum and you will get an idea of the deals people are getting. My deal was:

$499 HR10-250
-$150 customer retention credit
-$200 MIR

$150+$14.95 S&H+tax for the DVR unit

On top of that I received $280 in programing discounts so all told they are paying me!

Also D* will swap out the MPEG2 HR10-250 for the new MPEG4 DVR when available. Good reading...
post #8 of 12 Old 12-06-2005, 08:10 PM

HDDOG, thanks for that post, that is exactly what I was looking for about the availability of the HR20 and I could not find that on the TIVO forum.

I wonder if they are really having problems with the HR20 or they just need to move their existing stock of HR10s, in which case their plan cannot be to replace them all for free. Probably the best we can hope for is that it is tied to some commitment or buying the local channel pkg, etc, but I am skeptical unless people are getting something in writing.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
HDDOG, thanks for that post, that is exactly what I was looking for about the availability of the HR20 and I could not find that on the TIVO forum.

I wonder if they are really having problems with the HR20 or they just need to move their existing stock of HR10s, in which case their plan cannot be to replace them all for free. Probably the best we can hope for is that it is tied to some commitment or buying the local channel pkg, etc, but I am skeptical unless people are getting something in writing.
Just want to make sure that there isnt any confusion on this issue. There is no HR10 or HR20 that I know of. There is an H10 and H20 that are only Directv HDTV tuners and not a Tivo or DVR. I think the H20 is the new Mpeg4 receiver and the H10 is Mpeg2. The HR10-250 is an Mpeg2 HDTV receiver/tivo unit that is still being sold but will not be able to receive Mpeg4 content. The new HD Mpeg4 DVR is suppose to be out sometime this summer as the rumors go.

Anyway just wanted to clarify.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-07-2005, 06:15 PM

Sorry, I was just abbreviating as they are referenced correctly on HDDOGs post. I was referring to the HR10-250 and HR20-250.
Discussions on HR20-250 are now banned from the Tivo forum.

Interesting note, I called DTV after seeing HDDogs post and they told that they will be swapping out all HD recievers as they convert to MPEG4, but they are officially not commiting at this time to swapping out the HD DVR. (Doesn't mean no, doesn't mean yes)

I asked her about the availability of the HR20-250, and she said let me check the status of your city. Then she came back and said that my city had not been scheduled for availability yet. Not sure what that means.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-10-2005, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I called D*'s HD TiVo Support, tier 2 -- (800) 695-9251 -- to ask...

* How does manual recording work on the R15 PVR?
Answer: Five minute intervals [just like TiVo -- bad]
* Padding amounts?
Answer: -1,2,3,4,5,10; +1,2,4,5,15,30,60,90,180 [no +3 -- TiVo omits +3 AND +4]
* Snapback (autocorrection) after FFx2, FFx3...?
Answer: No, TiVo has it patented; use Instant Replay
* 30-sec skip, maybe as a secret code?
Answer: No [the supervisor actually tried TiVo's S-P-S-30-S sequence]

Of course I said:
* D* should've licensed autocorrection
* For me the lack of 30-sec skip is a deal-breaker
* The lack of smart autocorrection just makes it worse
* I'll be waiting for Comcast's TiVo box.

I told them that it looks like D* copied some bad TiVo ideas slavishly, while dropping two of TiVo's best features.

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package
Frank  TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
post #12 of 12 Old 12-11-2005, 04:47 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
There's already an HDTV Recorders and Players Forum here at AVS, i'd say it goes there ;)

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page