8300HD Component Out to a SDTV Component In - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-24-2005, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had digital cable installed with a 8300HD DVR by TWC. I have a 4 year old Sony rear projection that has the capability for component input. The 8300 HD has component output but when I connect the two using red, green blue cable all I get is a black screen with a bunch of light dots. TWC here in Cincy does not support the setup mode of the 8300HD. My picture is good with the second output from the 8300HD to my normal input ports but I thought that component input would be even better. Two question, 1 - am I correct in thinking that component would be better and, 2 - if component is what I want how can I get it with my present set up.

Thanks

John :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-07-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerritt
I just had digital cable installed with a 8300HD DVR by TWC. I have a 4 year old Sony rear projection that has the capability for component input. The 8300 HD has component output but when I connect the two using red, green blue cable all I get is a black screen with a bunch of light dots. TWC here in Cincy does not support the setup mode of the 8300HD. My picture is good with the second output from the 8300HD to my normal input ports but I thought that component input would be even better. Two question, 1 - am I correct in thinking that component would be better and, 2 - if component is what I want how can I get it with my present set up.

Thanks

John:

You need to force the box to run in standard definition mode or it will not display on your non-hdtv. On my HD8000 this is accomplishid by holding down the ch+ button on the box while simultaneously hitting the vol- button. You may need to do this several time and possibly turn on the PIP while doing this. Once you get it working don't turn of the box as it will always default to HD and you will have to set it to SD again.

I am going to trade up tomorrow to the 8300.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-08-2005, 08:17 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick
You need to force the box to run in standard definition mode or it will not display on your non-hdtv. On my HD8000 this is accomplishid by holding down the ch+ button on the box while simultaneously hitting the vol- button. You may need to do this several time and possibly turn on the PIP while doing this. Once you get it working don't turn of the box as it will always default to HD and you will have to set it to SD again.
The 8300HD doesn't work this way like the 8000HD does. With the 8300HD you cannot manually put it into SD mode like you do on the 8000HD, instead the 8300HD's S-Video and Composite Video outputs are active along with the Component outputs. I think the only way to send a 480i signal to a non-HD TV over component would be to go into the Other Settings menu and enable 480i and disable all the other formats. This is with the Passport software, but i don't know if it works the same with SARA software.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 11 Old 12-08-2005, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thx both Randy and hammick for your responses. I was able to get into the settings using the 8300HD remote and enable 480i and everything video is working using component. Now I have another problem in that even though I have an optical cable between the 8300HD and my Sony receiver's TV/SAT audio port I only get Dolby Digital 2/0 for broadcasts that are supposed to be in DD 5.1. I know the receiver works for DD 5.1 because I have a coax connection between my DVD and the receiver DVD/LD port and when I start a DVD the receiver displays "Dolby Digital 5/0". I have gone into the settings on the 8300HD and my receiver and have set everything to DD but no good. Cincy TWC doesn't support the 8300HD setup as described in the 8300HD guides so settings is my only option.
I don't have coax capability for the TV/SAT port on my receiver, only optical so I can't change to coax to see if that will work. I have optical capability on my receiver for TV/SAT and DVD/LD only and coax for DVD/LD only. Any ideas? Cincy TWC is useless when I call them about this problem, they say the problem is in my receiver. :)
post #5 of 11 Old 12-08-2005, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Thx both Randy and hammick for your responses. I was able to get into the settings using the 8300HD remote and enable 480i and everything video is working using component. Now I have another problem in that even though I have an optical cable between the 8300HD and my Sony receiver's TV/SAT audio port I only get Dolby Digital 2/0 for broadcasts that are supposed to be in DD 5.1. I know the receiver works for DD 5.1 because I have a coax connection between my DVD and the receiver DVD/LD port and when I start a DVD the receiver displays "Dolby Digital 5/0". I have gone into the settings on the 8300HD and my receiver and have set everything to DD but no good. Cincy TWC doesn't support the 8300HD setup as described in the 8300HD guides so settings is my only option.
I don't have coax capability for the TV/SAT port on my receiver, only optical so I can't change to coax to see if that will work. I have optical capability on my receiver for TV/SAT and DVD/LD only and coax for DVD/LD only. Any ideas? Cincy TWC is useless when I call them about this problem, they say the problem is in my receiver. :)

I just picked up my 8300hd today and I haven't had a chance to play with it but I do have two thoughts.

1. Look through the settings on the 8300 and see if there is an audio setting to enable Dolby Digital.

2. I assume most broadcasts are not in Dolby Digital. Tune to something like HBO that you know should be in DD and then see if you tuner kicks in the DD.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-09-2005, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

hammick,

Thanks for the reply. I have gone into the 8300HD settings and set it for Dolby Digital. I thought when a show displays "In DD 5.1", like CSI or an NFL game it would cause the receiver to kick in. Are you saying that even though that message is displayed not necessarily is TWC here in Cincy transmitting it in DD 5.1?

post #7 of 11 Old 12-09-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:
hammick,

Thanks for the reply. I have gone into the 8300HD settings and set it for Dolby Digital. I thought when a show displays "In DD 5.1", like CSI or an NFL game it would cause the receiver to kick in. Are you saying that even though that message is displayed not necessarily is TWC here in Cincy transmitting it in DD 5.1?

John:

I am going to try it on my receiver to see. I have TWC in Kansas City. I think I have an optical in on the front of my Pioneer Elite. I will report back.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-09-2005, 06:02 PM

Quote:
hammick,

John:

Using a coax digital connection my receiver would kick into 5.1 on most of the high def channels and some of the HBO, Showtime and Starz channels. On the regular channels I never received a 5.1 and only occasionaly would I receive a 2.0 digital connection.

Try HB) channel 301 or the high def channels and I bet you receiver will kick in.

Let me know if you need me to try an optical cable.

Tell me a specific show time and channel that should be in 5.1 and I will tune it in if I can.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-12-2005, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

hammick,

thx for the reply. I will try as you suggested to see if I can get the DD to kick in. I'll let you know what I find. Is there a chance that the optical cable could be the problem since coax is what I have at the DVD/LD port and it works?

post #10 of 11 Old 12-12-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
hammick,

thx for the reply. I will try as you suggested to see if I can get the DD to kick in. I'll let you know what I find. Is there a chance that the optical cable could be the problem since coax is what I have at the DVD/LD port and it works?

I wouldn't think it would make a difference. I simply unplugged the coax from my DVD player and plugged it into the 8300hd and I received DD 5.1 on the channels I listed above. On many other channels I received DD 2.0 signals.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-15-2005, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Well I worked with TWC tech support last night to figure out the DD 5.1 problem with my setup. Seems that while the 900 channels televise in HDTV they are also the channels that transmit in DD 5.1 while the standard channels do not. Example WKRC in Cincy broadcasts on channel 12 (912 in HDTV) but DD 5.1 will only work on 912 and not 12 even though the installer said that 12 is broadcast in digital (SDTV). What a confusing setup. :)
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page