Indigita's AVHD250 - HD DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-03-2005, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a Samsung HL-R5078W TV w/IEEE1394 firewire, CableCard, and TV Guide support. I want to be able to record HDTV/DTV programs and found a product that seems do what I'm looking for. Its Indigita's AVHD250 - HD DVR. The question I have is how does one setup to perform a timer recording? The TV manual does not mention how this can be done with firewire devices attached.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-08-2005, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Dave I sent you a PM
post #3 of 12 Old 12-08-2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack59
I just purchased a Samsung HL-R5078W TV w/IEEE1394 firewire, CableCard, and TV Guide support. I want to be able to record HDTV/DTV programs and found a product that seems do what I'm looking for. Its Indigita's AVHD250 - HD DVR. The question I have is how does one setup to perform a timer recording? The TV manual does not mention how this can be done with firewire devices attached.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave
Wow, Dave, I'm so glad I found your post - I've been searching for the same (Samsung HLR4667W DLP and an RCA DVR2160 firewire AVHDD) answer for 2 weeks now. Did you manage to find a solution?

When I called Samsung support, they basically told me that I could only use the built in TV Guide Recording Scheduling to record onto a non D-LINK (or DTV-, i., firewire, IEEE1394, etc.) device. The recording device has to be composite, s-vid, etc. In addition, the way the recording works is...

1) when the predetermined time occurs, the tv sends an infrared "power on" command to the recording device via G-Link
2) it then sends the commands to change the channel on the specified recording device to the channel containing the desired content (the show you want to record)
3) and then sends the signal to record.

So, since our AVHDDs are neither traditionally connected (firewire) or are able to receive the infrared signal via G-link (mine was not shipped with a remote control), the only hope they could give me was that I would be able to get RCA support to tell me how to access a hidden onboard scheduling interface on the AVHDD. I find that somewhat unlikely.

The only things I can think of that would potentially solve the issue are:

a) Samsung has a firmware update that installs a "record to d-link device" capability, or...
b) There is some way to add an onboard guide/scheduler to the AVHDD, accessible via the d-link control gui that currently allows me to do all the basic "transport fuctions" (stop, rec, play, ff, rev, pause, etc).

Would be interested to hear your (and anyone else's) thoughts. Thanks!
post #4 of 12 Old 12-09-2005, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Jake,

No I have not found a solution for this yet, but it sounds like your solution "a" should work. I wasn't sure from your post if Samsung actually has a firmware update or that your were suggesting that as one possible soulution.

I sure would like to find a solution for this. Currently my cable provider STB only has an 80GB HD which only allows about 8 Hrs of HD recording. They also don't support the DVI or IEEE 1394 connection that are available on the unit - not sure why? I'm stuck with Component Video connection.

Dave
post #5 of 12 Old 12-09-2005, 06:23 AM

Dave,

As of yet, I'm not aware of an existing firmware update from Samsung. However, after reading a few other threads, and learning that the RCA OEMs this AVHDD device from Indigita, I now think it might be more feasible that Indigita has a solution for the DVR end of the equation. I've e-mailed their support department, will let you know what I hear back.

Luckily, the information Indigita has for the product on their website notes that these devices are firmware upgradeable via the firewire port - so there is hope.

Question - does your Indigita AVHDD have a DVI port on the back? My RCA-branded one only has 2 x 6-pin firewire.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-09-2005, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebryant
Question - does your Indigita AVHDD have a DVI port on the back? My RCA-branded one only has 2 x 6-pin firewire.
All of these lables should only have 2x1394 ports
as shown in the other thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=46218

Indigita AVHD IEEE 1394 Hard Disc Drive
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=602499
post #7 of 12 Old 12-09-2005, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode1
All of these lables should only have 2x1394 ports
as shown in the other thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...chmentid=46218

Indigita AVHD IEEE 1394 Hard Disc Drive
Yeah, I figured as much - was just curious since Dave had mentioned a DVI port in his post above. I guess I'm still trying to piece together just how similar my RCA DVR2160 is to the Indigita AVHDD (assuming RCA OEMs from Indigita) - I'm sure there were some alterations other than just the housing.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-09-2005, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebryant
I guess I'm still trying to piece together just how similar my RCA DVR2160 is to the Indigita AVHDD (assuming RCA OEMs from Indigita) - I'm sure there were some alterations other than just the housing.
From my research, they are the SAME, only the firmware that id's the units fluctuate. Since the abilities of the controller chip is programmable, there may be some options enabled or not between on the labels. I doubt there really is anything substationally different even at the software level.

No need to assume that RCA had Indigita make them, it is fact.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-09-2005, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode1
From my research, they are the SAME, only the firmware that id's the units fluctuate. Since the abilities of the controller chip is programmable, there may be some options enabled or not between on the labels. I doubt there really is anything substationally different even at the software level.

No need to assume that RCA had Indigita make them, it is fact.
Excellent, thanks for verifying that. Nice to know that I can research the unit under the Indigita name and not be barking up the wrong tree.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-10-2005, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Jake,

I think diode1 answered your question already. I haven't purchased the unit yet. Just doing some research so far. But the Indigita unit comes with 2 Firewire ports only.

I was going to post Indigita's URL but it wont let me untill after 5 posts.

Dave
post #11 of 12 Old 12-16-2005, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw the RCA DVR2160for less than $100 on sale ... I guess it is safe to conclude that these things don't work. I have a Comcast 6412 III DVR with firewire and a Samsung HLR5668W 1080p HDTV with firewire, but I'm thinking that the unit probably has compatiblity issues and won't work.

> Bill
post #12 of 12 Old 12-17-2005, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

They indeed work
They work as long as your display supports them.
All control over the DVR is solely dependent on the display being used.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page