Tivo or replaytv? trying to choose - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-06-2005, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
leaning towards Tivo (from weaKnees), but now see that replaytv units can be upgraded with large drives as well.

Anybody have or have had both so you know first hand how they compare.

I should mention that my intent is to manage recordings from the road (trucker) and transfer files to my computer (or external HD if that can happen) to view on computer or burn DVD's.

Almost ready to order 290 hour unit and DVD recorder from weaKnees. (will make a separate post asking for opinions on weaKnees)

thanks

steve b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-06-2005, 05:17 PM

I've had a ReplayTV and it was very easy to upgrade the HD as well as download video to one's computer.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-07-2005, 05:44 PM

I don't think there is really any comparison .. the Tivo is a market leading product, Replay is dead ..

Tivo has HMO , Tivo has Tivo2go, Tivo is getting more every day .. Replay hasn't had a new feature in years and its "base" features aren't even as good .. no wishlists, inferior search, no "tivoguide".

The only benefit replay has is that it has component output ..
post #4 of 13 Old 12-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

I had a Tivo before I got my ReplayTV and I've been much happier with the ReplayTV.

I'm not an expert, take my advice at your own risk.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-10-2005, 01:46 PM

Sparco,

When did you have your Tivo ?

What could you possibly like more about the Replay ? The ONLY feature the replay had going for it was the online sharing of content, which new units can not do.

And now that Tivo has HMO and Tivo2GO it is light years ahead of the Replay. You can share your tivo shows between tivo boxes, download your shows to your computer, get all kinds of internet content on your tivo box .. the Replay is stuck in standstill ..
post #6 of 13 Old 12-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Well, admittedly, I've had my ReplayTV for about 7-8 years.

When Tivo and ReplayTV first came out all I heard was how much better Tivo was than Replay.. Even though I liked the ReplayTV better I bowed to the superior knowledge of the majority and bought the Tivo. The first Tivo had terrible tiling problems, the second unit did too, the third one wasn't as bad but still the lowest recording setting was unwatchable.

I returned the Tivo and got my money back.

I bought my Panasonic 3030 (ReplayTV) from Mercata.com (no longer exists) for 275 dollars with free lifetime updates. It has 30 hours of recording time at its lowest setting and I found the lowest setting for the Replay to be just as good as Tivo's highest setting.

I also hated, hated, hated, Tivo's menu screen. It may have changed since but then it was a truncated mess. The ReplayTV has a grid just like TV guide. It was far superior to Tivo.

I also loved the 30 second skip on the ReplayTV. I never use fast forward because the skip is so handy. Tivo did not have this feature.

There was no question in my mind that ReplayTV was for me and Tivo was for the people who blindly liked Sony CRT's, Honda cars, and Starbucks.. I swear it was like a cult,

post #7 of 13 Old 12-19-2005, 03:38 PM

I don't see how you could have had your replay for 7-8 years when Tivo's didnt come out until Fall of 99 and the replays came out after that.

Anyway the issue is now moot ..

Replay is no longer making pvr's so buying one would be a very bad investment :

http://www.betanews.com/article/Repl...are/1135004674
post #8 of 13 Old 12-19-2005, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

If the purpose is to "manage recordings from the road (trucker) and transfer files to my computer (or external HD if that can happen) to view on computer or burn DVD's" the Replay machines will handle this very well. I have 2 HDTivos and 2 Replays. While it's true that the Replays are stuck in time, there are a lot of thing that I like better about them than the Tivos, and the leading feature is the ease of transfer of recordings. I also like the UI better on the Replay, although the Tivos have some other really useful features (like the To Do list and season passes).

The future product plans don't make this a bad investment if the current product does what you want it to do. I use my Replays to provide content I watch on my laptop while traveling on a regular basis.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekl
I don't see how you could have had your replay for 7-8 years when Tivo's didnt come out until Fall of 99 and the replays came out after that.

Anyway the issue is now moot ..

Replay is no longer making pvr's so buying one would be a very bad investment :

http://www.betanews.com/article/Repl...are/1135004674
The issue may be moot but if ReplayTV came out in 1999, and we're just about in 2006, then 7 years wouldn't be too far off..

it's like asking me how long have I had my Sony TV. Some days I''l say 7 years, others i'd say 6. Who in their right mind keeps track of such things?

post #10 of 13 Old 12-27-2005, 08:25 PM

All I can say is that I have owned a ReplayTV for about 5 years, (just bought another one 6 months ago) and love it. I record my shows at medium quality (MPEG2 around 8Mbps) and then use a free Windows application, DVarchive, that emulates another ReplayTV to download the shows for editing. I then use Womble to cut commercials without the need to re-encode and burn them to DVD. Since the Replays have ethernet built-in there is no need for any "hacks" and we can watch shows upstairs that were recorded downstairs and vice-versa. Replay's Menu and name based recording is more intuitive (for me ;) ) than my father's Tivo. Not to mention the fact that there is no "Marketing Research" information uploading that has received so much negative press with Tivo. I've upgraded both of my DVRs to 250GB, taking about an hour each, without issue. I have nothing but praise for the ReplayTVs. Regarding the refocus on PC-based software with Hauppauge, I think it's a smart move on their part with Microsoft's MCE gaining popularity (it also uses the Hauppauge card) and the market for HTPCs growing. Plus, they've said they'll continue to support their legacy DVRs. Four years ago, most trade rags said that ReplayTV would fail and succumb to Tivo because of SonicBlue's legal battle over their commercial advance feature. (The best commercial advance period, if you own a 5000 series BTW) It didn't happen then and I feel confident that it won't happen now.

This is just my opinion though, for what it's worth. :)

Hope this helps!
post #11 of 13 Old 12-29-2005, 08:19 AM

For me the two no brainers for going with ReplayTV for SDTV are internet video sharing and commercial advance, but you have to find an older 4000 series or 5000 series to do this. It's so cool to watch a TV show and automatically have the commercials skipped WITHOUT the touch of a button. Call me lazy but I hate having to press the 30 second skip button 10 times during MTV commercials. I also think its so cool to be able to share shows with other ReplayTV owners over the internet at Poopli.com. I have WiRNS, DVArchive and IVSMagic setup too for my ReplayTV and these programs really enhance the functionality of the ReplayTV.

I actually have both and I use TiVo to watch movies and ReplayTV to watch TV shows with commercials. At this point though I'm more interested in recording HDTV which is why I also have a Comcast 6412 DVR. Unfortunately its DVR features are vary primitive compared to ReplayTV and TiVo's.

"70 percent of the cost in health care is from chronic disease, & chronic diseases come from really 3 big things-from obesity, lack of exercise & smoking."
Toby Cosgrove CEO - Cleveland Clinic
post #12 of 13 Old 12-30-2005, 09:34 AM

I had Tivo & Replay until about a year ago. Sold my Tivo (for a profit) and now just have a network of Replays. I recommend getting at least one of the 50xx units off ebay to integrate with your network if you go with Replay. Tivo may catch up to Replay in many ways but will never offer what you can get with 50xx's.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-04-2006, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekl
Wrong. ReplayTV's RTV-2000 line was released in 98.

Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page