Howto copy a DVD to a Mobile Video Recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-06-2005, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at buying a Mobile Video Recorder, like the Archos AV700. What I want to do with it, is be able to copy DVD's that I own, into the Archos unit, and later let the kids play them back when we are away from home. Unlike with a portable DVD player, the DVD's can stay safely at home.

It appears that there is a way to do it, but everywhere I read, they seem to dance around the issue. Basically providing, what I assume, are tidbits here and there, and allowing the reader to attempt to put the entire process together.

While it seems that one could just connected up the video/audio outs from a DVD player to the inputs on the Archos unit, and manually record for 2+ hours, I figured there must be a better file-to-file way of doing it using a PC with a DVD drive rather than a standalone DVD player.

Their manual has a section called "Transferring your CD collection to the AV700", there is no "Transferring your DVD collection...". :(

There is a rather large section in their manual talking about converting video file formats into the one used by the AV700 ( .avi or MPEG4, I think). It mentions about a dozen programs which, each, can do part of the job. But it doesn't tell you, exactly, how to get from point "A" to point "B" (DVD disc in your PC's drive to a file xfer'ed into the AV700.

I figured someone out there must have already tried this, know if it can be done (or not), and is willing to share the recipe.
Closed Thread Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page